1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP
    Dismiss Notice

Pharmacology - Endorphins vs. Narcotics

Discussion in 'Opiates & Opioids' started by kittycapucine1974, Jul 21, 2012.

1. kittycapucine1974

kittycapucine1974 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Hi, everybody:

I learned that the human body produces endorphins naturally. Endorphins are supposed to be similar to narcotics (opioids/opiates).

I found out I had RSD in August 2001. My RSD is now generalized (full body). I have Intractable Pain secondary to RSD.

Between August 2001 and September 2002, I stayed without effective pain treatment (my fentanyl patches and my morphine sulfate immediate release capsules) because I could not find any doctor willing to prescribe them for me.

During this lapse of time, while I was not taking any strong narcotics (between August 2001 and September 2002), why did my endorphins not kill any of my RSD pain? Could it be because some people (maybe me?) simply do not produce any endorphins or could it be because man-made narcotics such as morphine and fentanyl are stronger, much stronger than endorphins?

If you have any information, please let me know. I thank you very much for any help you could give me.

2. Mr Gregoire

Mr Gregoire

Reputation Points:
    all i have to say is that if you have been using opiates prior to running out of your script then your body just isnt making endorphins as much as someone who has never used opiates.

3. Kid Cudi

Kid Cudi Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    Many opiates are stronger than endorphins and their effects tend to last longer. Endorphins aren't constantly released, so one has to trigger their release. The following are ways one could release endorphins:

• Exercise
    • Eating spicy food
    • Feeling of excitement or love
    • Orgasm

4. hypernihl

hypernihl Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    I 100% agree with your list. In my experience the only one that produces a significant endorphin experience is exercise. Heavy aerobic exercise can produce an an endorphin high for ~ 45 - 60 mins.

All the others are very short acting.

5. Toleneabuse

Toleneabuse

Reputation Points:
    Does anyone prefer natural endorphins to opiates here?

To answer my own question, I do not know which one I prefer. I've been in combat situations, sports combat, worked out my entire life, have a consistent sex life, love food... etc... but cannot tell if I enjoy opiates more then these things that produce natural endorphins.

I think it's a tie!

6. Kid Cudi

Kid Cudi Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    I, myself, enjoy opiates more than endorphins or enkephalins (endogenous opioids that act upon delta receptors). The main reason why is because the effects from opiates, generally, last longer and are more constant than effects from a natural endorphin/enkephalin rush. I guess some people are able to produce and release more endogenous opioids than others. Unfortunately, I don't think I'm one of those people since I've never felt any significant effects other than after exercising or an orgasm. Even then, the endorphin/enkephalin rush is very short-lived.