1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP

Dose - First Time Mushroom Dosage

Discussion in 'Magic Mushrooms (Psilocybe & Amanita)' started by LeadCenobite, Jan 29, 2005.

1. ianzombie

ianzombie Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    42 y/o from ireland
    While you had a mild experience on 3.5 grams, and it might have been down to quality especially if they were old or badly dried/stored, i would not recommend that a first timer take that much. Liberty caps are pretty potent, more so than Psilocybe Cubensis and 3.5 grams of them can be a pretty wild ride.

Always start off with a low dose, especially for the first time. You can always take more but you cant take less once you have ingested them.

I would recommend no more than 1 gram for the first time. If you enjoy that and you feel you could take more then try them again after a month, maybe add an extra .5 grams to the previous dose.

Keep in mind that different people can have very different reactions to the same dose. What one person finds mild might send another person over the edge. :)

2. Millie Platt

Millie Platt Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o from france
    aside from what's been discussed already, my advice is expect the unexpected. literally. throw out any preconceptions you have and just go for it. responsibly of course.

shrooms are such a random drug, it's ridiculous.

one trip, the hallucinations were insane. then a few days later i tripped again, same batch of shrooms, roughly the same dosage, nothing different and the hallucinations were minimal at best. it was a total body-stoned feeling. to the point were i was practically incapacitated.

incredibly weird.

most hallucinogens are unpredicatble by nature and you can never tell how a trip will turn out. but i've found shrooms especially unpredictable. much more so than acid anyway.

3. Trippystix

Trippystix Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from California, U.S.A.
    So i am going to buy an 8th of shrooms, which i believe is around 4 grams, correct me of im wrong. Anyway i am sure that they are pretty good potent mushrooms. And so i want to know if i eat a whole 8th by myself on an empty stomach, and i weight around 115-120 pounds, will an 8th make me trip hard orrr, well i suppose i just want to know how much i need to take to be able to trip, a decent nice hard trip. Sorry if i don't make alot of sense haha but please the sooner the response the better

4. ianzombie

Reputation Points:
    42 y/o from ireland
    An 8th is 3.5 grams.
    28 grams (1 ounce) divided by 8.

It depends on what type of mushrooms they are when it comes to dosing.

You need to do some basic research first, these sort of questions are easily answered by reading the threads at the top of the mushroom forum.

A good dose of Psilocybe Cubensis for someone new to them would be about 1.5 - 2.0 grams.
    This should be more than enough to give you a good idea of the mushroom experience without pushing you over the edge, i would recommend you start with 1.5 grams.

Not everyone enjoys the experience so always start low.
    You can always take more the next time if you think you can handle it.

3.5 grams would be a lot for someone if they have no experience with hallucinogenic drugs at all.

Please read up on set (mind set) and setting (where you take them) as this will affect the experience a lot.
    Have a sober sitter with you that has also read up on mushrooms and knows what to expect, especially knows how to help someone should they have an uncomfortable experience (bad trip)

Read as much as possible in these forums before even considering taking mushrooms.

Start here...
    How to Use the Mushroom Forums/Mushroom Forum FAQ https://drugs-forum.com/threads/229051

he First Time Questions and Advice Thread https://drugs-forum.com/threads/39348

Just look through the first page in the forum, there are lots of 'first time' threads, your answers will be in those.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
  5. strange clouds5

strange clouds5 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    if its your first time I wouldn't go eating the whole thing ... try weighing out just 1 gram flat to get a taste of how they feel maybe even 1.0 g - 1.7g ...

6. Trippystix

Trippystix Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from California, U.S.A.
    Ive done my share of acid. I know they are totally different but i have gone through the "threshold" on acid and i suppose i should have clarified this. But i suppose i wanted to know what the "threshold" dose is on mushrooms? Im pretty educate in the subjects of drugs, alot of drugs. And i know alot about substances but i never know much about dosage. I know about the mindset. And im very responsible with my use, and i know this stuff is not a toy, and i know i am not going to be putting myself at risk of having a bad trip, and i have researched alot about shrooms and i think im covered on everything besides dosage. Sorry if i wasted your time man, i should have been more clear about it, so thats my bad.

7. detoxin momma

detoxin momma Just A Brick In The Wall Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from Mid-West USA
    i would stick with 1 gram.maybe 1.5

its better to be under dosed than over dosed .you can alwys take more if the trip is too weak for you,but once you've ate them all theres no turnng back lol..

good luck

8. ianzombie

Reputation Points:
    42 y/o from ireland
    Nothing is ever a waste of time. :)
    Cool, now i know you have experience with other drugs i would recommend the same as DM above and say 1 gram to 1.5 grams. 1 grams will certainly be enough to give you a taste, presuming they are psilocybe cubensis. Other mushrooms can be stronger so less would be needed for a threshold dose.

