effect of speed on teeth

Discussion in 'Amphetamine' started by titanic, Oct 8, 2007.

1. titanic

titanic Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Hello everyone,

Tried to search for my question in the forums but noone has really addressed this iisue before.. I would like to clarify 2 things..

1)to know how speed is bad for one's teeth?

2)is consuming 1 gram of speed/week considered heavy use?

below some info for further diagnosis:
    Dosage: I am an occasional user ( thats what he thinks) of speed and discovered it 4 months back. I was a heavy drinker before and now does not drink alcohol AT ALL after discovering speed. He does it usually ONLY at the weekends, usually saturday and has an amazing day with her partner doing outdoor activities and winds up at night with a spliff (grass) or two...

Type of Speed: I do not know whether it is Meth or Amp he is taking.. asked is source but source cannot confirm either. It is an off-white, plasticy smelling powder when dried but comes as a wet (not putty like) ammonia-like smelling paste.. any idea if this is meth or amph?

Administration: Since I do not like snorting ( bad for the nose lining...?) he usually mixes it in a drink.

Dosage: SWIm usually takes a pinchful ( does not know how many mgs to be exact)

Effects:
    positive- A funfilled saturday, euphoria, good rush, better communication with partner, etc etc.. the ususal..
    negative- the usual imsomnia on saturday night (although I took only 1 dose at noon... )which makes the sunday a bit tiring and SWIM spends the day at home reenergising.!

So thus far, I have not noticed any negative effects on my health due to this and on the contrary SWIm feels great that he does not drink anymore (albeit with help of speed) HOWEVER, I have recently read a few posts about teeth being ruined if speed taken orally....

Since SWIm is very proud of his teeth and keeps them in top shape he was wondering if anyone can sed some light on this,,?:)

I would like to know if its meth or amp he is taking, so can anyone tell by the description what this substance is? :confused:

Finally, SWIm is aware that any type of chemical drug is definatley a no go for the body.. however I believe that if done in moderation and wisely its not THAT bad after all.....so from the dosage given above ( 1gm/week) what do you think? is it too much? ok? :thumbsdown:is this dosage be harmful if this habit is continued over a longer period of time..

Thank you all for reading and posting your reply..:applause:

2. enquirewithin

enquirewithin Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from bermuda
    1g a week could be said to be too much (although many have taken much more). Common sense would say don't take this amount over a long period of time.

Not sure what You is taking from the description. If it is amphetamine, it must be badly made, although the effects You describes do sound like speed of some sort.

Taking it orally is probably the safest way.

Remember: keep brushing teeth regularly (and flossing too) keeps teeth nice and white and shiny!

Last edited: Oct 11, 2007
  3. dsl39uf

dsl39uf Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Amphetamines themselves are not bad for teeth. It is the side effects from using speed that cause tooth dacay. Side effects such as tooth grinding, tooth clenching, lack of saliva or cotton mouth, lack of oral hygiene, and consumption of sugary foods/drinks.

As for identification, there is no telling WTF You has there. It is impossible to determine since there are 50 other drugs which can be described the same way.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2007
  4. vcdman

vcdman Newbie

Reputation Points:
    i heard somewhere that speed strips your teeth of there natural protection...
    Is this true?
    Is that just a lack of saliva?

5. enquirewithin

Reputation Points:
    from bermuda
    ^No, it's as SWIdsl39uf says, it stops you producing saliva and many users don't clean their teeth often.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2007
  6. merc11292

merc11292 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    dry mouth messes with your mouth a bit, thats already been addressed, but i dont think it does anything to 1's teeth unless its smoked, or the teeth are neglected.

7. beentheredonethatagain

beentheredonethatagain Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from California, U.S.A.
    speed (meth) gives a yuk mouth and teeth feel dirty always, even with regular brushing and mouth wash. NIK never can get that clean feeling while on it. breath is a give away to a night of cranking

8. enquirewithin

Reputation Points:
    from bermuda
    Yeah, speed gives you halitosis!

9. THCHOG

THCHOG Newbie

Reputation Points:
    SWIM 2 You the precursor for the potential problem lies in the statement of You no longer drinks now, You may find most things You did before gogo get tossed aside just as quickly. If You places
    Code:
    meth mouth
    in thegoogle the first result leads to the wiki page on the subject and gives You some more info to absorb, though drinking is not likely to cause such horrible effects I would hope.

