1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP
    Dismiss Notice

Fast heart beat on marijuana

Discussion in 'Cannabis & Health' started by Guest, Aug 21, 2005.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Reputation Points:
    I have been smoking weed for about 8 months now. One time i got a really bad trip while i was high. My heart was racing a milling miles and hour and i was asking my friend next to me if my heart was racing and asked him to feel it. He saidno your heart is finebut i could tell that he was kidding(he was high as well) Then i asked him again like 15 mins later and he said it is alittle fast... so now IM FREAKING out. I thought i was going to die. I asked a different friend about 8 mins later and he said no you are fine... but i swear again he was kidding...

Now alot of the times when i smoke weed i feel like my heart is racing but i cant really tell. I sometimesalso feel like something clicks or slightly snaps in my body PHYSICALLY. and that just scares me even more. but again cant tell if its my mind or really me.Im writing this because i just had that feeling and am still kinda hi.

but thats how my story goes and could use some feed back.

thanks for any help

2. Nagognog2

Nagognog2

Reputation Points:
    And yet you continue in the behavior that causes this effect? Umm...I suggest you stop smoking grass and find a new hobby. Unless freaking out is what brings you pleasure.

3. Loser

Loser

Reputation Points:
    ya this is probably a sign of your body taking it bad... thats how i
    took it... i dont like weed either i get similiar feeling with lots of
    paranoia and feeling like i was scratching a spot but it wasnt part of
    my body... i hated all these feelings so what i did was just stopped
    taking weed... just stop doing what feels bad not much other way around
    it... the only way i do enjoy it is with alcohol or dxm or something...
    but i just dont mess with it anymore... i suggest doing the same... no
    reason in doing something that makes u feel bad if u can help it...

4. Alfa

Alfa Productive Insomniac Staff Member

Reputation Points:
    Get checked for hyperventilation.

5. big_mac

big_mac Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    when i first started to blaze i remember a couple of bad trips, my heart would start to race, paranoia would go thru the roof. I would feel dizzy and even nasea, this wus ussually followed by a green out and then i would feel A LOT better. as i kept blazing and got more experience as a stoner, it never happened again. I think it wus a total of 4 times that it happened, puked from it twice. one this is for sure. if u r having a bad trip, and U REALLY want it to go away, try throwing up, because the 2 times i did greem out, right after i wus done i felt about half as high as right before i threw up

6. pabel_giboon

pabel_giboon Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    One I knew someone who had to stop smoking cause of tachycardia
    attacks every time she hitted the bong. She told me once she called an
    ambullance because her heart was racing so hard she thought she might
    have a heart attack soon. The paramedics plainly told her: "NO ONE DIES
    FROM TACHICARDIA".

This migh be helpfull for you not to freak that much. Anyway if pot
    feels bad to you, just quit for some time or forever. I havenĀ“t smoked
    for 11 years because I got tired of not having pleasant experiences.

7. EscapeDummy

EscapeDummy Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    Recently, when swim has been smoking if he's drunk/on another substance, his heart POUNDS and his HR can get up to 160, albeit briefly. It's really freaking him out though, because until now his HR used to only go up to ~100bpm, which is normal for weed, and this stuff never happened before... he doesnt think they are panic attacks (unless these are in fact them, he's never had panic attacks before), because he first notices his heart going crazy, THEN he starts to think about it, and tries to breathe deeply, calm down, but his heart just stays high for a while before slowly coming down.

8. ownedinpwnsauce

ownedinpwnsauce

Reputation Points:
    For swim, everytime he smokes his heart beats faster. He went to a physical exam after smoking 3 bowls of some headies and the doctor was concerned for how fast my heart was beating. On adderal it can get a lot lot lot higher for him though

9. Coconut

Coconut

Reputation Points:
    Increased heart rate is a very common side effect of Cannabis use, especially if it's a sativa dominant strain. In fact, I would imagine almost everyone experiences this.

The problem with it, however, it that not only does the heart beat faster, but it beats harder, increasing blood pressure. My tree has also noticed that you will imagine it beating faster and harder than it really is. He once told me about how sometimes he will feel it going at over 120bpm, but upon putting his hand to his chest, it feels about normal, only slightly faster than usual.

This is a self-perpetuating phenomenon with Cannabis use. The fear of a heart attack will cause increased heart rate and blood pressure, which then exacerbates that fear and the cycle continues.

It's something to think about. Just keep reminding SWIYself that nobody's heart is going to explode just from getting high. The strain put on the cardiovascular system is far less than what one would get during jogging.

10. chilliker

chilliker Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Indeed, any smoke you take in, not only pot, will raise your heart rate.

11. stephen.cameron

stephen.cameron Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    It is no more harmful then going for a jog, it should only be a worry if there is an existing heart problem, in that case it would be wise to talk to a doctor before one goes consuming marijuana

SWIM found that regular walking helps get rid of the paranoia, the better ones health becomes the less paranoid they will get, maybe there is something in that for all of us

We are often paranoid for a reason, and if we ignore other things that are bothering us for example your physical health then paranoia will find other outlets

SWIM also finds that he can enjoy smaller amounts of marijuana a lot more then large amounts of it

12. Rise against

Rise against

Reputation Points:
    sounds like swiy was having a panic attack. swims advice is to get relaxed, and smoke it by swiy self, lay down and liston to music. See if this helps. This happened to swim but anxiety no longer interferes with his trips.

13. MajorTom

MajorTom

Reputation Points:
    well put,

yes its your mind fucking with you, it's good, I think it means your human

If you enjoy smoking than ask your doctor about clonazepam, tell him Tom sent you, just say your mind is racing all night and you cant get too sleep and your always worrying, but pretend you dont know what it is. just remember Benzo's can put you to sleep.