1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP
    Dismiss Notice

Side effects - Extreme Anger From Seroquel (Quetiapine)?

Discussion in 'Antipsychotics' started by penta, Apr 15, 2008.

1. penta

penta Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    33 y/o Male from U.S.A.
    Swim has been on multiple different medicines to help with anxiety and sleep for the past 8 months ranging from Atavin to Seroquel. Around 3 months ago, swim was placed onto Seroquel for sleep because swim was sent to rehab and couldn't take anything addicting because swim has a very addicting personality.

For the first 2 months, Seroquel was working great on Swim. Swim had great sleep (although swim was tired in the mornings), and swim was sleeping through the night without waking up. Well, things started to change for the worse this last month with swim. Swim has become very angry (always screaming with parents and always in a bad mood). Then, today was the worst for swim. While at school, swim had a confrontation with another kid and ended up getting kicked out of school for 8 days for punching the kid in the face multiple times.

Swim has been angry, but never this aggressive before. Swim was actually laughing during and after the event happened. After swim's father picked him up from school, swim said that swim will never take Seroquel again because of this outburst (2nd one in 3 months).

Swim was wondering if this new aggression/violence was caused by the Seroquel? Swim is very scared because swim finally realized that this act of violence was completely out of control and not like something swim would normally do.

Thanks in advanced everyone!

2. fnord

fnord

Reputation Points:
    Male
    Re: Extreme Anger From Seroquel?

This is something that should be discused with your doctor or therapist first but personally i would suggest doing what im sure you already know you should do ~stop taking the drug.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2008
  3. Matt The Funk

Matt The Funk Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.

It's very possible. SWIM had an extreme increase in anger on seroquel before being completely adjusted. SWIM once felt as though he was so braindead from the seroquel he bursted and punched a trashcan and made a fat dent in it lol.

4. Female

Female Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o Female from U.S.A.
    Swim feels very irritable, and in a bad mood too. This can either be the wellbutrin, but her money is on the seroquel, since it's 300mgs now and wellbutrin is 200mgs. She feel agitated and all the time, randomly wanting to wreck things and scream. This is so not like her, usually it takes a truck load of evil to make her more than chill.

5. fnord

fnord

Reputation Points:
    Male
    seroquel: anger and other side effects.

http://www.adrugrecall.com/seroquel/anger.html

6. fnord

fnord

Reputation Points:
    Male

As i said before,if your experiencing a drastic personality change this is something that should be immediately mentioned to your doctor. Psych meds can drasticly alter someones personality ~and its not always for the better:http://www.dr-bob.org/babble/20080430/msgs/827410.html

Many users of seroquell report negitive side effects such as anger,some peoiples anger has even gotten them into serious trouble with the law.

Ive posted a thread on seroques effects on anger,you can also view others reactions to seroquel by clicking the stickyed thread at the top of the antipsychotics forum.

Beware many psych will prescribe seroquel to solve someone's sleep problems or just to get kickbacks from the pharmaceutical company's, make sure your doctor has YOUR best interests in mind and not his/hers.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2008
  7. SusAngelo

SusAngelo Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Female from norway
    swim's just started on seroquel and has started to feel more angry and irritaded.
    not fun

8. syrossoul

syrossoul Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.K.
    swim fonds that the side effects mentioned are less prevelant if the full dose is taken at bedtime. It still works as an antipsychotic as the half life lasts pretty much the whole of the following day, depending what dose you are on - in swims case - 400mg.

swim finds it hard to take any more than 50mg during the day - renders him almost useless... so perhaps split the dose, whatever it is your consuming, into smaller mg amounts during the day -

400mg -

300mg before bed

50mg twice daily,

good luck, its a hard drug to adapt to but in swims case its the most effective for his illness.

9. Janice

Janice Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Female from U.S.A.
    I'm not finding the actual research information on Seroqul anger here. Please give me the researchers names, or publication names and information on how to find this research, so I can give it to the doctor. Thanks.

10. DiabolicScheme

DiabolicScheme Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur when using Seroquel XR Sustained-Release Tablets:

Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); confusion; difficult or painful urination; fainting; fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat; fever, chills, or persistent sore throat; hallucinations; increased saliva production or drooling; increased sweating; memory loss; menstrual changes; muscle pain, stiffness, or weakness; new or worsening mental or mood changes (eg, aggressiveness, agitation, anxiety, depression, exaggerated feeling of well-being, hostility, impulsiveness, inability to sit still, irritability, panic attacks, restlessness); numbness, burning, or tingling; persistent, painful erection; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin; seizures; severe or prolonged dizziness, light-headedness, or headache; shortness of breath; suicidal thoughts or actions; swelling of the hands, legs, or feet; symptoms of high blood sugar (eg, increased hunger, thirst, or urination; unusual weakness); tremor; trouble concentrating, speaking, or swallowing; trouble sleeping; trouble walking or standing; uncontrollable or involuntary muscle movements (eg, uncontrollable arm or leg movements, twitching of the face or tongue, loss of balance); vision changes.
    - http://www.drugs.com/sfx/seroquel-side-effects.html

Nervous system side effects have included agitation (20%), somnolence (18%), dizziness (11%), tremor (8%), and anxiety (4%). Hypertonia, dysarthria, abnormal dreams, dyskinesia, abnormal thinking, tardive dyskinesia, vertigo, involuntary movements, confusion, amnesia, hyperkinesia, increased libido, incoordination, abnormal gait, myoclonus, apathy, ataxia, stupor, bruxism, hemiplegia, aphasia, buccoglossal syndrome, choreoathetosis, delirium, decreased libido, neuralgia, stuttering, akathisia, dystonia, parkinsonism, and subdural hematoma have also been reported; however, causality has not been established. Two cases of neuroleptic malignant syndrome that may possibly have been related to quetiapine use have also been reported. One case of quetiapine associated restless leg syndrome has been reported.
    - http://www.drugs.com/sfx/seroquel-side-effects.html (toward the bottom)

Quite frankly the doctor should know what the side effects are, rare or otherwise without having to print off a research paper for him to look at. If you have problems convincing him that the drug is causing you anger issues then please switch doctors, no one wants a doctor that doesn't believe his/her patient or worse, just selling the drug to the patient for kick backs the pharmacy companies provide.

11. VyRuZ

VyRuZ Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from romania
    I've been on Seroquel XR for 2 years, now. I don't remember if I had such extreme anger as you, but I had mood problems, too.

What my doctors did for me was to put me on a mood stabilizer - in my case, sodium valproate in an extended release form, 1000mg a day, taken whole before bed, together with the complete dose of Seroquel XR (800mg for me).

I can't post research, if this is a medically-established way of dealing with the issue, so maybe you can search more on this. :)

All the best!

12. MyIQis2048

MyIQis2048 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    38 y/o Male from norway
    It's quite possible