SwiM wishes SwiY All the Best...

10. enquirewithin

Reputation Points:
    from bermuda
    "Meth mouth"

11. piscesmoonchild

piscesmoonchild Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Actually, I have noted from more than one source that Amphetamines stop the body from absorbing calcium, so it is a good idea if You takes calcium supplements not only whilst using speed but during the rest of the week as well. Not only could You be destroying you's teeth but there is also the risk of osteoporosis later on.

12. solartrinity

solartrinity Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Swim spent 15 yrs doing speed heavilly and kept her teeth clean and looked after but as the last post said it does cause a calcium deficiency and I has only a few teeth left that havent been pulled out or filled or crowned at the dentist. I have had tooth ache in teeth that looked healthy and even the dentist said didnt look like there was a problem there but the calcium deficiency rots the teeth from the inside out. Heavy use of speed also causes receeding gums and that allows unprotected parts of your teeth to be exposed to acid in your mouth and so cause them to rot. Teeth clenching and grinding also wears them out.

13. Hydro9177

Hydro9177 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    43 y/o
    Yeah, SWIM'S dentist knew I had amethamphetamine problem back in the day. No doubt, it has a bad effect on teeth

14. INSANEPOOKIE

INSANEPOOKIE Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    http://www.oralcancerfoundation.org/dental/xerostomia.htm

So, the lessons for today are:

Follow through with normal mouth/teeth maintenance (dental hygiene).
    Look into possible saliva substitutes and dentifrices. SWIM assumes, without research, that these would help counter the destruction of the users precious mouth.

...Perhaps a more detailed look into saliva stimulants.
    And, take your damn multivitamin(s).

15. some_random_guy

some_random_guy Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from Idaho, U.S.A.
    My friend tried speed for the first time yesterday, and he claims that his jaw is still sore as fuck today. A more experienced speed user said their jaw was fine.

The more experienced user proclaims she has been using speed for 8 years, and her teeth have never shown any signs of amphetamine being a catalyst in tooth decay.

16. HabitualCriminal

HabitualCriminal Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Its not meth your taking, dont worry lol, its the most common type of speed where I live in the UK and its usually referred to as "base". Swim loves base but hasn't had any in ages, think swim might treat themself this weekend lol

17. Suave

Suave Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Amphetamine is pretty bad for one's teeth both because of jaw clenching and grinding, and because it gets into the saliva and erodes the teeth (at least if snorting).

One gram of speed per week is quite a lot. It all depends on whether You is dependent on it? Could You quit taking it for an extended period of time without problem? If so, perhaps s/he should do so for a few weeks, just to test whether s/he has any psychological cravings.

The substance in question sounds like it's just ordinary base, like HabitualCriminal suggests. Meth has quite different effects (marked paranoia, markedly increased libido, tweaking, long duration); you'd probably notice the difference.

18. titanic

titanic Newbie

Reputation Points:
    SWIM thanks everyone for their posts.. and to answer 'Suave' yes from the last time I posted this .. (nearly 4 months ago) I have not touched the substance despite it lying in the refrigerator.. so yes SWIM can quit taking it without any problem..

... but .. theres always a BUT..

.. another question that has been bugging SWIM's mind is that the extent of damage that speed does to ones brain.. stomach.. mouth or whatever is so inconsistently written when I tried to do some researching.. most of them leading to the common conclusion that 'above statements are not scientifically proven'

.. SWIM of course knows and understands that ANY kind of drugs are damamging to the body.. but was wondering if he/she takes it once in 3 months or so for fun instead of drinking alcohol... but of course sleeps well, exercises, eats well.. then can the effects be really that damaging..??

can anyone shed some light on this please..? thanks in advance:)

19. penta

penta Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    35 y/o from U.S.A.
    I agree that 1g a week is a little too much. Even though having bad teeth is horrible, speed can cause much more physical damage then that such as aging. Try cutting back to half a g per week. Even though that still may be a lot, it definitely won't do as much physical damage as 1g a week.

20. dutch-marshal

dutch-marshal Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    32 y/o from afghanistan
    never ever use speed on a week to week basis...believe SWIM he did that for about 1 year and the psychological damage is still here..

the negative effect will overpower the positive in the end...