Ecstasy Believed To Have Killed Girl, 13

Discussion in 'Ecstasy & MDMA' started by Alfa, Feb 9, 2006.

1. Alfa

Alfa Productive Insomniac Staff Member Administrator

Reputation Points:
    117 y/o from The Netherlands
    ECSTASY BELIEVED TO HAVE KILLED GIRL, 13
    Montreal-Area Death
    MONTREAL - A 13-year-old girl has died after taking what is believed to have been Ecstasy at a friend's house.
    Police say the teenager took the substance while on a weekend visit with a 14-year-old friend in Hudson, about 40 kilometres west of Montreal, on Saturday. During the visit, the pair decided to go over to the nearby home of a 16-year-old friend. His parents were not home at the time.
    "During the night, the two girls consumed a drug that we suspect was Ecstasy. [Investigators] think it was that. We can't confirm it, but that is what we were told was consumed," said Constable Marc Butz of the Quebec provincial police.
    Later that night, the two girls returned to the 14-year-old's home, where the younger one began feeling sick.
    At approximately 3 a.m. on Sunday, the 14-year-old girl's mother called an ambulance when the 13-year-old's situation became serious.
    The girl, whose name is under a court-ordered publication ban, was no longer breathing when ambulance technicians arrived. She was taken to the Montreal Children's' Hospital, where she was placed on an artificial respirator. She died on Monday.
    The 14-year-old girl did not report feeling sick even though she consumed what investigators have been told was the same illicit drug (also known as methylenedioxymethamphetamine), Const. Butz said.
    At the 13-year-old girl's high school, in a town west of Montreal, administrators issued a notice to students letting them know social workers were available if they wanted to talk about her death.
    Marcus Tabachnick, chairman of the Lester B. Pearson School Board, of which the girl's school is a part of, said he fears teenagers underestimate the danger of consuming such drugs as Ecstasy.
    "It's a social problem," Mr. Tabachnick said. "There's a popular belief that Ecstasy is a safe drug and as long as you keep the person hydrated it's fine.
    "I think society is taking a much too soft approach to drugs. All this stuff can harm you."
    The 16-year-old boy was arrested on Sunday, hours after the girl was taken to the hospital. The youth, who was released after his court appearance on Monday, faces charges of drug possession, drug trafficking and obstructing a police investigation. Police said yesterday the girl's death might mean further charges will be filed against him.

Source: National Post (Canada)

2. pumped3.16

pumped3.16 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    people who deal to kids should be shot.

3. bcStoner420

bcStoner420 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    True in most cases but in this one the one who dealt was only 16 himself. Sure, he's a little older and knows more what he's actually doing but he still probably doesn't realize the actual dangers/problems that can arise from this. The charges he's getting are quite extreme, probably just twisted his life right around.

This makes me wonder about those myths like 1 in every 10 people die from E etc. It seems many more people die from E for no apparant reason much much more than any other drugs. Then again when dealing with E there is always a big chance you are dealing with other chemicals also (you never know what's in those pills unless you test em).

4. IHrtHalucingens

IHrtHalucingens Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o
    In many of the "drug-related" deaths involving ecstacy its not the ecstacy that kilsl them its other random bullshit that gets put into them. If say drugs were legalized and monitored for quality and purity there would be far less risk of accidental overdosing and ingesting an unknown substance that may or may not be harmful to your body.

5. Jatelka

Jatelka Psychedelic Shepherdess Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Small Rant

SWIM disagrees, it's virtually impossible to get straight answers in cases where the family/the police/the press have decided that a death is due to MDMA. We never get the real story. Like: How much alcohol had these people drunk? What other drugs had they taken? How much water had they been advised to drink by well meaning but ill-advised parents? (Leah Betts). We also never have the "pills" tested so we don't know what weird/toxic adulterants might have contributed to the death. Toxicology data post mortem can't give all the answers, although the "just say no brigade" would have you believe otherwise.

SWIM appreciates that MDMA is not risk free but thinks there is a powerful political movement to persuade people that it's much more harmful than it is. We've heard that the "seminal" scientific study that claimed that MDMA caused brain damage actually injected monkeys with meth. SWIM wonders what else we might learn in years to come?

There's a dangerous misinformation campaign regarding MDMA and I think that we need to strongly refute it's claims rather than starting to believe the hype.

6. xpr´k

xpr´k Newbie

Reputation Points:

Stoner in holland there are hardcore parties with tens of thousands of partygo'ers where its safe to say about 50% of the attendents are using MDMA. The first aid stand does has there hands full but actuall deaths are rare, especially when only MDMA is consumed. Most problems arise when people start mixing coke or amphetamines together with MDMA which increases the risk of hydratation which is allready a major issue at those parties because the ambient temperature is 30°c or higher.
    That 1 in 10 myth is rubbish, there's just to many users vs actuall MDMA deaths.
    Most deaths where 'XTC' is blamed are the results of mixing different kind of drugs or adulterated pills which contain mCPP or PMA etc.
    Using pure MDMA is relatively safe the major problem is getting your hands it, to much rubbish being sold these days.