Personally i like the 1.5 gram dose. Its enough without ever being too much. :)

9. Trippystix

Trippystix Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from California, U.S.A.
    Thanks man, ive been researching mushrooms as much as i can, doses and effects, ect. So i think im going to settle with about 1.5 grams to get the feel for the batch im getting, and if its weak ill have some more, i tend to push myself as much as possible but i think with shrooms since i have very little experience with them, ill start off small, thats what i did with acid and maybe if i like mushrooms ill eventually go all out one day haha. But i assume a goomy buzz wont be to hard to handle, what ive been hearing is just let it flow and just let the shrooms take u away, acid is different and a little unpredictable but so are shrooms, but in their own way i suppose
    Anyway thanks alot dude, u and DM definentally helped cause i was thinkin of taking a whole 8th at once for a while lol, mayybe i should wait a little bit for that, and as far as my post the other day about the zoloft, i stopped taking it cause i have a better control on the depression, lately ive been easing myself off my meds slowly anyway but i mean i picked a different life style, and it changed my views and stuff. I basically decided being a hippie go with the flow type person is much easier than being mad all the time, idk if that makes sense but i mean i gave up anger, and frustration and i started seeing the world differently. Sorry if im going on a little bit but anyway i have things under control, i guess its more of myself coming of age. Being a teenager is fucking weird and it took from me from age 13 to age 19 to really notice that i don't have to have negative emotions, if theres a negative theres always a positive

10. My Dog Is Dead

My Dog Is Dead Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Hello everybody, I has done lucy about 15 times and nearly always felt comfortable. Swim also got his hands on a quarter of shrooms (to split with one friend). He is wondering if he should start with an 1/8th or somewhere around 2g? He did 2 hits of acid his first time and was overall happy he just jumped in like that.

Also, we are planning on going to a nature preserve if we can find somebody to drive. Anything else we should try during our experience? Pink Floyd and Twenty One Pilots and other music is usually incredible on acid he says. Will music sound different on shrooms too? Sorry he has no idea what to expect.

11. Gallama

Gallama Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Well, as you should know after so much LSD experience, set and setting are of paramount importance. Make sure you have nothing worrisome on your mind, are with trusted friends, and it will probably be great. I might cause some debate by saying this, but I would personally do the entire 1/8th. I have done 2g of mushrooms alone on two occasions and was mildly disappointed. However I am a big fan of large doses of most drugs, but if you feel you are captain of your own ship then go for it. I would say you should just go into it without any preconceptions or expectations.

I think the nature reserve sounds wonderfundle, as long as it isn't too busy. I wouldn't like to trip around sober people in public. Music on Shrooms is just as enhanced as on acid in my opinion. I recommend something uplifting. I personally can't get enough of Dave Matthews Band live music when I'm tripping, the musicians are all so phenomenally talented. Especially Carter on the drums, that dude always has the widest smile at all times when he plays.

I find shrooms to be a bit less visual than acid, and a tad bit more productive mentally. I go into some severe thought loops on acid but not on shrooms, therefore I can get a lot more deep thinking done on the latter. It is of course, different for each individual. Whatever you decide to do, enjoy your tripping!

12. babalooj

babalooj Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    22 y/o from New York, U.S.A.
    I'd just like to pretty much repeat Gallama's advice on jumping in and using an entire eighth for your first time, especially that you've always felt comfortable on LSD.
    I don't have much experience at all with shrooms or any other psychedelics, but the few times i have done shrooms, i dosed about 2 grams or less, and the experiences were quite disappointing and uncomfortable; most people i know who are well versed in psychedelics seem to agree that dosing too low on shrooms results in uncomfortable experiences

13. My Dog Is Dead

My Dog Is Dead Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Thanks both of you guy for answering! I am dosing either tomorrow or tuesday and decided to eat the whole 1/8th. Ill let you guys know how it goes! These answers really assured swim and I'm feeling positive and excited! Thanks again.

My Dog Is Dead added 513 Minutes and 46 Seconds later...

Sorry for using swim! I didnt know that caused negative rep. Still a newbie to this site.

