1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP

Everything you need to know about Drug Testing

Discussion in 'Drug testing discussion' started by Jasim, May 10, 2010.

1. slay13

slay13 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Re: Drug Testing - A Comprehensive Guide

Hypothetically speaking, if a friend did hydromorphone (dilaudid) twelve days ago and just got a "5-panel" drug patch stuck on today, will she fail? She's read that drug patches can detect substances anywhere from 3 day to 2 months. The five panel test covers opiates, including 6 MAM, codeine, and morphine but she has read that hydromorphone doesn't break down into morphine. So I guess my questions are: Is twelve days enough time? Will hydromorphone show up on the 5-panel? Is there any plausible way to beat this?
    Thanks in advance, my friend is scared out of her mind.

2. Lazr

Lazr Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    26 y/o from U.S.A.

What about screens at say, an IOP program, I takes weekly drug tests at one of these and is prescribed klonipin. I doubt that they would do a confirmation test every single week if they are coming back positive due to a prescription.

3. joeshadow

joeshadow Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

I am not sure where to put this, but I found this study on Etizolam and accumulation. Obviously, we still do not have a definitive answer on if it shows up or not.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2065698

That last sentence is obviously the most important.

4. Bozo

Bozo Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

I know some of this has been covered acouple years ago, but any more evidence Mephedrone or MDPV has tested positive for amphetamines lately ??:rolleyes:

5. stryder09

stryder09 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

On a screening test, possibly.

On a confirmation test by mass spectrometry, absolutely not possible.

6. Bozo

Bozo Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

If a confirmation screen is triggered by a false positive for amphetamine, wont the confirmation screen identify Mephedone or MDPV as the culprit ?

7. stryder09

stryder09 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

Not necessarily. It all depends on what the lab is actually monitoring in the assay.

Most labs do not monitor for mephedrone or MDPV or any of the other substituted cathinones, unless specifically requested to do so.

Typical or more routine amphetamines assays include Amphetamine, Methamphetamine, MDMA, MDA, Ephedrine, and/or Pseudoephedrine in the scope of analysis.

8. twireyfirey

twireyfirey Newbie

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o from U.S.A.

I recently submitted a specimen for a hair follicle drug screen and the results were 5500, roughly. Within timeframe I was in a coma and was given about 35 meds while i was admitted in ICU could one of them have effected this result? like Norepinephrine, nitroprusside or any other medically given drugs as breathing treatments? I went into heart failure for a non drug related medical condition as well as having severe pneumonia. Nor have I done drugs in ages. whats the result about? and with my having Congenital heart failure and barely being able to tolerate caffinee, i would be dead with them levels.

9. stryder09

stryder09 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

What specific drug did you test positive for?

What specific drugs were you given under medical care?

10. twireyfirey

twireyfirey Newbie

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o from U.S.A.

Positive for Amphetamines

Nitropusside
    Ismolol
    Diuril
    Midazolan
    Levophed
    Norephinephrine
    Ephedrine
    oxytocin propofol
    sodium theosulfate belladonna opium
    acetaminaphen
    vancomyacin
    sodium bicarb
    potassium chloride
    phytradione
    Misopretol
    Metromidazel
    Dextrose
    Magnesium sulfate
    lasix
    fentanyle
    etomidate
    ciproflaxin
    bumetamide
    albumin

and supplements either I or my husband have had as he is tested too.
    Supplements
    Metaform
    Ripped Fuel
    Extenze
    5 hour energy
    yellow jacket energy boosters
    Excedrin
    Acutrim
    Dristan
    Mucinex
    Cold And Flu (Vicks)
    asprin

11. stryder09

stryder09 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

Well, ephedrine would most certainly cause an amphetamine positive on a screening test such as an instant cup, dipstick or even a lab immunoassay. When it went to confirmation by mass spectrometry, it would not give a positive result for amphetamine. If ephedrine was included in the confirmation panel, it would be reported as ephedrine positive.

12. CaptainTripps

CaptainTripps Law & Policy sections Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from Washington, U.S.A.

From what I have read the drug levels in urine tests are affected by numerous factors and vary somewhat from person to person. That is say that if two males of the same weight and age are taking the same dosage they might actually test somewhat differently. Also the time of day and the amount of fluid intake can also affect the results. I was wondering just how much of a variance there might be with something like say oxycodone? 5%, 10% 50%?

The context of my question is this. If someone was taking more than their prescribed dose and had not yet had their first therapeutic drug test, would it make sense to have a "little extra" in their system in order to set a higher "baseline" for comparison with future tests. If so, just how much "extra" would be "OK'?

