1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP
    Dismiss Notice

Extraction - Ethanol Extraction Of Poppy Pods.

Discussion in 'Opium & Poppy' started by fnord, Aug 30, 2008.

1. fnord

fnord

Reputation Points:
    I understand that opiates are fully soluble in h20 but im wondering if a extract could be done with ethanol to speed up evap time,and then after a generic extract has been done water could have its PH adjusted to be used to further clean up the product.

The only thing im wondering is if ALL the active opiods will be soluble in ethanol.

2. ncsponger

ncsponger Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Yes, opiate alkaloids are soluble in ethanol. It is also likely that ethanol will pull a lot of unwanted gunk from the seeds leaving a very resiny end product. After the alcohol extraction one could perform an acid/base extraction on the alcoholic extraction to yeild a salt form of the alkaloids. But then one would still have to evaporate a large amount of water to recover the alkaloids, unless one elected to gas the non-polar pull while the alkaloid is in the freebase form. However, gassing with Hydrogen chloride gas is only recommended for very pure anhydrous solutions usually containing only one active compound. Either way, a huge amount of poppy seed would be required to make the process worthwhile.

EDIT: sorry, swim thought the thread title said extraction from seeds.

ncsponger added 9 Minutes and 36 Seconds later...

Ok, let's try again. SWIM has also been interested in extracting pods without having to evaporate all that water. As SWIM stated above, it seems that a swimmer would still eventually have to evaporate a large amount of water if he wanted to obtain a relatively pure, stable salt form of the active alkaloids. If SWIF is satisfied with an impure residue of alkaloids and vegetative material, than the simple ethanol extraction would work.

After extracting the pods, one could warm the ethanol and filter it through a couple of coffee filters to remove some of the plant material, tannins, etc. possibly yielding a more pure product.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2008
  3. Mammon

Mammon Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    While browsing old threads in the opiate chemistry forum I came across one which claimed that using ethanol extracts more of the alkaloids.

Does anyone know if this is correct?

If so why?

How much more would be extracted?

My interest is, of course, purely theoretical.

4. fnord

fnord

Reputation Points:
    Grandma did a basified ethanol extract followed by a water extract that was then cleaned up with a slightly acidic water extract.

Results from 30 home grown well cared for P. somni pods was minimal when split oraly between 3 people.

5. Mammon

Mammon Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Has grandma done a tea (using water) to get an idea of the "normal" strength?

Could grandma give more details about the extraction (steeping time, ph levels, base and acid used, etc)? Sorry, this stuff really interests this weird guy I know.

6. fnord

fnord

Reputation Points:

Ph values are unknown,ph testing equipment was availible but not used. they were gussetameted at being higher/lower then the required ones thus leaving much more then just the morphine as mentioend in the patent. Grandma was hopeing for a clean tasty smokeable ethanol/water extract with little impuritys. soaking times were only 6 hours due to the end product being required for the nights opium margeritta party. :) The extract was smoakble but lacked a tasty flavor and desired effect. The remaining straw was saved and is being throw in once the rest of the poppys have dried and grandma is ready for hte next extract. Soaking times shall be much longer next time and more care will be used to record the experiment.

7. Mammon

Mammon Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    One of the old posts in the opiate chemistry section said to leave the straw in ethanol for 6 weeks! That guy Bogumil, I think.

Does Grandma live somewhere where she can get 96% ethanol OTC? If so, tell her she's a very lucky old girl.

8. fnord

fnord

Reputation Points:
    6 weeks? Pfft! cant be that long,most things only call for 24-48.

Yes a gallon of denatured ethanol can be bought at the hardware store for very little of our worthless american money.

9. Mammon

Mammon Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Denatured ethanol - someone on here once told me that if some nutter was going to use that in an extraction, that nutter would be poisoned. Is this incorrect? What alcohols are safe in an extraction?

U.K. denatured alcohol is this delightful coctail:

"with every 90 parts by volume of alcohol mix 9.5 parts by volume of wood naphtha or a substitute for wood naphtha and 0.5 parts by volume of crude pyridine, and to the resulting mixture add mineral naphtha (petroleum oil) in the proportion of 3.75 litres to every 1000 litres of the mixture and synthetic organic dyestuff (methyl violet) in the proportion of 1.5 grams to every 1000 litres of the mixture."

Again the weird guy I know is on my case. He says he wants to know if using this as a solvent in a poppy straw extraction would poison him.

Any ideas?

10. fnord

fnord

Reputation Points:
    I believe all of these evaporate off at low temps.