Estimated cannabis users in the U.K.

Discussion in 'Cannabis' started by Sky Walker, Apr 18, 2007.

1. Sky Walker

Sky Walker Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Does anyone have any information about the number of cannabis users in the U.K? I have read that is is between 3-6 million regular users and up to 8 or 9 million people have at least tried it, where do these figures come from? Does anyone have any accurate information?

Cheers.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  2. MrJim

MrJim Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    I think figures like that are extrapolations based on random questionairre distribution. It would truly be hard to get exact numbers, but there are ways you can be more confident in the numbers someone provides.
    You would have to do the following:
    How was the number determined - were 10 people polled - 100 - 1000 - more? Generally the more people polled the closer to the truth one can get.
    How were the questions posed? Were they leading? Were the questions sent out to people through random selection, ie, just pulling names from a phonebook? If so that helps randomization, but hinders in the fact that then there will be an effect of "self-selection". Maybe people who don't smoke are more adament than those who do. Therefore the numbers would appear lower. Maybe vice versa.
    Who was the experimenter? Would there be a possible experimenter bias?
    Bring some numbers and where they came from to this thread and we can analyze them and see if we can find a relatively stable answer.

3. D.U.M.B

D.U.M.B Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    I would say the figures of people who smoke it regulary and who have tried marijuana is higher than the figures Sky Walker listed.

We will never know exact figures because not everyone will admit it or vote etc

4. Sky Walker

Sky Walker Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    I agree and believes that the figures could easily be 10.1 million regular users, 1 in 6 sounds about right, could be more though.

5. MrJim

MrJim Gold Member

Reputation Points: