Experienced climber attempts Plateau Sigma with DXM

Discussion in 'DXM' started by El Calico Loco, Jan 26, 2007.

1. El Calico Loco

El Calico Loco Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    My friend I am 80kg and in good health. He has been to the 3rd Plateau over a dozen times and visited the 4th Plateau twice (maybe the 4 and 1/2th, as he used grapefruit juice and cigarettes the first time). After months of trials and notes, this psychonaut decided to have a go at the infamous Plateau Sigma.

He awoke from a refreshing sleep at 5pm (1700). Here are his notes:

Explanation: the test subject passed the time between doses by playing Grand Theft Auto. At one point, he wondered if perhaps his avatar didn't like beating, robbing, and shooting people. Maybe the poor guy just wanted to wander around exploring the virtual world. So that's what he did. For hours.

He began to wonder if perhaps this world, which we think of as Reality, might not be the virtual construct for some more primal race; a world created for them to be able to do things they cannot in their Reality, much as GTA allows players to do things they cannot in their Reality (at least, not without consequences).

He took a shot of bourbon after the second and third doses to take the edge of the unpleasant stimulant aspect of DXM. It worked nicely; it even added to the dissociation. He took one puff of pot for extra mellowosity.

What did he find at the end? Not as much as he had hoped. It was certainly different than his previous DXM experiences, low or high dose; by 1:30am, he felt as if he were under a constant drip of nitrous - like at the dentist, but much stronger. Adding whippets to the experience led to incredible experiences...he thinks. He can't remember any of them.

By 3am, he felt very strange. Cognitively, he felt almost sober. He seemed to be in perfect command of his judgement. His sensory input, on the other hand, was totally out of control. Everything was strobing - vision, hearing, even his sense of touch and balance. Speech was difficult. Movement was easy, but awfully weird.

What's more, the flanging became very different: it morphed from the WAHWAHWAH of nitrous to a sort of wuuuuuuuh...wuuuuuuuuh...wuuuuuuuuh.... It was almost like being underwater. The small amounts of ethanol and cannabis probably helped him keep his cool; had he been really high on pot, he's certain he would have had his first serious freakout.

His girlfriend arrived home, drunk, sometime between 2 and 3am. The conversation was difficult. Drunks seem to speak one anothers language, as do dexxers - the vocabulary of each, however, is far different. Communication was labored.

He took 50mg more diphenhydramine at 6am and attempted to sleep. No dice. He felt weary, but couldn't cross over despite his attempts at meditation. He felt strong dysphoria for the next few hours. There were interesting OEVs and CEVs, but nothing like the alien contacts or paranormal experiences reported by others at Plateau Sigma. Perhaps he made it only half the way. But that's okay - he's spoken with gods and aliens on plenty of other experiences and chemicals. :)

Sleep was impossible. He took vitamins and Red Bull and stayed up through the next day. He still felt 1st Plateau effects - with far more flanging than usual - at 2pm, over 13 hours after the final dose of DXM.

He felt almost back to baseline by 6pm. After a healthy dinner, 100mg diphenhydramine, 6mg melatonin, and 10mg valium, he felt ready to sleep at 10pm.

ECL

1. 3/5,
      very well thought out and written trip report, another fine experience report to add to the ol mental archive.
      Apr 8, 2012
    2. 3/5,
      very informative
      Oct 30, 2009
    3. 3/5,
      Very detailed trip report. Informative and beneficial.
      Dec 18, 2008
    4. 4/5,
      Searching for a good DXM trip report and found it. Thx
      Apr 21, 2007
    5. 4/5,
      Good trip report, very interesting!
      Mar 22, 2007
  2. roryDXM

roryDXM Newbie

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o
    your test subject sounded like he had quite a bit of fun.

3. El Calico Loco

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    He tells me it was interesting, but that there was as much unpleasantness as fun. He doesn't plan to do it again.

