1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP
    Dismiss Notice

Effects - Effects of fluoxetine (prozac) at high doses

Discussion in 'Antidepressants' started by PIPEMACGYVER, Nov 29, 2011.

1. PIPEMACGYVER

PIPEMACGYVER Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Im aware that fluoxetine is by no means considered a recreational drug, but ive heard crazy stories about people taking 80 mgs and upwards and falling into a manic, delerious state of mind, especially in combination with weed for some reason. All ive managed to find on the internet is a bunch of people just saying "prozac has no recreational value" or "dont fuck with SSRIs retard". Can someone tell me more about this drug? What effects does it cause at doses higher than reccomended?

2. Mindless

Mindless Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    These are some of the potential adverse effects of SSRIs; Gastro-intestinal effects are quite likely at higher doses. There may also be loss appetite, hypersensitiity reactions and rashes. The latter may be a sign of serious systemic reaction and could be accompanied inflammation of blood vessels. There may be swelling beneath the skin, serious allergic reactions, joint and muscle pain, and photosensitivity. Also dry mouth, nervousness, anxiety, headache, insomnia, tremor, dizziness, weakness, hallucinations, drowsiness, convulsions, milky secretions from the breast, sexual dysfunction, urinary retention, sweating, hypomania or mania. Additionally there may be electrolyte disturbance, movement disorders and dyskinesia, visual disturbances, and bleeding disorders.

Additional adverse effects of Fluoxetine include vasodilatation, postural hypotension, pharyngitis, dyspnoea, chills, taste disturbance, sleep disturbances, euphoria, confusion, yawning, impaired concentration, changes in blood sugar, alopecia, urinary frequency; rarely pulmonary inflammation and fibrosis; very rarely hepatitis, toxic epidermal necrolysis (a severe reaction of the skin) , and neuroleptic malignant syndrome-like even (a life threatening neurological disorder).

Despite that awfully long list, millions of people take SSRIs like Fluoxetine without experiencing any significant or long-term adverse effects. It can be an effective and reasonably safe antidepressant.The maximum daily dose for an adult is 60mg daily, although 20mg would be the initial maximum dose. This can be increased over 3-4 weeks.

If Fluoxetine is taken at higher doses, the chance of adverse reactions multiplies. If Fluoxetine is used at a much higher dose than is prescribed, or if it is taken as a recreational drug, there is also a higher risk of adverse reactions. At the very least a person doing so would feel sick and have an upset stomach, as well as feeling agitated.
    When taken with cannabis many of the adverse effects may increase in a multiplicative rather than additive way. For example stomach upsets, dry mouth, headaches, dizziness, confusion, agitation, and increase in blood pressure would be quite possible and may be amplified by taking this combination.

There may be some euphoria, but that would likely be over-ridden by other adverse effects. Those stories are of probably some self-deluded nitwits bragging; it's more likely that the experience was unpleasant.

Source of information British National Formulary (BNF 62 2011)

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  3. PIPEMACGYVER

PIPEMACGYVER Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Thankyou, thats more what i was looking for

4. Mindless

Mindless Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    Glad to help. Once I accidentally took a double dose of a similar drug, Paroxetine. I was already prescribed the maximum dose. I felt sick, had a terrible headache, and experienced derealization and anxiety. Zero recreational value.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  5. Lethargy

Lethargy Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    One of our close friends once took an entire bottle of prozac. He says he went to the hospital and they said it shouldn't harm him, but had him drink activated charcoal. He only remembers that after a few hours he got incredibly sleepy, fell asleep and felt normal the next day.

6. PIPEMACGYVER

PIPEMACGYVER Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Im curious as to how that happened lol. "Hooray i got a full bottle of prozac!" *trips and falls, pills fly into air and all manage to land in his mouth* *swallows* "....fuck"

7. Crystal_Queen

Crystal_Queen Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Fluoxtine isn't completeley selective though..at none therapeutic doses
    Once SERT is blocked 100% it will go after DAT/NET and block 5-HT2C

Fluoxetine Norfluoxetine

SERT 1 19
    NET 660 2700
    DAT 4180 420
    5-HT2A 200 300
    5-HT2B 5000 5100
    5-HT2C 72.6 91.2
    α1 3000 3900
    M1 870 1200
    M2 2700 4600
    M3 1000 760
    M4 2900 2600
    M5 2700 2200
    H1 3250 10000

I think norfluoxetine should be made into a pharmaceutical like they did with Prystiq,
    to scared to try this myself though...