Or are the differences between individuals so small that the goal should be to be as absolutely as close to the proper dose as possible. If so, about how much time would it take if someone stopped all extra amounts to get levels at the proper amount? I assume that this would be somewhat quicker than trying to get a "negative" result on the test, given the way half lifes work. If something has a detection time of 5 days the vast majority would be gone in the first 2 days. Would it be wise to go a step further and take even less than the prescribed amount? For sake of this example lets suppose 48 hours advance notice.

Also I have heard that the bio availability of oxycodone is much lower if smoked than taken orally. Does that mean that it would also show lower levels in the urine? If so, anyone know approximately how much lower?

13. Changes

Changes Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.

Hello Forum, thanks for putting together such an insightful topic as this one. I have a question which I don't believe has been answered yet in this thread, or perhaps I don't know enough to recognise the answer.

Will the 5 or 10 panel drug tests detect the use of any hormone replacement therapy i.e. HRT drugs including

Oestradiol (Oral oestradiol as hemihydrate) taken sublingually or as transdermal patches
    Cyprotone Acetate
    Finasteride
    Spironolactone
    Progesterone cream

My understanding is that some of those are steroid related so I thought they might show up because of that or perhaps the metabolites would be detected?

I presume that these drugs would show up on one of the more involved lab tests ?

The ingredient list for the progesterone is a bit long (sorry!), Deionized Water, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Glycerin, Aloe Barbadensis, Leaf Juice, Progesterone, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol, Sorbic Acid, Cetyl Alcohol, Glyceryl Stearate, Isopropyl Myristate, Stearic Acid, Sodium, Hyaluronate, Sodium PCA, Methyl Glucose Sesquistearate, Aminomethyl Propanol, Carbomer, Tocopheryl Acetate, Grapefruit Seed Extract, PEG-20 Methyl Glucose Sesquistearate, Xanthan Gum.

14. Diverboone

Diverboone Titanium Member Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

Dimethylamylamine: A Drug Causing Positive Immunoassay Results for Amphetamines*

Shawn P. Vorce†,
    Justin M. Holler,
    Brian M. Cawrse and
    Joseph Magluilo Jr.

+ Author Affiliations

Division of Forensic Toxicology, Armed Forces Medical Examiner System, Armed Forces Institute of Pathology, 1413 Research Boulevard, Building 102, Rockville, Maryland 20850

↵† Author to whom correspondence should be addressed. Email: shawn.vorce@us.army.mil.

Received September 13, 2010.
    Revision received October 4, 2010.

Abstract

The Department of Defense (DoD) operates six forensic urine drug-testing laboratories that screen close to 5 million urine samples for amphetamines yearly. Recently, the DoD laboratories have observed a significant decrease in the confirmation rates for amphetamines because of specimens screening positive by two separate immunoassays and confirming negative by gas chromatography-mass spectrometry (GC-MS). Previous studies conducted by the Division of Forensic Toxicology, Armed Force Institute of Pathology (AFIP) utilizing a GC-MS basic drug screen and a designer drug screen revealed no common compound or compound classes as to the cause of the immunoassay-positive results. Additional information obtained from an immunoassay vendor suggested the anorectic compound dimethylamylamine (DMAA) may be the cause of the false-positive screens. An additional 134 false-positive samples were received and analyzed using liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry (LC-MS-MS) for DMAA. LC-MS-MS analysis revealed the presence of DMAA in 92.3% of the false-positive samples at a concentration of approximately 6.0 mg/L DMAA, causing a positive screen on both immunoassay kits.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2017
  15. Diverboone

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

This is interesting info.

Attached Files:

16. Diverboone

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

One last bit of info;

Attached Files:

17. woop

woop Mercury Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.

does anybody know if methiopropamine or Ethylphenidate are tested for in the uk, or if they could show up as something else?

18. topher403

topher403 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

Methiopropamine might cause a false-positive for methamphetamine. Ethylphenidate may test positive for Methylphenidate (if that's even on the test). As time goes on new tests will become widely available to specifically detect research chemicals (lab tests are already available).

In regards to the very first post of this thread...
    Spot on Jasim!

In regards to Military/DoD Testing it would be good to rehash, as well as add some new input to this topic since this thread started in 2010. It's now 2013.

