Ephedrine false positive ?

Discussion in 'Drug Testing' started by WhiteRyan, Nov 27, 2004.

1. WhiteRyan

WhiteRyan Newbie

Reputation Points:
    About an hour ago I took about 150 mgs of ephedrine for the first time, cuz I had a wild night got no sleep and have work if this rain lets up.

I just remembered I have a initial drug test in 4 days. Is this gonna show up on my test saying I do meth or something? What do you think? And I did do ice like a month ago b4 I called it quits so it would suck to get a hair test. hmmm hmmm ? opinions

2. davidd

davidd Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Yes, Ephederine can cause a false positive for amphetamines... This is from www.erowid.org in their testing area:
    <DIV =title>Amphetamine and Drug Tests</DIV>
    <DIV =author>by Erowid</DIV>
    <HR>

<CENTER>
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 border=1>
    <T>
    <TR height=23>
    <TD =chart1 width=205>Tested for in Standard Drug Tests?</TD>
    <TH =chart2 width=90>YES</TH></TR>
    <TR>
    <TD =chart1>Detection Period in Urine</TD>
    <TH =chart2>1-4 days</TH></TR></T></TABLE>

</CENTER>
    <DIV =section_title>Urine Testing</DIV>
    <DIV =section_text>Amphetamines are one of the "NIDA 5". The five drugs tested for in the standard NIDA approved drug test. Amphetamines are standardly detectable in urine for 1-3 days after use. Methamphetamines stay in the system slightly longer, 3-5 days.

The Amphetamine test is a one step competitive immunoassay that is used to screen for the presence of amphetamine in urine. It is a chromatographic absorbent device in which drug or drug metabolites in a sample compete with drug conjugate immobilized on a porous membrane for a limited number of binding sites. This test is a rapid, qualitative immunoassay for the detection of amphetamine in urine. The cutoff concentration for this test is 1000 ng/ml, as recommended by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration and NIDA." The cutoff for GC-MS, which detects d-amphetamine and methamphetamine, is 500 ng/ml.

</DIV>
    <DIV =section_title>Hair Testing</DIV>
    <DIV =section_text>Amphetamine is detectable with hair tests and is included in the standard set of substances tested for with these tests. Hair tests generally take the most recent 1.5 inches of growth and use those for testing. That provides a detection period of approximately 90 days. If an individual's hair is shorter than 1.5 inches, this detection period will be shorter.

</DIV>
    <DIV =section_title>Saliva Testing</DIV>
    <DIV =section_text>In the past few years, new technologies have been developed which allow for saliva testing for the presence of Methamphetamine and its derivatives. We do not currently have information about what the detection period is for these tests.

</DIV>
    <DIV =section_title>Substances or Conditions which can cause false positives</DIV>
    <DIV =section_text>In Urine Tests
    Ephedrine, pseudoephedrine, propylephedrine, phenylephrine, or desoxyephedrine
    (Nyquil, Contact, Sudafed, Allerest, Tavist-D, Dimetapp, etc)
    Phenegan-D, Robitussin Cold and Flu, Vicks Nyquil
    Over-the-counter diet aids with phenylpropanolamine (Dexatrim, Accutrim)
    Over-the-counter nasal sprays (Vicks inhaler, Afrin)
    Asthma medications (Marax, Bronkaid tablets, Primatine Tablets)
    Prescription medications (Adderall, Amfepramone, Cathne, Etafediabe, Morazone,
    ...phendimetrazine, phenmetrazine, benzphetamine, fenfluramine, dexfenfluramine,
    ...dexdenfluramine,Redux, mephentermine, Mesocarb, methoxyphenamine, phentermine,
    ... amineptine, Pholedrine, hydroymethamphetamine, Dexedrine, amifepramone, clobenzorex,
    ...fenproyorex, mefenorex, fenelylline, Didrex, dextroamphetamine, methphenidate, Ritalin,
    ...pemoline, Cylert, selegiline, Deprenyl, Eldepryl, Famprofazone)
    Kidney infection, kidney disease
    Liver disease, diabetes

</DIV>
    <DIV =section_title>Additional Information</DIV>
    <DIV =section_text>Drug Testing Vault [​IMG]
    </DIV>

3. davidd

davidd Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I just noticed that you said it was 4 days ago...It sould be out of your system by then.

4. wingsofazrael

wingsofazrael Newbie

Reputation Points:
    if you took 150mg of ephedrine you probably wont be alive to take your drug test. i have a strong stimulant tolerance and the highest i can go is 75-100mg at one time and it feels like im gonna die. but if youre alive, i hope you passed your drug test.

5. WhiteRyan

WhiteRyan Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I was clear

6. diggitydawg

diggitydawg Newbie

Reputation Points:
    ephedrine can cause false positives....however, chemicals are addedduringthe extraction process to eliminate the ephedrinefrom the samples.To back this up thereare interference controls in place to determine whether the correct chemicals were used in the extraction process(when confirmed with GC/MS)

7. Darthcarlos

Darthcarlos Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    33 y/o
    Ephidrine caused a false for me showed up as amphetamine

8. raavenhawk

raavenhawk Newbie

Reputation Points:
    46 y/o from U.S.A.
    YES!!! ephidrine has and could show up for meth.

9. diggitydawg

diggitydawg Newbie

Reputation Points:
    at least in the US, i know controls are in place to avoid
    this.......but what i guess it all comes down to is the operator of the
    GCMS's and whether or not they know how to tell the difference between
    the peaks with or without the interference. As far as i know
    though, it is standard operating procedure to eliminate the ephedrine
    using something such as sodium periodate.

10. butter

butter Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    He prolly took something that was standordized for ephedrine to be that high of a dose. Ma Huang is used in many of those fat burner pills that only have like 8 % ephedrine in them. Remember Epehedrine will catch up on you and fuck you up at the least time suspected. Little doses if any.

11. weedman22

weedman22 Mercury Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    They prolly meant pseudo ephedrine cuz it ask six times as much for the same thing, which means it would be like 25mg of actual ephedrine, which isn't even enough to get a real high but enough to make you feel like you had a good sleep.