Entheogenic use of Myrrh.

Discussion in 'Ethnobotanicals' started by fnord, Jan 31, 2008.

1. fnord

fnord Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    Anyone experience this plant? All info would be appreciated.

Apparently it was the pain killer used before opium and given to Jesus(infused in wine) on the cross to kill pain.

1. 3/5,
      Since when are painkillers entheogenic? :)
      Feb 15, 2008
  2. cosmicruler

cosmicruler Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    36 y/o from burkina_faso
    Modern medicinal usage

Quote"In western pharmacy, Myrrh is used as an antiseptic and is most often used in mouthwashes, gargles and toothpastes for prevention and treatment of gum disease. Myrrh is currently used in some liniments and healing salves that may be applied to abrasions and other minor skin ailments. It is also used in the production of Fernet Branca."

i saw no literature saying that this plant has any painkiller qualitys....?

3. Thirdedge

Thirdedge Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Reports I have read suggest it to be an opiate like pain killer. It is blocked by naloxone. It relaxes the smooth muscles of the intestines, often resulting in constipation. Was used before Opium as a painkiller and has since been forgotten about. Tastes vile.

It is highly recommended would be test pilots start with a very low dose (1 drop of essential oil smoked) and up the dosage very slowly on separate occasions.

1. 3/5,
      Thanks.
      Feb 15, 2008
  4. JaWill88

JaWill88 Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o
    a legal opioid? is it common in the united states? it's actually effective? not like dxm or salvia (I could be wrong but heard those act on the receptors but obviously don't give opioid pain killer effects)? if anyone has answers to this that would be awesome. I will look further into this.

5. cosmicruler

cosmicruler Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    36 y/o from burkina_faso

Do you have a link or can you post some of these reports Thirdedge?
    I am very interested and shall do a little more digging myself...
    cheers.

6. Thirdedge

Thirdedge Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Those reports are posted on other forums so I am unable to link. Perhaps you could try googling things like Myrrh, Opiate, etc?

7. belladonna

belladonna Newbie

Reputation Points:
    32 y/o
    Myrrh (commiphora myrrha) is really good as an antiseptic, chew a bit if you have a sore throat, may be good in cases of intestinal parasites.. but I have never heard of it as an opiate.

It is used as an incense as a prayer to the sun. It's energetically fiery..

hm... there are other types of myrrh eg commiphora mukul, aka bdellium, sweet myrrh,

but i don't know much about this usage of myrrh, outside of antiseptic, I haven't heard of any other properties attributed to it...
    i blend incense, so use them for that... :)

8. constructive interference

constructive interference Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Bump.

How do the subjective effects of the essential oil compare to the raw gum/resin? Does tolerance or habituation seem to be an issue?

Can anyone else share experiences with the essential oil?

9. Shanty

Shanty Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Sorry, turns out I wassnt using Myrrh. See swims post of Frankincense. I dont know how to delete this post, with apologizes to the moderators.

Last edited: May 26, 2011
  10. sweetleaf64

sweetleaf64 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Swim just recieved some myrrh essential oil about 30 minutes ago.
    He attempted to put just a few drops on some herbs (wild dagga, damiana) that were packed in a pipe to test. In the bottle there's a white thing that looks like it would just put out one drop at a time, so he tipped it over on the bowel and about 8 or so drops fell on his herbs really fast. so he left it to soak into the herbs thinking nothing of it. After about 20 minutes he lights the pipe with the center of the herbs still wet (he didn't think it would be an issue). The center stay lit, like a flame which never happens before. It puts out black smoke, but when the pipe is waved around and the flame goes out the smoke goes to a normal grey color. And I am really high off of one hit. The smoke is really sweet.
    At first he thought it was placebo and is still trying to convince himself that there's no way in hell it works with just one hit. He went in again and the center still stays lit and his previous feelings increase telling him that it isn't placebo.

I am wondering if he shouldn't be smoking essential oil? Is it because it isn't dry? That doesn't make much sense since there's no alcohol in it. I would think it would be like smoking olive oil. He has never seen olive oil catch fire like that before. After about four times of lighting it, it still stays lit. but now instead of the center going out it just keeps putting out a grey smoke, I never see this much smoke coming off my herbs without smoking from the pipe. I guess it's because it's an incense.

