Drug info - expired ketamine

Discussion in 'Ketamine' started by arman, Jul 15, 2006.

1. arman

arman Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from Germany
    Today,

I got a vet ketamine bottle 100mg/mL,
    the problem is that its expiry date is passed by nearly 1 year.

Althought it is stored in refrigrator (at least) in the last 1 year,
    I want to know if it could be dangerous to IM it.

it seems to be ok, cause the injection is very clear and colorless, and I think ketamine is not that kind of drugs that change overtime in a strilized bottle.

any ideas?

2. Micklemouse

Micklemouse Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Hmmm, wish I could give a definitive answer on this one. A Certain Mouse did tell me this though - the ketamine might be ok, but the excipient & suspension might not after a year & just looking at it isn't going to tell you, so injecting would not be recommended.

If SWiY doesn't want to waste the vial, The Mouse recommends evaporating the suspension off, & testing a small line of the remaining powder.

The most sensible option would be to chuck it though, unless someone can give a definite answer as to whether ketamine just loses it's potency or whether it breaks down into something toxic this long after expiry.

3. arman

arman Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from Germany
    ketamine

you'r right,
    but, is it possible that the vial contains only water (for injection) and ketamine?

and if it is only distilled water, I think it will be ok.

SWIM's brand is shown here http://www.pantex.net/injectables.htm (Ketamine 100)

SWIM really don't want to waste it, and maybe SWIM just cook some of the solution and mix the powder with water again for injection. and that should be okay. I am going to try it tonight please tell him if there is anything wrong with his method.

thanks

4. matti_2003

matti_2003 Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    I would evaporate it and snort it and see what the affects are, and then if You really wants to inject it mix the powder.

5. arman

arman Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from Germany
    success & ketamine

SWIM IMed it last night.

SWIM first evaporated vial and then add distilled water to the ketamine remaining and it dissovles easily in water and he proceed injecting it and by the way it was cool trip :crazy

Now, I know that (at least) the ketamine will remain ok even after 1 year after expire date, so someone can use this method for her expired ketamine vial.

cheers:beer

6. crackdream

crackdream Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Hmm... I do not think it is necessary to evaporate the solvent and solve it again since you found it is OK to IM the solution afterward; in fact, you did not remove any potentially poisonous subject when you evaporate the solvent.

7. Micklemouse

Micklemouse Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Could you explain how you know this for a fact? I don't doubt it could be true, but without knowing the exact nature of the excipients, it is always better to be safe than sorry...

8. trip.more

trip.more Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    anything meant to be consumed has to have an expiration date (even bottled water).As long as it's been in a cool dark place I would say it's fine to use and should produce the exact effects as it would a year ago.Ketamine comeing directly from a vial is meant to be injected so that will also be fine.

9. arman

arman Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from Germany
    sorry for my last message, I forgot to mention SWIM.

I have IMed the vial a few days ago,
    it was okay but somewhat weaker.

anyway the k bottle is now in his trash can,
    as he don't see any reason to travel to k-land anymore.

10. crackdream

crackdream Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Posted by micklemouse:
    Could you explain how you know this for a fact? I don't doubt it could be true, but without knowing the exact nature of the excipients, it is always better to be safe than sorry...
    --------------------------------------
    In fact, you cannot remove any potentially poisonous subject (e. g. degenerative excipients) by simply evaporating the solvent and dissolve it again. Since you found it is OK to IM after evaporating and dissolving, I think it is also OK without evaporating and dissolving.
    Certainly it is only my advice; you may try it using a very low dose.

11. arman

arman Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from Germany
    when dissolving the powder, ketamine will easily dissolve into water at normal temprature but the poisonous subject may not dissolve that easily and that makes the resulting injection to be safer to IM. starting low dose is also a good option.

12. crackdream

crackdream Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Thanks; could you tell me what excipients K injection often uses?

13. arman

arman Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from Germany
    Unfortunately, I was unable to find any info about excipients of K injection.