ECL

4. DrMuffy

DrMuffy Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    SWIdr used to take DXM pretty often. He usually would have 2nd-3rd plateau trips each time. He found that the first couple of hours of each experience were quite pleasurable, while the latter hours were dysphoric and unenjoyable. SWIel seemed to have a similar experience (except much more stonger). In SWIdr's case he usually gets tired of being dissociated after a while and begins to regret taking the DXM in the first place, which then leads him to the negative parts of his experience. For this reason, SWIdr is reluctant to go to the 4th plateau and higher, which SWIel did (kudos to you).

5. Nicaine

Nicaine Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from Rhode Island, U.S.A.
    Interesting insight, but the conclusion doesn't compute. Rather --

* Existence would have to exist in order for the concept of non-existence to exist. True.

* Therefore -- nonexistence is merely a conceptual fantasy, as it has no (provable) reality outside existence. And since this is so, existence is also merely a concept. It cannot be "self-" anything, because it does not exist independently (nothing does, for that matter).

P.S. the final conclusion above (nothing exists independently, co-dependent co-arising is truth) doesn't necessarily follow directly from the previous, but a bit more contemplation...

Sounds like a nice high BTW, glad it was enjoyable ;). I get his kicks more from stimulants like cola, but to each their own...

Last edited: Mar 22, 2007
  6. darkglobe

darkglobe Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Nice finds, ECL!

I hope your friend learnt something from the experience :)

7. El Calico Loco

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

Believe me, it made a lot more sense when he was high. :)

I did finally make it all the way to Sigma another time - by accident. Interested parties can read that story in the thread "DXM + Librium."

ECL

8. ipsemet

ipsemet Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Swim once spent 2 months at Plateau Sigma. Wake up, take DXM, continue dosing repeatedly throughout the day.

First two weeks, 2000mg/day.
    Second two weeks, 2500.
    Third, 3000 mg.
    Next to last week, 3500 mg.
    Last week, 4000 mg.

Swim said it was by far one of the most enlightening experiences he had ever had, though it gave him an ungodly tolerance to DXM.

9. El Calico Loco

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Ye gods. A dose like that might kill someone with no tolerance. What led the subject to evaluate DXM in this way?

ECL

10. Nnizzle

Nnizzle Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    29 y/o from earth
    WOW. I would like to hear how You felt after this? How he went about life for a month? Elaboration is definitely in order.

11. Jiggles

Jiggles Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Sorry but I am quite skeptical at claims of being on plateau sigma for a month straight, as at the very least it would be asking for brain damage.

12. Graduisic

Graduisic Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o from U.S.A.
    I am curious as to the details of what would have happened to someone who would take this much DXM for that amount of time. There would be a great deal of psychological change, not saying one would come out a completely different person, but there would be a very grand story to tell of a journey that long. One could plausibly come out of it and survive, so please ipsemet if this person has gone through this then please share the experiences in more detail.

13. Lithiumn

Lithiumn Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Swim can't imagine taking 2000mg a day, and I have an extremely high tolerance...or so he thought. Swim really wants to know more about this experience and how it affected Swiy.

14. ipsemet

ipsemet Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    SWIM also spent two months on massive doses of diphenhydramine. The idea that DXM causes long term brain damage is pretty much skepticism based on how DXM and other dissociatives affect animals, but there has been no proof of Olney's lesions or other forms of permanent brain damage in primates due to dissociatives.

As for the experience, I was able to interact with reality, though I wasn't himself during all of it. At one point, I spent two weeks, believing himself to be an individual by the name of Snake. SWIM fell in and out of conscious awareness of his senses, but for the most part, SWIM maintained connection to his senses by the skin of his teeth. During the brief periods of time where I didn't manage to hold on, the results ranged from his body continuing to do things and respond without his conscious knowledge, to him collapsing on the ground at various points in time.

SWIM experienced increase memory recall and the fantastic ability to drive better than SWIM ever did sober. To this day, most people will not ride with SWIM unless he's on DXM.

Put simply, while there were some drastic changes in the way SWIM's brain functioned, I am 100% sure that, through his own personal experience, DXM caused much less brain damage (meaning, none that is noticeable) than an equal amount of diphenhydramine abuse (where I spent 2 months taking between 800 and 2500 mg per day).