7. Urban

Urban Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    how messed up would you have to be to deal to a child?
    makes me sick
    :(
    x

8. Abrad

Abrad R.I.P. Platinum Member & Advisor R.I.P.

Reputation Points:
    Hypronataemia is also the cause of alot of "esctasy related deaths".

9. bcStoner420

bcStoner420 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Let me clarify..

I know that 1 in 10 thing is a myth which is why I called it that in the first place, and I also did mention other chemicals in my first post. What I meant to say I guess is that there are more deaths where other people took the same amount and the other person dies, both with no tolerance. Which is just wierd, there are these "inconsistant" deaths that just don't seem to match up.

10. sands of time

sands of time Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    I think that before MDMA was made illegal, there were no deaths that resulted from people taking it. Way to protect the people!

11. Tony Blair

Tony Blair Newbie

Reputation Points:
    ^ fact. Summized well.

12. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    "Our laws will kill your children. You hate them as much as we do! Vote for us!" - anon.

13. napoleon in rags

napoleon in rags Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    definatly. QFMFT

14. Icecool

Icecool Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Here in the netherlands on a rave party of 4000 people.
    Like 80% uses speed or XTC and normally no one dies....lol.
    Probably a too large of a dose for such a small child.
    Like if the child weighs 40kg and you give it 140mg MDMA for the first time, maybe even mixed with amphetamine, not drinking water that is just asking to die...
    Even if it is very harsh to say that.

15. raven3davis

raven3davis R.I.P. Palladium Member R.I.P.

Reputation Points:
    Here is My stand on this. SHIT happens. Every day people die doing normal mundane choirs. Death is a part of life, which unfortunately some experience too soon. MDMA is a relitively safe drug though. When taken in proper doses without combining with other drugs it is very unlikely that you will die. There is always that slight chance however. There is a slight chance you will have a heart attack too. Add a drug into the mix and of course your chances of dying will increase.

Get in your car and drive to work and you will be risking death. We as human beings are always risking death and taking a powerful drug like MDMA is just putting more strain on your body. Most people will be able to handle it but there are always those select few who react extremely negatively. This could really go with any drug though, but with something like MDMA, your heart beat will increase and you dehydrate so any number of conditions could cause your body to shut down. This is My opinion on this. Drugs like MDMA are not natural. It puts our body in an unnatural state which normally does not cause complications but there are always exceptions.

In most cases, this probably would have happend. Granted the girls age, she was probably quite small and fragile which was just nother ingredient added to this recipe for disaster. It could have been a number of things which killed the girl and probably was a combonation of things.

What a tragedy though. This just goes to show that people need to be responsible and safe. No matter what, by living, we are risking death. There is no way to avoid death and no matter what, our final destination will be death. Its just a matter of when where and how it happens. If you skydive, then you are putting yourself at a greater risk of death. The chances are small, but there is always that freak accident where something goes wrong. Same thing with drugs. There will always be that freak accident with ust about every drug, where someone just couldnt handle it. The consequences are much greater if you cannot phsyically handle a drug. Mental complications are almost always reversible but physical complications could result in death. This is just a sad case that probably could have been avoided, but in no way should MDMA be looked down upon and be called a dangerous drug etc. Life is dangerous, and is just one tragic event waiting to happen.

16. Alfa

Alfa Productive Insomniac Staff Member Administrator

Reputation Points:
    117 y/o from The Netherlands
    BOY PLEADS GUILTY AFTER DRUG DEATH
    The 16-year-old Hudson boy who gave a 13-year-old Rigaud girl ecstasy before she died this month has pleaded guilty to most of the charges filed against him.
    The boy pleaded guilty to eight of 12 charges he was facing after being investigated by the Surete du Quebec in the death of Stevie Reilly. He appeared in Youth Court in Valleyfield yesterday.
    The boy's name cannot be published.
    In exchange for his guilty plea, four charges were withdrawn - including the most severe one, an accusation that he sexually assaulted the girl weeks before she took ecstasy at his home on Feb. 5.
    Stevie began feeling sick almost immediately after taking ecstasy at the
    boy's house. She lost consciousness and was taken to Montreal Children's Hospital, where she died the next day.
    During the 16-year-old's bail hearing last week, the court heard evidence the girl consented to having sex with him. But at 13, Stevie was one year away from the age of consent.
    The boy pleaded guilty to sexually touching a minor and to inviting a minor to touch him in a sexual manner. He also pleaded guilty to attempting to obstruct a police investigation. As well, he pleaded guilty to three counts of drug trafficking and two counts of violating an agreement he had made to keep the peace after he was investigated in November for uttering death threats.
    The boy is to remain in custody until March 16 for a sentencing hearing.

Source: Montreal Gazette (CN QU)