Finally!! It's Time to Kick This Junk!! (opiates)

Discussion in 'Opiate & Opioid addiction' started by paulcook, Jan 3, 2007.

1. paulcook

paulcook Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Hello there! I have been a member on the forum for about 2 months. He is very greatful for the support and wealth of information that can be found here on The Forum. Anyhow, I have been abusing pain-killers for a number of years, although it has reached it's height in the past 6 months. Before, it was just some Vicodin every now and again, then oxy every now and again, then everyday for the past months. This is a very dark and lonely path, and he no longer wants to walk it. I have the support of his family and friends, so we think he can actually do this this time. (He has only made one other attempt to quit without support, and he failed miserably.) But now, it is time for some professional help. He has been prescribed Clonidine to help with some symptoms, but it never really helps; just makes him feel really wierd, undesirable effects. When he cannot sleep, he takes some Tramadol, which does seem to help, but we are wondering if that just won't postpone the inevitible. So in the next couple of days, I am starting on a Subutex program. Do any of you think that I should wait a bit longer to take the Subutex after recently taking Tramadol/Methadone?? I'm very excited for this to be the end of My drug addiction and he could really use all of the support that he can get. Thank you for listening to my blathering and stay strong all of you!!! Opiates are the worst addiction that I have ever seen, and we really hope that this will truly be the end. Please send me your Prayers and your positive energy as this is extremely hard for us both. Lots of love. ~Paul

2. amblerg

amblerg Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Re: Finally!! It's Time to Kick This Junk!!

On behalf of myself and my family, I wish you nothing but the best. You will be kept in our prayers.

keep the forum posted on your progress.

3. paulcook

paulcook Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

Well, I am about to take his first Subutex pill, but he is a little worried. You see, he cheated 24 hours ago, thinking "Hey, I'm quitting anyway, right?" Stupid! We have read that it'd be best to wait 48 hours, but My parents are wondering why he hasent taken his much sought after medication yet. So here goes and I'll keep y'all posted weather it puts him into full blown withdrawls or if he feels better. Thanks again for all your support.

4. paulcook

paulcook Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

So the first go of Subutex went great. Virtually no withdrawl symptoms with only a slight headache, which I hear is common. Right now the Doc has told Swim not to worry about how much he is taking, just keep the shivvers away. The Doc estimated about 20 mil a day. So far I have taken two 8 mil tablets today (6 hours apart). They make him feel kinda funny, almost like he's high on opiates (which technically he is) but a little different.
    The taste gets to Swim though. Yuck! I guess its better than the dirty dirty black. The Doc figured that the Subutex detox would take 1 to 2 months. I thought that was a bit long, but she says the longer the better chance of success. What do you guys think? How long have others' Subutex treatments taken?

5. saintsfan

saintsfan Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    33 y/o

Thats good just stick with it. Your really showing signs of strength and you did all of the right things. Everyone who has an adiction should follow in your footsteps.

6. paulcook

paulcook Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

Well it has been a couple days on the Subutex and all is well. No signs of withdrawl symptoms at all. Swim met with an Addiction Councilor today and she was very nice. She is a former heroin user so she is very relatable. She recommended Swim check out some NA meetings and he plans to do so. It's late and I must sleep, but I'll check in tomarrow and let you know how I am doin'. Thanks.

7. saintsfan

saintsfan Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    33 y/o

Thats great keep us posted.

8. Forthesevenlakes

Forthesevenlakes Platinum Member

Reputation Points:

The longer the tapering goes, the more gradual and smooth the transition to a lower opioid tolerance (and ultimately less or no withdrawals) at the end, when You gets off subutex. I have noticed that subutex gives a slight antidepressant or energetic feeling in himself and other lab rats, some of whom are using it to detox. It definitely works wonders for combatting the physical symptoms of withdrawal, I do not, however, know if it helps lessen the possible depression and feeling that fun can't be had without opiates that some lab rats experience after kicking. Do let us know how You is doing, experiences and reports from yous bold enough to challenge their own demons can often serve as great inspirations and a source of comfort from others fighting similar battles.

