Effects - Effects of Calea Zacatechichi

Discussion in 'Ethnobotanicals' started by Guest, Jun 30, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Reputation Points:
    Or maybe the extract? I tried the tea. The Dream herb tea tasted bitter as hell. Smoked it and really enjoyed it. Anybody tried this or any other ways of consumption?

2. Anarchist

Anarchist Newbie

Reputation Points:
    No, but I've heard it's great. I forgot all about it on my trip to Amsterdam (seems that mushrooms 'occupied' my head)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2007
  3. LudlumFan

LudlumFan Newbie

Reputation Points:
    What is Calea exactly? And whats the feeling like?

4. Sick Jack

Sick Jack Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I got a problem : I never remember my dreams...

So a dude said me on the net that calea, the "Dream Herb" could perhaps help me.

I heard too that marijuana kills the calea effects, is it true ?

And is perhaps my dreaming amnesia a consequence of swim's ganja consumption ????

5. Mellow_natts

Mellow_natts Newbie

Reputation Points:
    What is Calea exactly? And whats the feeling like?

Calea zacatechichi is a heavily branched shrub traditionally used Chontal Indians to induce a sleep state rich withlucid dreams.

I heard too that marijuana kills the calea effects, is it true

There are many conflicting reports of marijuana either inhancing or deminishing the effectiveness of a variety of substances. To date all these report remain anecdotal and is really a decision that should be reached by the individual user.

Unlikely but possible I suppose. Some people naturally have a hard time recalling dreams. There are several excercises you can preform to increase you recollection of dreams. I suggest reading up on lucid dreaming.

6. sands of time

sands of time Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    Swim bought about 28 grams of the stuff awhile ago. He tried it first with the tea. Let me start off by saying it tasted pretty bad, like soap. Had about one dream late in swim's sleeping state. It wasn't anything special though, just like a normal dream. Swim normally doesn't dream however. He tried it the next time by stuffing somepill shells with the herb. This worked the same, but I had a hard time remembering the dream. He did it again with the pills but I think it kept him awake. Next he tried smoking it. He noticed no change except slight mental clouding. No dreams that night. 1 joint was smoked.

It's a nice thing to try but for swim it was nothing special. There are other dream herbs I am interested in trying however.

7. P4nic

P4nic Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    Yup swim tried it 2 days ago,tastes fucking bitter !!!!!! bleeeeh

It made swim relax that's all nothing much nothing more, can't remember if he had a dream but lately he don't sleep very well (stopped smoking weed) so swill try it again when swim sleeps good again.

8. Smarthead

Smarthead Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from The Netherlands
    If Salvia is the lady then Calea is certainly the male.

Calea zacatechichi is a plant used by the Chiapas and Chontal Indians of Mexico to obtain divinatory messages during dreaming. The Chontal Indians, who believe in visions seen in dreams, take tea of Calea zacatechichi with crushed dried leaves (tastesdisgusting) or smoke cigarettes from the leaves before going to sleep. The Chontal Shaman call it "thepelakano" or leaves of god.

The tea tastes utterly vile (probably the nastiest tasting tea in the world), however, it is said to be not unpleasant to smoke and produces a uniquie high.

Active Constituents: James Duke reported, in his Handbook of Medicinal Herbs, 0.01% of a crystalline alkaloid, C21H26O8. Psychoactive components uncertain but believed to be in aromatic and bitter principle.

9. Pele

Pele Newbie

Reputation Points:
    32 y/o
    I use this alot, although has only smoked it. After he got it, I smoked a cig of it the first day with no results upon dreaming, and the second day smoked another and that night he began to have the most crazy dreams ever.

Before I had tried this stuff, he had only enough dreams he remembered in his whole life span to count on one hand, now 1 cig a day, even skipping days sometimes, gives swim the most amazing dreams.

Every time I has smoked calea he gets this nice mild buzz, and extreme mental clarity. He likes the feeling because it doesn't make him feel stupid like weed does, and lazy / slow.

