Epinephrine and its Potential for Abuse?

Discussion in 'Various drugs not covered by other forums' started by DrMuffy, Jan 2, 2007.

1. DrMuffy

DrMuffy Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    SWIdr is not sure which topic forum to enter this is as many drugs produce the naturally occurring adrenal when used, so excuse him if this is the wrong place to post this. This thread is about Injectable Epinephrine (Synthetic adrenalin), which sounds like it could produce rushes and stimulatory effects similar to amphetamines, so that is why he chose to post his question here. Well here is SWIdr’s story, hopefully it wont is too long and or boring, so here are the events, which lead up to his new access to Epinephrine:

SWIdr recently smashed his finger in a door very badly:( and had to go to a walk-in clinic and get a hole poked through his fingernail to relieve the pressure and release the bottled up blood. The doctor who preformed the short (yet painful) procedure also wanted SWIdr to get his finger X-Rayed to see if it was broken (which it wasn't) and when the doc left to go get the X-Ray room ready SWIdr couldn’t help but look through the cabinets and drawers :D . He stumbled onto the usually lidocaine injections, but also found a bottle of roughly 30 uses of epinephrine (synthetic adrenalin) and some other valueable drugs (besdes the point :D ), which he then pocketed in a discreet moderate manner.

SWIdr has read up on this, UTFSE and is still in the gray area of its potential for abuse :confused: . SWIdr knows it is used for asthma attacks and allergic reactions, but synthetic adrenalin sounds like it should be abuse able haha. SWIdr has all the equipment needed to inject the Epinephrine IM and or IV (which the bottle says it can be used for both). If anyone has any experience and or info on this drug's potential for abuse, please post you's info, and it would be greatly appreciated!!!

2. Abrad

Abrad R.I.P. Platinum Member & Advisor R.I.P.

Reputation Points:
    Epinephrine is completely non-recreational and could be harmful if abused. I also hope you realise that by stealing it you could put lives in danger. SWIM suffers from a nut allergy and could be dead right now if somebody had stolen epinephrine from his doctors surgery.
    Better hope nobody needs it before it is replaced...

Last edited: Jan 2, 2007
  3. sciencedj

sciencedj Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    I had to give himself a shot of adrenaline when going into anaphylaxis shock (allergic reaction). It was the most UNPLEASANT feeling SWIM ever had in SWIM's life.

My heart rate raced out of control approaching 180-190 bpm. I had bad sweating, flushing, and an ill feeling of "Impending Doom".

The adrenalin (epinephrine) saved my life, but the feeling it brought was terrible. Thank god the ER gave SWIM IV ativan after the allergic reaction emergency was over.

I do NOT recommend this drug for recreational uses.

4. Paracelsus

Paracelsus Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Epinephrine is a vasoconstrictor, and does produce some stimulant effects, but it doesn't cross the BBB.

Riconoen's I recently reported eating an epinephrine inhaler (the contents, obviously). Search for his thread. He doesn't recommend it either.

This belongs into the Various Drugs Forum. Epinephrine is a phenethylamine, a catecholamine, but not an amphetamine (is doesn't have a methyl on the alpha position of the PEA structure - look it up on Wikipedia).

5. DrMuffy

DrMuffy Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    SWIabrad- Yes SWIdr wouldnt have solen it, except it looked like they just got a shipment in because there were bottles ane un-opened boxed of the same stuff laying around. If there weren't SWIdr would have a BIG guilt trip as soon as he took it.

SWIsciencedj and SWIparacelsus- Thanks for the advice and warnings about epinephrine. SWIdr was considering an IM injection of a .5-1.5 mgs of this stuff, but has changed his mind now. Info from the experienced is of much value to SWIdr, and he really appreciates all the info yous have told SWIdr! Although this stuff may come in handy if one or SWIdr's friends go into shock or ODs on herion or something. Thank you again!

Last edited: Jan 3, 2007