As of November 2012, the military has expanded it's drug testing program to include many prescription drugs including the benzodiazepine class and synthetic cannabinoids. Eventually all prescription drugs will be testable, or so they say. Also, in the spring of 2013 the Army started testing for "bath salts" (a few soldiers died from taking DMAA) and more extensively for synthetic cannabinoids (altogether about 20-30 chemicals), but only testing for them in certain cases; the point being that military labs have the ability to detect these new, designer chemicals.

The new list of detectable substances is broad yet very specific. And the testing process is random in and of itself. Usually there's a permanent set of substances that are tested for and then there's an extended list of substances that may or may not be tested for. Of this extended list, any can be added to the permanent substances tested for. Which ever lab that receives the samples determines what extended substances are tested for and which aren't. Ultimately, its at the discretion of the lab. They can test for everything if they want to.

Side note: At the lab the samples undergo an initial immunoassay screening using the Olympus AU-800 Automated Chemistry Analyzer or Radio Immunoassay. If a sample tests positive, it is sent through the immunoassay screening again. If it comes back positive a second time THEN it is put through a GC/MS test to determine results.

BUT as long as a service member has a legitimate, valid prescription for their medications, he/she has nothing to worry about.

This is the list of substances tested for:

Amphetamines
    Barbiturates
    Benzodiazepines (alprazolam, diazepam, lorazepam, temazepam, and 31 others)
    Buprenorphine
    Cocaine
    Marijuana/THC
    Methadone
    Methamphetamine
    MDMA, MDA, MDEA
    Opiates (codeine, morphine, heroin)
    Oxycodone
    Oxymorphone
    PCP
    Hydrocodone
    Hydromorphone
    LSD
    Steroids (rarely)
    Research chemicals/"Bath Salts" (mephedrone, methylone, MDPV, ethylone; practically all cathinone, pyrovalerone, and pipradrol derivatives, as well as others)
    Synthetic Cannabinoids (AM-2201, HU-210, JWH-series, CP 47, 497, etc.)

Possibly?: TCAs, carisoprodol, cyclobenzaprine, tramadol, dihydrocodeine, meperidine, methylphenidate, ketamine, GHB, etc. etc.

Detection periods are:
    Most opiates/opioids: 1-4 days
    Cocaine: 2-4 days
    Amphetamines: 2-3 days
    Methamphetamine: 2-4 days
    Barbiturates: 1-2 days (single use)
    Benzodiazepines: Single dose = 3-10 days; Chronic = 4-6 weeks (Overall: 1-42 days)
    Methadone: 1-10 days
    Bupenorphine: 2-4 days
    MDMA/MDA/MDEA: 1-5 days
    PCP: 3-7 days
    Heroin: 1-2 days
    Meperidine: 24 hrs
    LSD: 1-2 days
    Bath Salts: est. 3-5 days ?
    Synthetic Cannabinoids: est. 1-10 days depending on frequency of use ?
    Dihydrocodeine: 3-4 days
    Methylphenidate: 1-2 days
    Tramadol: 2-4 days
    Carisoprodol: 2-7 days
    Cyclobenzaprine: 3-10 days
    Ketamine: 2-4 days
    GHB: 12-24hrs.

Remember, detection times vary and depend on many factors (metabolic rate, height, body mass, diet, amount of exercise, fluid intake, etc.). These times are simply a guide to help you guesstimate.

19. trdofbeingtrd

trdofbeingtrd Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

I am just wondering if oral mouth swab tests for marijuana have changed in the detection times. I read through the thread and cannot find that it has changed from 24 hours being the maximum time marijuana can be detected.

Thank you.

20. juicyy

juicyy Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

Why does this table (table 4, criminal testing) have an empty value under urine for cocaine? Then the Confirmation (GC/MS) field has a 20 ng/mL value? Do probation tests use 20 ng/mL? Or is the gc/ms only done after testing positive for 300-150 ng/mL as illustrated in the prior tables???

Thanks!

Analytes Urine Screen Blood Screen Confirmation (GC/MS) Limit of Quantitation
    Sympathomimetic Amines 500-1000 ng/mL 100 ng/mL 50 ng/mL
    Barbiturates 200 ng/mL 50 ng/mL 100 ng/mL
    Benzodiazepines 200 ng/mL 20 ng/mL 10-100 ng/mL
    Buprenorphine 2 ng/mL
    Cannabinoids 2.5-5 ng/mL
    Carisoprodol 2000 ng/mL
    Cocaine 20 ng/mL

Read more: https://drugs-forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=128474#ixzz2qEhNn5Ak