Most every day swim smokes one cig at night that is composed of 60% calea, 30% kanna, and 10% mj, I say it works like a charm.

10. Chaote

Chaote Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Swim used probabl;y 15g in a boiled extraction and it was the most digusting thing he has ever tasted so he mixed some stuff in to downplay the taste, he still cant drink orange kool baid to this day.

11. genaro

genaro Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    Calea Zacatechichi (aka dream herb) is said to improve dreams and help you remember these. If used on a regular basis (meaning each night for one month maybe) it is also said to increase the frequency of lucid dreams.

I tried calea 3 or 4 times (crushed leaves and flowers, dried,obtained from webshop)
    He took 5g of the finely crushed herb mix and poured 100-150 mL of boiling water over it and let it soak for 30minutes and then filtered the stuff.
    It is drunk on empty stomach (meaning 4h after the last meal, don't eat too much so your body don't feel heavy, and no alcohol as these factors would perturbate dream's occurence and nature).
    Also, I didn't smoke any hash/weed for 4-5hours or more before going to sleep (so it wouldn't kill the dream effect of calea, and weed/hash is known to kill memory of dreams).
    Swim also think it would be better to use calea when you're neither too exhausted nor energetic (at sleep time) so there is a favourable background for dreams to develop within the night.
    So, as said, swim drank the tea 1/2h before going to sleep (taste awful, very very bitter).
    And just 5 minutes before going to bed I smoked a big joint of calea (mixed with some tobacco). He began to feel calm & relaxed (the tea has some definite relaxing effect) and quickly fell asleep.
    I didn't get any lucid dreams but as he waked up in the morning he could remember all his dreams from the night (he had many different strange dreams during the night and could fully remember each of these, from the very first second to the very last one!). Very nice (at this point of swim's life weed/hash use was preventing him from remembering most of my dreams so this was a real surprise).
    But calea effect is unpredictable and irregular as the two other times I used it (same method: tea followed by joint) he had no effect beside some sedation before going to sleep, no dream effect.

I also read that calea can have some slight psychedelic (or inebriating?) effect while awake if used in very high doses (around 30g maybe, not sure).

Also, Swim recently smoked commercial calea 10X extract (leaves & flowers) as a joint (mixed with tobacco 50/50, so that's a big quantity of herbal extract). Almost imediately felt quite relaxed but also very drowsy, meaning intense sedative effect: quickly felt the irresistible need to lay down on the bed, feeling like I was going to be forced to have a nap within a few minutes at most...but finally didn't fall asleep, only remained very sleepy and inactive for 20-30minutes laying on the bed...then sedative effect decreased in intensity and swim found the will to move around again, but still very relaxed and somewhat feeling tired for the next hour or more)

A few other herbs are said to affect dreams...Silene Capensis (african dream root) is one of these (be careful, very little is known about this plant, roots are used, very small quantities such as 250mg of root are reported to be active).
    Entada rheedi (african dream seed) is another one.
    I knew about a few other ones but I just can't remember all of these right now.
    Anyway, calea doesn't work all the time, but when it does it's really nice, and at the least it is an efficient sleep aid.
    Of course wim first experience could be due to chance (dreams occuring for no peculiar reason) or placebo (meaning concentrating on dreams concern at the exact wake up time allowing memory of the dream to remain active in his head), but to swim's opinion, calea can really affect dream (despite I didn't repeat the experience enough times to have it trully validated, empirically)

Last edited: Oct 31, 2007
  12. plantshaman

plantshaman Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    I say that calea definently does something. That something is pretty mild. It has been proven to increase dreaming by about 50 percent and its active ingredient has been isolated but at the moment I can't recall where i found this information.the smoke from this plant is foul and the tea is certainly one of the worste things ever.I say these traditional preperations are not worth the suffering. Its only worth ingesting if you :extract into a gelcap , make a mild tea with a small amount of fresh leaves, have an extract strong enough to get the effects from one or two bong hits. Swim says he prefers to just keep the plant around so that its spirit may grace his garden . I have had very vivid lucid dreams a few times from calea but finds that much better results can be achieved by taking melatonin found in any drug store.

