1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP

Culture - Favourite type of bar?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Nosferatus, May 20, 2017.

1. Nosferatus

Nosferatus Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from Canada
    The title says it all, mine are seedy hotel bars, preferably with pool and/or strippers, bar and grill type places, and Asian restaurant lounges. What about you?

2. Kathy1221

Kathy1221 Silver Member Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    from Somewhere over the rainbow
  3. Nosferatus

Nosferatus Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from Canada
    ^^
    ai.ytimg.com_vi_bcYppAs6ZdI_hqdefault.jpg

4. perro-salchicha614

perro-salchicha614 Dark Muse Titanium Member Supporter

Reputation Points:
    35 y/o from the peanut gallery
    All of the above. :D

5. Pyron

Pyron Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from United States
    Depends on the circumstance and vibe. If I'm looking to go hard, I like busy bars in downtown urban environments preferably with a larger group where we're all taking shots and bouncing from bar to bar and stuff. But if I just wanna chill and have a few beers with a friend or two, then pretty much anywhere that I can easily sit down and be able to converse without being blasted out by loud music or conversation is a good choice. I'm not a fan of strip clubs, I think they're a total waste of money and having some girl rub her ass up against my jeans for 5 minutes isn't worth $20, sorry. Not to mention in those establishments there's often a pressure to be constantly shoveling out money, I much prefer to just chill and drink without disturbance.

Drinking out is fun but ultimately not my preferred situation. It is definitely enjoyable to be out and about and have drinks served to you, but the price difference between bars and liquor stores is so steep that I'd rather just hang at my house with a friend where we can get shitfaced for an eighth of the price and don't have to worry about transportation

6. JaneGault

JaneGault Always Seeking Knowledge Silver Member Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    from Commune in Midwestern USA
    As you might expect, biker hangouts.

Alternatively, I enjoy just about any place without tablecloths or karaoke.

7. Budgetadvisoryservice

Budgetadvisoryservice Blue Water Scum Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from On the bay
    I'll second that.

I'm not big on public places where alcohol is consumed, though I do love the vibe of those out of the way country pubs which are more a cultural phenomenon than business.
    The Mussell Inn in Takaka, Marahau Park Cafe, and The Puhoi Pub and Hotel (a kiwi biker Mecca).

Last edited: May 22, 2017
  8. Nosferatus

Nosferatus Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from Canada
    ^^Ah pubs, I completely forgot pubs, no experience with isolated country ones but it's on the bucket list. Here the good ones either close down or turn douchey, with or without a corresponding remodelling.

Pyron: Not a fan of dedicated strip clubs either, here you generally need to be attached to a hotel or restaurant or provide some sort of entertainment to sell drinks without food, a lot of hotel bars will hire a couple of strippers at lunch or after work, and have one or two nights a week where they're there for longer, it's definitely a pleasant addition to other irresponsible behaviour.

Last edited: May 20, 2017
  9. Bobbacanooch

Bobbacanooch Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Alright so what Pyron said is pretty much on point with how I think. I'm really too cheap for the whole bar scene. Plus I hate paying to get teased at a strip club and understand about the feeling of constant pressure to give more money.

That being said I find it difficult to make it through an airport without getting drunk, especially when i have a layover. It's also extremely enjoyable/rewarding to me for some reason; I guess I see it as a challenge or adventure making it to my gate and by extension my destination while I'm pissy drunk. Not saying it's a good idea or even responsible but oh well.

Aside from that any situation where the drinks are not on my tab (yes I'm a bum) I will drink and enjoy, not thinking of how i could've gotten drunk 5 days in a row if I spent the same amount of money at a gas station or liquor store. Oh and the least crowded places are always the best in my opinion.

10. Pyron

Pyron Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from United States
    ^^ I know what you mean about airports, drinks are a great way to pass the time. I usually only get one or maybe two though just because they're usually so damn expensive, I guess they have to do that or else there'd be too many people getting drunk during layovers. I also like to smoke some weed before taking a flight, it makes it so easy to pass the time just listening to some music or surfing the web.

Nosferatus, I can definitely see the difference there, as long as there's no pressure to give any money and I can just casually sip on drinks then nothing wrong with the extra entertainment. I should also mention the opportunity to go to places like that are rare for me anyway since there aren't very many close by, most of the bars around my area are either your standard restaurant/bar combo or microbreweries, which are great since I love craft beer but also fairly pricey

11. 4KPX

4KPX Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Out with the pals just to screw off and get drunk will land us in any beach area bar or downtown area. If I'm out to chase tail the dive bars hands down. Much cooler crowd, better music and most of all you can actually have a discussion with someone instead of shouting in a loud obnoxious bar.