And it should be noted that SWIM's tolerance to DXM was to the point when he started such that 2000 mg over the course of a day was enough to take and keep him at Plateau Sigma.

I will include a slightly more descriptive version of SWIM's experience:

"Over the two month period, things seemed to completely change. Of course, the primary dissociative effect started to lessen, even with increased doses, which I attributed to my tolerance building at a greater rate than I was increasing my dosage. By 'primary', I'm referring to how the separation from your senses causes your conscious mind to focus inward. During that first state, when the DXM was still causing my conscious mind to focus inward, it was like everything that I did was done for a reason. As if no matter what I did, I was always doing the _right_ thing, what I was supposed to do. It never manifested as a voice telling me what to do. It was just a feeling rising up in me, and from that feeling, I knew what I was supposed to do.

As time wore on, I slowly began to adapt to the state of my mind. The separation from reality was still awkward during this time period, but I was still able to consciously control things. It was much more difficult to keep focus on reality than it was without the drug. I would still end up doing things that I didn't know why I did them, only that it felt extremely right for me to do so. At times, when one of these feelings would rise within me, I would have to fight it to try to avoid doing it. It was similar to some experiences I had on jimsonweed (Datura Stramonium) and diphenhydramine, where I would try not to respond to an auditory hallucination calling my name. Except with those two drugs, if I _was_ hallucinating it, then I was unable to stop myself from responding to it. That wasn't true of the feelings I experienced while on DXM.

I started to increase my dosage. On several occasions, I would push the dosage to extremely high levels. I would routinely push myself to a state where I felt as if I was going to lose all touch with my body if I didn't hold on. It was like a wall was being build around my conscious mind to stop me from doing anything. During these time periods, there were no feelings that forced me to do things. But I would still do things without knowing why I did them. It was as if the feelings themselves hadn't disappeared, but as if my conscious mind was now becoming dissociated not only from my senses, but from the rest of my mind as well. Crazy rationalizations of things would pop into my mind to explain the smallest of things. My love for math and logic puzzles grew to obsessive levels during this time period.

During the last month of my usage, things started to change. I began to refer to myself as 'Snake'. 'Snake' was an entirely different person from who I was. I knew that I was the same person, but I also knew I wasn't. My conscious mind at this point in time was buried to a degree. I was able to experience everything my body did, but it wasn't like I was in control. I was just simply "along for the ride". But like any back seat driver, I could still affect what my body did if I put enough effort into it. However, I saw no reason to the majority of the time. I was completely absorbed in the experience. I was experiencing all kinds of thoughts and ideas that I had never considered before, remembering things from my past that I had thought forgotten forever. I was no longer in control over whether or not I took DXM on a daily basis, but I didn't wish to stop.

During the final week or two, when my doses were approaching an average of about 3000 mg per day, the personality of 'Snake' dissolved completely. My conscious mind was to a point where it felt further set back from the senses, but like it was in control again. It's a hard feeling to describe. It wasn't the same as the dissociative feelings I had
    experienced at any point before. It felt like my mind had finally found a stable state, a balance with the changes the DXM made in the way it had to function. In the end, I
    chose to stop because I felt like I had learned all I could about where the drug could take me. Plus, it's very hard to afford 3000 to 4000 mg per day.

After I stopped taking DXM was when things really started to get weird. The left side of my brain felt... odd. It was nothing like a headache. It was nothing like anything I had
    ever felt before. During this time period, I would get these spells where this strange feeling in the left hemisphere of my brain would crescendo and suddenly I would do
    something that seemed completely random. It was much like the feelings I had gotten while on DXM, except that there was no feeling of what I should do: simply a strange feeling in my head and then I would do something. I started to notice that these types of incidents occurred more frequently whenever I began to experience a powerful emotion.