Last edited: May 19, 2014
  14. blacksparrow

blacksparrow Mercury Member

Reputation Points:
    from Canada
    I plan to do shrooms in the near future -- probably not this week but possibly next week. I already have them. I have a gram but I don't want to do that much for my first time, maybe half a gram or a third of a gram (if you think this is low, TRUST me, you don't know me). I plan to have a beer before the experience.. just to calm down.. alcohol usually helps me with any kind of bad tripping. I also have kratom on hand, and that stuff ALWAYS chills me out to the max degree.

Anyway, is 0.5 grams a good way to start shrooms? I literally JUST want the threshold effect.. that's it. I don't want to trip out on it. I am by nature very cautious of drugs. I've never been someone to go headfirst into a drug. The first time I did molly I did a half because I was scared, loved it, and then did a full dose. So that's why I am taking this approach.

blacksparrow added 3 Minutes and 0 Seconds later...

Sorry, just to add.. I guess I should tell you my reasons for wanting to do them. I don't have the best reason, but one of them is that I've been getting a lot more relaxed trips with weed. I used to freak out and get anxious, but I find I am ok now... it's making me believe that maybe some of my drug-related anxiety is going away. And I may be at a place in my life where I am ready to take that next step.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
  15. ianzombie

Reputation Points:
    42 y/o from ireland
    Sure, half a gram is fine for the first time.
    You might not feel much but it will give you an idea of what is in store.
    Of course it depends on what type of mushrooms you have, some are more potent than others. If they are Psilocybe Cubensis (which are the most often sold) then go for it.

If you have a tendency to get anxiety from cannabis then avoid it while tripping. Cannabis can greatly potentiate the effects of mushrooms.

Many people hit the wall with cannabis and no longer enjoy it due to the anxiety and paranoia it can cause. I am one of those people, i have just accepted that it is not the right drug for me.
    There is no reason to believe mushrooms will make you feel the same, they are very different.

Make sure you take them somewhere you are very comfortable and if there are other people around make sure they will not fuck around with you.

16. blacksparrow

Reputation Points:
    from Canada
    Thanks, Ian.
    I actually find I get the opposite of anxiety on cannabis now. I USED to get a lot of anxiety, but now I just feel relaxed on it. I may smoke half a bowl and maybe have a beer, then see how I feel and have the half gram. I am pretty sure they are cubensis; they were not very expensive (regular market price). They are whitish and gray.

17. Wolfkin

Wolfkin Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    You may react differently to me but I can tell you that for me mushrooms and beer don't mix very well.

I am the same as you in regard to low dosing and gradually increasing with all drugs I take so as not to be overwhelmed by the effects and potentially put off for future experiences;

Don't smoke any weed before or while tripping (even at the v.low dose you are trying) and don't drink unless you are really worried about the anxiety. If you have to drink I would recommend spirits over beer as they seem to have less of a nauseating effect for me :)

I get pretty anxious at the start of a trip and often begin to look for weed/booze to soften the blow but weed only increases my anxiety while alcohol usually makes me feel sick in the stomach and therefore start having an even more negative experience!

Hopefully you won't have much of a problem with the beer but it's worth considering before you do it :)

18. blacksparrow

Reputation Points:
    from Canada
    Hi Wolfkin,

Glad to find someone else out there like me who likes to 'ease' into it.. most of the people I know will just knock back anything, even if they don't know what it is :S

Good advice. I have decided I will not smoke pot. I have asked my fiance to bring home some vodka.. I will probably have that with diet coke or in a drink. I am worried about the anxiety.. lol.. naturally, hence why the 'easing into.' Thanks for the tips. We also have some Xanax kicking around just in case, and kratom (though I'm not sure an opiate would be the best idea here).

19. fishfish1

fishfish1 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from croatia
    Not trying to bash you or anything, but you do seem a bit overly cautious about this.
    0.5 g is around the threshold effect, and you should feel more sober on that than on cannabis.

Having alcohol, xanax and kratom just in case points to insecurity about taking the drug. Maybe it could lead you to have a bad trip. And alcohol is not guaranteed to make your trip easier, either.

Maybe you should take shrooms when you're more ready.
    Whatever you decide, you should be fine if you are going to do what you wrote. Worrying too much about it can cause exactly that - worry.

But again, everyone is different.

20. blacksparrow

Reputation Points:
    from Canada
    Hi fishfish,

It is a little late now.. well, I took a tiny bit just now. But I did kratom before so I was extremely relaxed before I did it. I may take a little bit more.

It's interesting.. I didn't necessarily intend to take them. It seems as though I am less nervous the less I plan a time to do them and obsess about doing them.