Fast heartbeat with Adderall

Discussion in 'Adderall' started by gn2osis, Feb 12, 2006.

1. gn2osis

gn2osis Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    from denmark
    I'm new to amphetamines, and managed to get an Rx for Adderall. I find it to be good stuff for my supposed ADHD, but am concerned that after 15 mg, my heartrate rises from 75 bpm to 90-110 bpm (considered tachycardia if over 100). I'm going to ask my doctor, but would appreciate input from any experienced users of Adderall or other amphetamines. How serious a sign is tachcardia? Is it possible that it eventually will go away as one's body gets used to the drug?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2006
  2. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    New warning labels are on the horizon in the USA for adderal, ritalin, and the other ADHD drugs. It has been noted that these can cause sudden-death in certain individuals. We had known this for some time, but now it is official. Be careful.

3. bcStoner420

bcStoner420 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    After gaining tolerance to the drug you should lose any side effects or at least they will be much less noticable. At least this is what happens when I don't need my prescription for a while for whatever reason, and then I go back on it when I do need it again. Except for me the problem isn't heartrate so much (just because it doesn't bother me too much) though I do get it, my major problem is insomnia (the script is XR).

4. gn2osis

gn2osis Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    from denmark
    Thanks, I'm going to be very careful and get my heart checked. It's great stuff on challenging days, no better way to motivate and focus and take the edge off fatigue, but it just doesn't feel like something that's very healthy to take routinely. Evil drug! No, wait, effective pharmaceutical!

Bummer re the insomnia -- can you get switched off XR? I'd rather be in charge of dosing myself than rely on an XR. Insomnia hasn't been a problem for me with the IR.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2006
  5. TXRoughneck

TXRoughneck Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Note that many people have a normal resting rate of over 100 bpm, especially those with petite frames. Babies range from 140 to 180. Get yourself checked out. If no arrhythmias / abnormalities, stop worrying about it. Anxiety about your heart rate tends to increase your heart rate.

6. pharmapsyche

pharmapsyche AKA Miss Methylene Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    Adderall works by releasing dopamine and norepinephrine from their storage vesicles within neurons of the central-nervous-system. Dopamine is an inhibitory neurotransmitter with paradoxical excitatory properties, and norepinephrine is a key neurotransmitter in awakeness-arousal. Norepinephrine is concentrated in the locus coreleus and is projected to different areas of the brain which control alertness, awakeness, metabolism and the like. With this said, tachycardia is almost always expected when beginning treatment. In a short amount of time, the euphoric and cardiovascular aspects tend to fade away as the body builds a steady state in the blood. If you feel the need to take action, switch to 10mgs for a while. Are you using Adderall or Adderall XR?

7. sti11man

sti11man Newbie

Reputation Points:
    28 y/o
    hey all iv been taking 30 mg xr for about 2.5 years and i used to (and sometimes still do) get really bad heart pains. So bad i had to leave class felt like someone was driving a fork into my upper left chest and armpit. ex,my heart would pound as if i was dong a cardo intensive work out when i was just listing to a lecture in class. other times i might not be able to breath very well. ex, i would take a full breath of air and still feel the need to get more air in my lungs, also friends noted i took quick deep breaths very often, say 5 in a span if 15 min. im hopeing my discriptions can lead aid anyone who knows what they are talking about. thkx