13. Alfa

Alfa Productive Insomniac Staff Member Administrator

Reputation Points:
    117 y/o from The Netherlands
    Plantshaman: any chance on pics of those plants?

14. Bajeda

Bajeda Super Moderator Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    This plant seems interesting. There isn't much hard data on it, but it isn't too expensive, so I think I will order some.

I'll post his experiences when he gets it.

15. Thirdedge

Thirdedge Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Swim ordered a bag of Calea once. When it arrived he opened and smelled the contents of the bag. He did not consume the Calea on this occasion but seemed to feel a sensation of taking off / flying off into a Salvia like trip as he drifted off to sleep that night. Placebo perhaps?

16. chilliker

chilliker Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Calea zacatechichi a.k.a Dream Herb it has been proven that extracts of this plant increase the frequency and/or recollection of dreams. It also has a couple of medical properties. Crushed dried leaves are steeped in hot water, and the resulting tea is drunk slowly, after which the user lies down in a quiet place and smokes a cigarette of the dried leaves of the same plant. The user knows that he or she has taken a large enough dose when a sense of tranquility and drowsiness is experienced and when he hears the beats of his or her own heart and pulse. There are no reports of hangover or other undesirable side effects. The human dose for divinatory purposes reported is a handful of the dried plant. Calea is an extremely bitter. Most users prefer to smoke it rather than making it into a tea beacuase of its taste. Calea is completely legal to grow and sell except in Lusiana.

17. Mona Lisa

Mona Lisa Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I tried it once as a tea and it tasted vile (extremely bitter, like soap)...when I went to sleep she didn't notice any dreams as such; but she felt relaxed and had a hallucination in which it sounded like her pillow had bees buzzing in it.

18. Jamiroquai

Jamiroquai Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    from Zen

I hate to say it here but I don't think so! I think the only reason people overexagerate these "herbs" is so they can justify shelling the big bucks for something that wasn't even in the same state let alone ballpark in regards to being equate to cannabis.

But it does nothing but a diservice to the those who haven't tried it for themselves and thus are more proned to waste their own money on someones dubious marketing scheme.

Having tried these herbs myself I can say this that I say from experience. For the love of God, nothing even comes close to replicating Delta-9 THC. And nothing but Delta-9 THC has a place to be recepted in our brain's receptors.

Not flaming. Just making a point here. And for those of you who disagree I wgot one word for you. And that word is---> psychosematic.

Really I'm not bitching here. Just making a point so don't take it like it may sound in terms of tone of voice.

Peace
    Jam.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2006
    1. 3/5,
      Calea is not a substitute for cannabis. It should be used to different purposes so there's no point in comparing both.
      Oct 25, 2009
  19. Alfa

Alfa Productive Insomniac Staff Member Administrator

Reputation Points:
    117 y/o from The Netherlands
    Re: Gold member source discounts

Potent Calea gives interesting, but still mild effects. Nothing psychosomatic about that. Placebo plays a role in any drug experience IMO. Calea is no replacement for cannabis, but also gives a relaxing high. Potent Calea is better than swag weed IMO.
    An intrinsic problem with psychoactive herbs is potency. Extracts are even more dubious than herbs themselves, as the label extract says nothing about which substances are in there, in what amounts and which substances where lost in there process(if potent herb was used in the first place)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2007
  20. Clevername

Clevername Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Re: The effects of psychoactive herbs???

First off, comparing calea to weed is like comparing caffine to alcohol.

I'd like to beleive the people buy these herbs because they are interested in the unique effects the substance produces, not because they want to get high legally. While I think that's fun, Calea wouldn't be the way to do it.

BTW, she tried Calea and reports that it did add a slight boost to her dream count, though not all were remembered. Possibly a placebo effect, but neat experience overall. Plus dream herb is pretty cheap anyway so why not give it a try?