This continued for several weeks after ending my usage of DXM. While this was not my first experience with having to deal with the after effects of such drugs (for instance, using diphenhydramine for an equally long period, with equally dangerous doses), it was the one that struck me as most peculiar. I had read 'The Origin of Consciousness' and I thought that it was extremely interesting how closely my experience with DXM had mimicked bicameralism. I had read about schizophrenia being considered another supporting argument for bicameralism, I had thought that schizophrenia itself wasn't quite as good of a fit. My experience with jimsonweed and diphenhydramine made me experience textbook schizophrenia.

Yet the voices that I would hear telling me things (or sometimes taunting me) were never the same thing. With jimsonweed and diphenhydramine, it always seemed _wrong_, like something out of a nightmare. I didn't do what the voices said because I was told to; I did it because I feared the consequences if I didn't do what they said. With DXM, the feeling was always that it was simply _the right thing to do_."

ipsemet added 1027 Minutes and 18 Seconds later...

SWIM recognizes that it is rather difficult to put into words an experience that doesn't even quite seem his own anymore.

"Very well written and thorough report of extreme experiences. Don't do it at home!"

I agree that neither long term DXM usage, nor long term Diphenhydramine usage, should be attempted by any individual. But if you're going to abuse anything long term (and in massive amounts), SWIM definitely suggests DXM over diphenhydramine =P

"A decent summary of a long-term experience. I'm sure it was hard to know where to start with this! Good work!"

SWIM assures me that it was extremely difficult to decide where to start, especially considering SWIM waited quite some time before actually writing this. If SWIM ever did something like this again, he would take notes on a daily basis.

I did write quite a few things concerning his viewpoint on life during this time period, though, but, unfortunately, nothing concerning the experience itself.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2009
    1. 3/5,
      driving while under such a strong dissociative is not something to glorify or boast about. you could easily have killed someone
      May 17, 2012
    2. 5/5,
      Fascinating report. Should probably be in the experiences thread as well.
      Nov 1, 2009
    3. 5/5,
      A decent summary of a long-term experience. I'm sure it was hard to know where to start with this! Good work!
      Oct 30, 2009
    4. 4/5,
      Very well written and thorough report of extreme experiences. Don't do it at home!
      Oct 30, 2009
  15. CoryInJapan

CoryInJapan Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Wow when I read ur first post I thought ..wtf Bullshit. But wow just wow..You must have had one hell of a time doing that.I wouldnt dare doing DXM like this as 2 days in a row would seem like pushing it a little to much to swim.

16. ipsemet

ipsemet Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Yeah. SWIM definitely doesn't recommend it. It's like rewiring your entire house without being able to see what you're doing, only see the results, then trusting the rats in the ceiling to put it all back to how it was once you're done playing with it.

17. Zhekarius

Zhekarius Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    My buddy has been trying very diligently to create this scenario for himself, he thinks he almost got there but didn't quite reach it or something because it felt like a super powerful third plateau but it just tapered back to the baseline after a five or six hours.

Maybe he did reach it already and just didn't realize it at the time....hmm

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  18. misskatie

misskatie Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    AFOAF recently visited plateau sigma and can attest to the bizzare phenomenon of having what feels like a clear head while experiencing nightmareish or bizzare hallucinations and sensory/motor skills overload.. it was a uniquely unpleasant experience that was both fascinating and deeply traumatising at the same time..

the traumatic element though was more from the clear headedness convincing AFOAF that she was not high, which made the nightmarish hallucinations seem very real and unlike hallucinations from other drugs AFOAF has tried these would remain regardless of how much you focused on them. A good example was watching tv: sober people present were just sitting there watching as if everything was normal but what AFOAF was seeing was unbelievably fucked up..

The same goes for websites. It was like the text and content was totally different, seeming to substantiate AFOAFs fears and these hallucinations were absolutely 100% convincing.

There were plenty of periods of complete detatchment too where AFOAF would pursue a train of thought into a totally immersive trip about it, but everything that was filling AFOAFs head throughout this plateau was distinctly negative.

She, personally, wouldn't recommend it.

Last edited: May 28, 2012