Opinions - Ever had a mystical experience from alcohol?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by El Calico Loco, Oct 3, 2006.

1. El Calico Loco

El Calico Loco Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I remember reading a trip report on Erowid some time ago; the author had a strange out-of-body experience after drinking half a bottle of hard alcohol in the space of an hour or so. He went past stars and galaxies and the whole universe before finding himself back in his comfy chair.

I had never heard of something like this. Have any of your my ever tripped from ethanol (alone)? I know my test subject hasn't.

ECL

2. Bajeda

Bajeda Super Moderator Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Alcohol does alter your way of thinking, so it could be possible depending on your state of mind before ingestion. I find that alcohol generally only creates valuable experiences in the form of "I'm never fucking doing that again!!" though.

3. chilliker

chilliker Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    SWIM's been drinking for years... Never actually had a "mystical" experience... Its more that he does something he would do sober, or that his just really happy...

4. Paracelsus

Paracelsus Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I havent had a "mystical" experience with ethanol either. And he has used quite large amounts sometimes (700ml 45% Vodka was usual).

I wouldnt expect anything mystical from alcohol. Its an anormal drug, from the same category like chloroform, ether and solvents.

And I myself couldnt imagine a jungle culture which glorifies an alcohol-related god with sacred alcoholi rituals..:D . alcohol was used recreationally since the beginning of mankind, but only because its effects are pleasant in moderate amounts and it was and is easy to make....

EDIT: I forgot to mention that alcohol interacts with other drugs (https://drugs-forum.com/threads/3506) and potentiates others (DXM).
    That could be the "mystical" use of alcohol :D

5. El Calico Loco

El Calico Loco Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I have been afraid to mix alcohol with DXM after reading that part of the DXM FAQ that described one test subject vomiting for over two hours from that combination. Bleh! He does have a small amount of ethanol, though, because that's what his DXM is dissolved in. Works far better than distilled water.

He has tried the combination of alcohol + cannabis + nitrous, but didn't enjoy it as much as the individual in the other thread. The nitrous flanging went on for hours - to the point where it was actually annoying.

I suspect the person who wrote the aforementioned Erowid report was just in the right state of mind for an OBE or something. I've never heard of an aboriginal culture worshipping the spirits of ethanol, either.

Unless you count my proud Irish ancestors. *smirk*

ECL

6. Beeker

Beeker Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    I consider the 'Spins' to be a rather bizzare sensation. Very anti-physics.

7. Paracelsus

Paracelsus Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    that is probably a side-effect...very much users report nausea from dxm...swim never had some though. It could be the inactives in the syrup if it was Robotussin and not pure DXM. Alcohol works quite well for SWIM to potentiate DXM.