9. paulcook

paulcook Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

Well guys, I am still here and he is still clean!! Sorry he hasn't written sooner, he's just been so busy! He has recently taken up Archery oddly enough and finds it to be a great release. Honestly, if you are trying to kick opiates, you gotta get some new hobbies and new habits to replace your older, unhealthy ones. I am very well aware that it is extremely hard to start doing physical activity after a long time abusing opiates, but it is absolutely the best thing for you!!! Swim starts noticing, "Hey Look at my arms!!?? They arent all scrawny and shriveled up!!" You start to build some self-esteem back up; start caring about your image and maybe even think about trying to get (dare say) a WOMAN!! I don't know about you all, but Swim's sex drive has been NOTHING for the past 6 months. No sex whatsoever and he didn't even care. Still doesn't really. But it's getting better. You see, on Subutex, you can actually reach orgasim. Oxy or H, forget it, but suprisingly you can come on Subutex. Pretty cool. On a side note, I am starting to look much better too. The color is coming back to his skin. The dark circles and lines near his eyes are fading, and a little bit of fat is coming back into his face. For Swim, eating is hard. So he must exercise (and smoke pot) in order to get his appetite up. I am generally a happy, not-moody person, but after all of his abuse, it has been hard to find happiness in things without using drugs. For some they need to help others or play with animals or something, but whatever it is for you, do it. Being optimistic and staying stoked is the biggest thing when it comes to kicking opiates. I'm sure some of you know, its like losing your best friend or a lover. Its really fukin hard!! For those of you going through what Swim's going through, I saw a sticker at a rehab clinc I was at, and it read: "If you're going through hell, keep going." And that's what I have to say to all of you. Keep on going!!! I pray for all of you whom I read about in the recovery/addiction forum, and I appreciate all of your prayers and support. With love, Paul.

10. monkeygone2heaven

monkeygone2heaven Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

paulcook, you are doing AMAZINGLY well and congrats for going thru the hardest part!

opiates are no way to live, swim knows this herself. they are very dangerous too. I has passed out on them a few times (mixed with alcohol) in dangerous situations, physically hurt herself etc. she decided to quit before they became a huge problem and that was several months ago. your use was heavier i know but you can do it and it's worth it to be free from the compulsion, numbness, loneliness, and all the rest (don't forget constipation !)

you are right on the ball about taking up hobbies. I am right now dealing with alcohol abuse and she finds that on nights she doesn't drink (hard but it's been 6 days!) the key thing is to engage in hobbies.

all in all, it looks like you're going about this the right way and i wish you all the best in your continuing recovery.

11. paulcook

paulcook Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

Thank you so much for your words of encouragement. I am so excited that I'm starting to feel like me again! I want to remember what it feels like to be happy naturally, and I'm almost there. But not yet. I'm sorry to hear about the alcoholism. Never had trouble with that, but the opiates are a bitch. (sigh) Back to you. .. 6 days clean though, thats great!! As you know that is the hardest part. For me, the Subutex helps. Too bad there's not a magic pill for your friend's condition. Keep trying, keep on trudging. Let us know how you are doing. I will remember you in my prayers. Thank you.

12. saintsfan

saintsfan Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    33 y/o

Thats great archery is fun lol.

13. pankreeas

pankreeas Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    99 y/o

Just throwin in a Kudos.. everyone needs positive support.. sounds like you managed to get the best of it before it got the best of you. On day 6 you should be feeling a lot better physically, but as we know thats nothing compared to the mental.. so be strong and post on here lots.

14. paulcook

paulcook Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

Thanks again all. . . Tomarrow Swim leaves for Canada . His doc gave him 40 Subs for the 14 day duration that he wil be gone. The trip should be a blast and the physical activity ought to be good for him. I wont be posting, I dont think, I dunno. . . maybe there will be a wi-fi connection out there. So don't think I went on some crazy drug binge. Again. . . Hahaha. .. . hummmm.. . It's not really funny. Thanks you and good night.

15. monkeygone2heaven

monkeygone2heaven Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

hope to hear from You when you get back!

16. NeverSober

NeverSober Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o from U.S.A.

hey brother thansk for your support so Im here to offer mine. ANYTHING you need jus tpm me. I pmed you but hit me up with your aim sn or somethign so we can cha tother than the forums.

17. tehsyfdan

tehsyfdan Newbie

Reputation Points:
    57 y/o

I admire you so much!!!! SWIM wishes he had your strength. SWIM also wishes there was someone to talk to about it. SWIM's wife has no idea and would probably leave if found out.

18. NeverSober

NeverSober Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o from U.S.A.

How are things goin bro? Havent heard from you in a few days.........Ive been doin well myself and have managed to steer clear of my deamons....

19. paulcook

paulcook Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Hey Yall!!! Sorry I took so long to post back on The Forum. Canada was absolutely amazing. Beautiful country and awesome snowboarding conditions. Vancouver was so much fun. I would definitely go back. At any rate, My been doin pretty damn good too. He missed his councilor appointment today, but he also started his Subutex maintainence with a new doc. New doc is MUCH cheaper and doesn't want to see him every week (like his old doc did) and charge him over a hundred dollers PER visit. (on top of script charges) He is very pleased. Thank you all so much for your support and just thinking about Swim. This is not an easy road, especially to walk by yourself. This is the hardest thing that I have ever dones in his entire life. For those of you in the same position, keep on being strong and post on here as much as physically possible (within reason). There are a lot of really great people on here to give advice and you can passdown said advice to others in nee. Build eachother up. Thanks again and we will check in again tomorrow. Oh yeah, quittin cigaretts now too. Eeek.

20. NeverSober

NeverSober Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o from U.S.A.
    haha man its been 6 days since Ive had a but............thisis just gettin weirder and weirder.......I think I need to sly out to cali this summer man.