1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP

Fingernail drug test?

Discussion in 'Drug testing discussion' started by Jmazz19, Sep 30, 2010.

1. Jmazz19

Jmazz19 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    36 y/o from U.S.A.
    Someone I know is taking a fingernail drug test tomorrow for a job. Their hair was to short for a follicle so thats the reason for this. From what I know it is similar to a hair follicle. This person rarely uses drugs other than lortab and they have a script for that so it isnt a concern. My question is if they smoked a bowl or two on july 4th, almost 3 months ago, then did a couple grams of shitty coke about 25 days ago is this enough to fail it? Not to familliar with this sort of test so any help would be nice. Thanks.

2. Jasim

Jasim Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Fingernail tests are completely news to me. If the detection is similar to a hair test a single use is not likely to show a positive. Being unfamiliar with these kinds of tests I cannot say with certainty that it will be negative, but I think the chances of a positive are very slim. For drug deposition into hair or fingernail use must be relatively high for some period of time.

3. Moving Pictures

Moving Pictures Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    29 y/o from U.S.A.

http://www.drugtestingnetwork.com/fingernail-testing.htm

I've never heard of one either until I did this search.​

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2017
  4. Jmazz19

Jmazz19 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    36 y/o from U.S.A.
    This was the first Ive heard of it as well. After doing some research it seem to be very similar to a hair follicle and tests more for regular use.

5. godztear

godztear Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o from Minnesota, U.S.A.
    Is the test from fingernail cuttings or is it from the cuticle?

6. Jasim

Jasim Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Looks like it's from the fingernail clipping itself. They submerge the clipping in some solvent which cleans it of any contaminants, then they put the clipping in a different solvent which dissolves the clipping and releases the drug analytes. From that point on the analysis is identical to hair drug testing.

I've posted a new discussion on this in the Forensic Drug Chemistry group to initiate discussion and gathering of additional information. I'll be updating the Drug Testing Sticky at some point with any information on these tests.

Any contributions or other information regarding any of these keratin drug tests would be greatly appreciated. There is still very little on the forums on this subject.

7. Jmazz19

Jmazz19 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    36 y/o from U.S.A.
    Ill update this thread when I learn the results of their drug test.

8. Jmazz19

Jmazz19 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    36 y/o from U.S.A.
    Just figured I would update this. The test came back and neither the coke or weed showed up in the results.