I feel amazing. This is exactly what he was thinking it would do from trip reports.
    I'll let swim try to explain it.

There's a pressure in the front of my head. I haven't lost any motor function but it's like my brain needs a second to catch up to my hands. Deffinitly shouldn't drive on this. This is deffinitly real and not placebo. I highly recommend it.

If you are intrested in the brand name swim purchased just pm me and I'll let you know.

EDIT:

Just wanted to edit to add that the effects last about 45 minutes or so. I guess it builds a tolerance quickly because after four hours I tried to smoke some again (this time using a dropper to put four drops on some herbs) and while there was a small head change it wasn't at all like it was the first time. But I did smoke some this morning (about 8 drops maybe 10) and it is closer to what it was the first time but not the same. I think I might have put a sh!t ton on the herbs the first time, I'm not really sure how much it was.
    Also the herbs never dry completely. I was assuming that damiana and dagga could soak it up but I guess not. I put a fan on the herbs for a few hours and while it gets them pretty dry it's not like it was before applying the oil. The herbs stay lit after the first few times you light the bowel. And sometimes the smoke can be a little harsh.

Let me just say that this is a very active smokable. I am completely surprised I didn't think it would be this effective. But people that don't smoke often will think it is a very harsh smoke.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
    1. 5/5,
      Grade A experience report! Thank you for exploring a novel substance.
      Feb 23, 2012
    2. 3/5,
      Interesting! We need more experience reports to confirm.
      Feb 22, 2012
    3. 3/5,
      Interesting report. Very, but I'm suspicious of spam here.
      Feb 21, 2012
  11. Morrigan_la_Fey

Morrigan_la_Fey Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Okay wow. The only thing I've ever used myrrh for was in blending incense, making soap and shampoo, and some Wiccan rituals. I knew it was used as an antiseptic but had never heard of it being used in an opiate-like way.

12. Imhotep

Imhotep Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from Australia
    Hi,

I have just joined and this is my first post. Here is some background: I am a 64 years old male and live in Australia.

I am a professional aromatherapist although I no longer practice full-time (just the odd massage for friends).

As far as my clients (past and present) are concerned I have adhered strictly to the professional code of conduct, i.e. I have only ever used essential oils externally, e,g. massage or poultices, or in the form of inhalations of very small quantities.

For myself, however, I felt free to experiment with a variety of oils internally, in cooking, as medicine and for spiritual purposes. Amongst the oils used in this way are tea tree oil, eucalypt, basil, fennel, peppermint, lemon grass, vetiver and a few more. My all-time favorites for spiritual purposes are frankincense and myrrh in about equal proportions.

There are many ways you can get essential oils into the body. I have experimented with all of them and if done properly all of them will work. But some are more effective than others.

a) skin absorption
    b) ingestion
    c) inhalation
    d) suppositories
    e) intranasal

a)The skin presents a barrier which makes transdermal permeation a problem, although some parts of the body are more suited than others. Soles of the feet, for instance are very absorbent.

b) Ingestion can be a problem for sensitive stomachs, plus the digestive tract will deactivate some or all the oil; if it does work it will take time for the effects to develop

c) Inhalation is fast: - in steam inhalation much of the material will be lost and smoking, while fast, cannot be good for the lungs, especially the thick acrid smoke that some oils will produce

d) Suppositories are very effective and very fast but require some work to manufacture yourself

e) Nasal mucosa EASY TO DO, VERY FAST and VERY EFFECTIVE, usually effects kick in after two to three minutes. Whether this method can be used depends on how much the oil will sting. Lemongrass, for instance, will sting like hell.

Method e) is my favorite for frankincense and myrrh. Both are easily tolerated in the nose. The effect comes from a) inhalation and 2) absorption through the mucuous membranes.

The effects are sedative, producing a dreamlike or meditative detachment while not interfering with thinking; at higher doses there is a definite physical "couchlock" effect and it may produce vivid or lucid dreams when taken before going to bed.

OK. Thats enough for now. If anybody is interested in details, such as how much, when, how to administer, etc. I'll be happy to post again.

