1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP

Shroom hunting - First Shroom Hunt

Discussion in 'Magic Mushrooms (Psilocybe & Amanita)' started by frostymonkeycake, May 14, 2017.

1. frostymonkeycake

frostymonkeycake Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from New Zealand
    Hey All,

So my friend went for a completely innocent walk earlier and came across a couple of mushrooms. He's asking if he could get some help identifying them and their effects.

1. Are any of the shrooms usable (as in, edible/brew in a tea)
    2. Will any kill him
    3. Should they just all be thrown out and no trip tonight
    4. Are they all okay to take a random mix and brew

Which ones should he use (if any) and turn into a tea. He's never tried anything like shrooms before but was told that in New Zealand it is mushroom season and he is likely to find: psilocybe subaeruginosa and psilocybe aucklandii

This walk was around the edge of a pine forest in areas that are damp but do have some exposure to sunlight. He had no idea what he was looking for other than a few pics.

Please let me know if I should get some better individual photos for ID'ing. Photos attached (hopefully)

Thanks all!

20170514_180550[1].jpg 20170514_180607[1].jpg 20170514_180619[1].jpg 20170514_180635[1].jpg 20170514_180641[1].jpg 20170514_180648[1].jpg 20170514_180657[1].jpg 20170514_180705[1].jpg 20170514_180711[1].jpg

2. Budgetadvisoryservice

Budgetadvisoryservice Blue Water Scum Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from On the bay
    The bright red/orange ones are amnitas, probably muscaria. Chuck em. Read up on them because they're interesting, but they are not for beginners and are highly toxic. I hope you washed your hands...

The ones with frilly flakes coming off them are also poisonous and potentially deadly if ingested. They look very similar to psilocybe subaeruginosa, which are the ones I posted in the photos you saw, only the cap peals, they have a frilly stem when mature and they won't turn blue.

Nice try, but chuck what you've got and keep hunting. The good ones often grow near what you've picked, so look around the boundary of that patch of grass. They are usually hiding, whereas the frilly ones you have will often be exposed above shorter grass. In the habitat photo I posted, you'll notice that the grass is very long and I've combed it over to reveal the pine litter mulch beneath. That's what you're after.

Also, notice how some have big clumps on the base? That's mycelium which you've disrupted. That mycelium is now damaged and won't yield more shrooms this season. Try to cut them off or snap the stems as you have with some of the shrooms you've picked.

You're on the right track, just keep picking and posting and look for the blue streaks.

3. Potter

Potter Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Budget, you are so wrong on the A. muscaria. They are not deadly and there is no reason to wash your hands.

OP please list all the mushroom ID books you are using. If you do not have any books, you go get some. This is a totally unacceptable way to "hunt mushrooms".

Honestly, looking over your post, just don't. You really have zero idea what you are doing and will end up in trouble. Just go buy some reefer or booze.

4. Budgetadvisoryservice

Budgetadvisoryservice Blue Water Scum Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from On the bay
    @ Potter - I never said that they are deadly, though now that you mention it...

Amnita muscaria contain ibotena, the prodrug of muscamol which is the active hallucinogen in a. muscaria. Ibotenuc acid is a potent neurotoxin, ingestion of which can absolutely lead to death, however it is easy to treat and, due to the disturbing effect of the compound for those who ingest it, is very seldom left untreated at doses high enough to cause serious or permant damage.

The mushrooms which I suggested are dangerous are the flaky ones pictured which are known here as the Lace Death Cap. This nomenclature is colloquially used to define a handful of species here including two types of amnita which are extremely hepatoxic.

I double checked the details of this post with the help of google and got confirmation from wikipaedia. It was easy, and I suggest that you do the same in future in order to check your facts before posting. I also suggest that you read the post which you are replying to in order to ensure you don't offend though falsely questioning the integrity of information contained in it.

I just reviewed the images and I should add that the boletes (spongy fungus with a split cap) may well also be poisonous, but if the OP followed my advice and ditched all his taking then this shouldn't be an issue. It was advice which he expressly asked me to provide, so I imagine that he probably took it to heart. I see value in this thread as it, when complete, should stand as a type of guide to magic mushroom hunting in NZ. Your suggestion that he research the subject deeply is a good one, though your suggestion that he 'just dont' is not and, if you knew the background and context to this situation then you would understand that it is not in the spirit of harm reduction.

The fact is that learning to properly identify psychoactive species of fungus in NZ can be a very rewarding way to start out in the field of altered states without many of the harms which befall those who's only other access to psychoactive drugs are prescriptions for benzo's and opioids, the gang controlled and extortionate NZ meth and cannabis industry, or the most harmful drug of all - ethanol.

Last edited: May 15, 2017
  5. Adas

Adas Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    22 y/o from Slovakia
    General rule with Psilocybes is that they exhibit a blue bruising after a few seconds to minutes. This should be the most important thing if you're trying to collect these. And, of course, look up images and characteristics of the mushrooms you want to find. Making a spore print also never hurts. Should be purple-brown with all Psilocybes. With these characteristics, you can be sure it's an active mushroom.

Also, don't make the mistake of collecting large amounts of mushrooms and identifying just a few of them. You need to check every single one. Deadlies tend to grow near actives. Good luck.

6. frostymonkeycake

frostymonkeycake Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from New Zealand
    @All, thanks for the input. It was a good learning experience with a first time in the bush... Yep, all were ditched and of course all future collected will be fully ID'd before consuming - but thanks for the concern. I now have a better idea of what to look for on the next hunt - it seems the blue bruising is key.

Cheers.