Exercize, then get high

Discussion in 'Pharmacology' started by dip, Jan 13, 2007.

1. dip

dip Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Would anyone think that running a mile or so, (rest, rehydrate), then smoke MJ would increase or alter the effects at all?

In the long run, exercize helps brain function. But does anyone in the short run, exercizing then smoking a joint right after makes any difference?

Exersize will:
    -release BDNF, which helps support and strengthen synapses in the brain
    -release other chemicals ... one being endorphin, chemically related and effects related to opiates.

...production of anti-depressant-like effects, stress reduction, feeling of happiness; "runner's high" ... Exercize itself will alter one's concious, so my idea sounds reasonable.

SWIM ... THINKS it creates a different high; it seems more euphoric, which would make sense. But mabey I am just imagining things.

2. Benzeneringz

Benzeneringz Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I am beginning a series of experiments tomorrow, this is an excellent question.

3. Lehendakari

Lehendakari Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from spain
    Works great for SWIM. Smoking MJ after playing tennis or football has always been very pleasant. I would recommend doing this steps_

1.- Exercise. I recommend doing something you really like, He doesn't find any joy in running a mile or working out, so he plays squash, tennis, football etc. If you enjoy running do it. Doing a fun sport will benefit the high.

2.- Rest, rehydrate well and get a shower.

3.- Eat something. Best would be something easy to digest.

4. Get high

SWIM also finds it enhances the night when going out, you get plenty more energy through the night and better mood.

If You plans are stay at home and rest after exercise, a good marijuana joint will be a bless.

4. sterling77

sterling77 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    from denmark
    This is a semi-regular activity for swim, and a very interesting subject. Especially since some people think that it is now thought that cannabinoids are more responsible for a runner's high instead of opiate-like compounds. I'd also bet you that improved blood circulation to the brain would make it better.

5. slamball89

slamball89 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from brazil
    I have soccer (damn Americans :)) every day during the week and as one can imagine, it is quite a workout. I like to smoke a few bowls after soccer, just as a nice way to relax. I have not come to the conclusion that his highs are generally better after excersize, but he hasn't looked into the matter much either. At least for SWIM, if excerisize does increase or produce a different high, it is very small. Maybe since I am aware of it now, he may notice something, be it placebo or not. Am I safe to assume that if one is used to heavy workouts and does them constantly that it would have less of an effect as opposed to someone who exercizes more rarely (again assuming that exercize does increase one's high)?

6. enquirewithin

enquirewithin Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from bermuda
    I used to like long-distance running and always had a smoke afterwards. There is no doubt that he got higher than usual after a long run, and enjoyed it greatly. A lot of althletes seem to like smoking, and it's not to enhance performance!

7. Benzeneringz

Benzeneringz Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    This experiment was conducted indoors, on a tredmill. Both trials were conducted 1.5 hours after a light meal.

On day 1, SWIM ran a distance of 1.0 miles and watched TV afterwards to cool off, no smoking. SWIM slept heavily that night with a lot of REM sleep, more than normal. The next day, I did not feel any muscle discomfort but he did notice the boost of energy a light run the previous day will give you. There were no surges of endorphin noted; in other words, "runners high" was absent although I have indeed experienced such a high during and after rigorous indoor rock climbing sessions.

On day 2, SWIM repeated the process only he smoked 1 marijuana cigarette 3-5 minutes after stepping off the tredmill. He proceded to watch TV and go to bed at the same time as the previous day.

CONCLUSION: Marijuana definatly substituted for the "runners high" I has felt after rigorous exercise. It facilitated the plesant muscle-feel afterglow of the light run. Sleep latency was reduced although a reduction in REM sleep was noted. The following day, energy level was superior to that of the previous day. A joint after exercise positivly reinforced the exercising activity. It also led to a serene feel akin to that of rigorous exercise only lasting 12+ hours. Hope this sheds some light.

8. psyche

psyche Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o from finland
    SWIM actually was wondering the same thing about two hours ago when he was just returned from playing volleyball and got high. It reminded him of reading that cannabinoids also activates (altough much more mildly) opioid system and, more importantly, have synergestic effect with opioids. It has been shown in studies to be true for certain sorts of pain measurments and I think that it would be true also for behavioral effects. I think that for SWIM part of the afterglow from volleyball is partly because of the social context of sports and rewarding attached to a succesfull action. I have learned to appreciate sports much more since he started his hobby of exploring different substances and learned to listen and interpret the signals of his body.

9. psyche

psyche Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o from finland
    Sorry for the bump, but I got an idea that parallels this on to such a degree that I won't be making new thread for it. I have been thinking on another thread if Kava would be the panacea for the anxiety of coming up of psychedelics(and contentment for the later part if redosed): https://drugs-forum.com/threads/30490

Now after playing for hours of volleyball I got very high with only a tiniest piece of bud. As usual, the high was much more spectacular, happy and psychedelic.(could have something to do with your body running overly fast and resisting the sedative effect of weed) It occured to him that, at least for him, some exersize would be crucial before he does shrooms etc. It would help remarkably for his mild depression and especially on the side-effects of shrooms. His stomach is also pretty easily irritated. The endorphins supposed to make sure little discomfort would feel like euphoria, and the palpitations would also be absent. SWIM's gonna do this sometime and write his first trip report about it.

10. psyche

psyche Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o from finland
    I blame it on my internet connection... nothing happens, gets me real frustrated so I decide do the instinct-thing and click click click like a monkey, as if it would help. Then there's two or more same posts. This is the second of them in this case. Well, In less than a month should my internet provider change...

Last edited: Apr 11, 2007
  11. Trebor

Trebor Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o from ireland
    When Siwm is doing his morning exercise routine (dumbbells, jog, dumbbells, push ups, pull ups) he likes to smoke weed but only becuase it seems to allevitae the muscle tension. Plus it gives Swim an excuse to smoke before 8.

12. snapper

snapper Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Is SWIM the only one here who smokes before a work-out (and after)? I find it makes the 90-120 minutes at the gym go by much faster and does not change performance, though it does keep from SWIM leaving before finishing the planned work-out. I have tried with and without and does not find that strength is different either way, though stamina seems better with preloading THC...
    I am planning to stop smoking for a month or more just to make sure I do not prefer living life that way (good idea to take a break from something every once in a while to gain some perspective) and will certainly note the effect it's absence has on exercise.
    I also have wondered if heavy smokers can catch a buzz after a work-out from fat metabolism, which is where most residual THC is stored...