1. 5/5,
      Wow very interesting first post, psychoactive oils are the new frontier.
      Dec 9, 2012
    2. 5/5,
      great job for a first post, very informative
      Dec 9, 2012
  13. Thirdedge

Thirdedge Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Those having issues with Essential oils igniting when smoking on top of herb, put on some sun glasses and try spotting off a hot light-bulb. Works good for Calamus oil. A crack pipe may also be worth a whirl if you can find one, heat from underneath like a vaporizer. These too methods will allow the oil to smoke without igniting. Remember hot smoke is carcinogenic to the lungs, so cool it. A lightbulb with a funnel hooked up to a water-pipe would be ideal.

14. Imhotep

Imhotep Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from Australia
    To continue my post about myrrh.

I have experimented with a variety of methods to get oils into the system. I did draw the line at smoking and injection! Smoking is highly effective if done properly ! But I do not like inhaling anything other than air. I have only tried this once so my experience with this is limited.

The following methods I have tried over the years. I have listed them in order of their effectiveness (for me - you may react differently):

1) Burning as an incense can, to some very minor degree, work. You would have to burn a lot of material, though, to compensate for the fact that much of it will simply be lost, even if you are in a closed room with no air exchange. More or less the same applies to steam inhalations. That seems like a waste of material to me (myrrh and frankincense aren't exactly cheap!)

2) Transdermal absorption methods work better: e.g. application to the temples, the soles of feet, even, don't laugh!, transscrotal (yes, the skin on that part of the body is very absorbent and can enhance absorption up to 40 times). But the bio-availability varies depending on skin type and, in any case, the skin contains enzymes that may deactivate much if not most of the oil absorbed. And even if it does work it takes time for the effects to develop.

3) Rectal application: suppositories work wonderfully but can be troublesome and time-consuming to manufacture and the dose is not always easy to judge. Timing is also important: if you have a regular rhythm you can use a suppository after elimination; if not you risk eliminating the suppository together with.... My method was to blend EOs with liquid coconut oil or cocoa butter, cool, shape and insert. I no longer bother with this.

Another, altogether much easier, method of rectal application is the use of an eyedropper. The main advantage is that you have total control of the dose! This method I use occasionally.

4) Transnasal is my preferred method. I use an eyedropper to administer the desired amount of oil. Yet another method for intranasal application is to soak a small cotton wad in oil, shape and insert into one nostril.

First: clean out the nose and sinuses with some salt water to remove impurities.

Second: rub some oil on both temples for transdermal absorption

Third: insert frankincense in one and myrrh in the other nostril. Dose depends on exactly what kind of effect you want to achieve. Effects come from inhalation and absorption.

Absorption is rapid; initial effects start almost immediately and the full effects kick in after about two or three minutes. This speed is partly due to the absorption method and partly because the nose is so close to the brain. The oil molecules do not have to travel far. In view of the speed you want to be sure to be somewhere where you can relax; it's definitely not something to take before you get into the car to drive.

My next post will deal with the effects.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  15. juggalotweeker17

juggalotweeker17 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    24 y/o from U.S.A.
    Actually OP it was given to him at birth as a gift from the wise man it was vinegar offered on the cross but he didnt take it

Myrrh is a mouth wash and a topical balm injesting with intended recreational use would be a waste of medicine and possibly dangerous. I would advise strongly against it

16. TestDummy

TestDummy Newbie

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o from U.S.A.
    if anyone is going to ingest balm or mouth wash then let darwinism carry on. Essential oils are definitely the way to go; I think there are definite light, relaxing effects. I just took some in the nose right now :D

17. no agenda

no agenda Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from Australia
    Can anyone update this. I am also interested if this could be a reason why f and m was so highly valued over the centuries. And what dosage of oil in the nose? One drop 100% oil? Really interested because I once injested drops before going to sleep!

18. Imhotep

Imhotep Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from Australia
    Hi,

Back after a very long time. If there is still interest in updating my previous posts, especially on the effects of internal use of myrrh and/or frankincense let me know.

As a professional aromatherapist I have been using a variety of essential oils for a long time and I owe much if not most of my mental and physical well-being to their use.

Cheers

19. Papa T

Papa T Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Imhotep, Please share your knowledge and experience . Your posts have been thoroughly appreciated. Thank You.

20. best

best Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    The essential oil stayed lit like that because you used too much essential oil at once, one drop (25mg) per 1 gram of your herb works for me with other essential oils.