Question - First time with psychedelics what not to do, what to do

Discussion in 'Magic Mushrooms (Psilocybe & Amanita)' started by Treway, Aug 30, 2018.

1. Treway

Treway Newbie

Reputation Points:
    23 y/o from Fort Worth
    Hey, I'm new to this site and I've come here to understand what the risk is of magic mushrooms, My friend is buying some and he's coming over to my house. We plan to do in the upstairs room where we plan to eat them at night. The room is a game room with a big tv, a large sofa, and an Xbox. My parents sleep on the other side of the house and wouldn't be able to hear normal chatter or laughter, but I'm worried the trip could go bad and one of us could end up waking up everyone in the house. Although I'm not afraid of laughter i'm afraid the trip could terrify me enough to scream alert my parents. Can shrooms cause this? Also, should I smoke weed or rail Adderall with it on my first time? I haven't really used psychedelics except for 2nd plateau dxm trips but I don't think its similar with shrooms

1. 3/5,
      This type of question is asked frequently. Please take the time to browse the sticky threads at the top of the subform of LSD and Magic Mushroom. Welcome to drugs-forum, explore to forum and use the search engine and your questions will be answered.
      Aug 30, 2018
  2. Treway

Treway Newbie

Reputation Points:
    23 y/o from Fort Worth
    please I hope someone is experienced I feel comfortable in my house and with my best friend so I feel like my setting is good I don't know if there's anything else I should do, Oh yeah and another thing I also smoke cigarettes will that make the trip better or worse, also I have a football game the next morning will I be like hungover from shrooms
    --- Double Post Merged, Aug 30, 2018 ---
    not the next morning but the next night
    i remember having a weird dxm hangover that made me feel mentally foggy will shrooms be similar

3. ladywolf2012

ladywolf2012 Got diamonds in the soles of my shoes! Palladium Member Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    68 y/o from Foothills of Arizona
    Well, I would not smoke weed or use Adderall during your very first mushroom experience, unless you feel like smoking a little weed while you are coming down. My biggest immediate concern for you: do you mean that you are IN a football game the very next morning? If so, then it would be kind of dicey to do mushrooms the night before your game. You probably won't be terribly hungover, but you may feel quite tired, and you could even have some lingering wisps of interesting visuals still going on. I think your timing on this experiment may be very bad, and I would consider spacing your events further apart.

As far as screaming and waking up your parents goes, this is very unlikely, though not impossible. All mushroom trips are different for everyone who takes them. Mine have mostly been pleasant, but I have had some major stomach discomfort and stuff like that to deal with. You should not feel terrified, but it is possible that the mushrooms might lead you into some uncomfortable territory, as they usually cause you to look deeply inside yourself, and if what you see there is terrific--well, great!--but if what you see you don't like a whole lot, there can be some discomfort. But usually not enough to wake up your parents, I wouldn't think.

I would caution you against taking shrooms in the same house at the same time that your parents are there, except that the first time I tried morning glory seeds, I was 13, and was with three girlfriends. We were at one end of a tiny house and my parents at the other end--perhaps...50 feet away from us, if that, but behind curtained doors. (This was our odd summer house.) We made a heck of a lot of noise, but nothing loud enough to wake them up. They knew SOMETHING was very weird about us at breakfast, but, of course, they had no idea exactly what!

Yeah, think about rescheduling your tripping if you have to play football the next morning. But have a good time when you take the magical shrooms!

4. Treway

Treway Newbie

Reputation Points:
    23 y/o from Fort Worth
    well I'm sry for the misunderstanding I meant the next night not morning so like 20 hours after the trip thx for the tips tho I was afraid I would have a hallucination scary enough to make me scream but it seems i'm safe and I'm taking a low dose
    *another thing would alcohol be a good combo with it I feel like it could calm me down in case of a bad trip

5. ladywolf2012

ladywolf2012 Got diamonds in the soles of my shoes! Palladium Member Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    68 y/o from Foothills of Arizona
    Very quickly as I head to bed: yes, it's good to take a small dose of mushrooms to start. And maybe have some alcohol around, but don't drink it unless you really feel you need it. Better than alcohol would be one of the benzodiazepine drugs, like diazepam, lorazepam, alprazolam, etc., if you are really having a bad time of it. Alcohol would be likely to muddy your mushroom trip and make you feel kind of groggy, in my own experience.

I suggest that you stop worrying so much about having a bad trip. While bad trips do occur on mushrooms, I think they are relatively rare. The most important thing, really, is to have a trip-mate or a sitter, and it sounds like you have that arranged. If by some freak chance you do run into trouble, your trip-mate can probably help to bring you back to being okay.

6. MrCleanzo

MrCleanzo Newbie

Reputation Points:
    37 y/o from Canada
    Hey hey. I’ll chip in my two cents. I’ve been in your boots before, anxious yet excited about doing shrooms at your parent’s place. Good times lol.

Straight to business now though. There are a lot of variables when it comes to getting the most out of, and also being safe with psychedelic drugs - especially under your family’s roof. Since you said you’ll only be doing a “small dose”, you should be in the clear for most negative vibes. The higher your dose, is when you really need to be shroom smart.

Also, Some things to consider next time you ask a question like this is to give a brief description of yourself - your weight being a very important factor. I’m sure you know this already but Drugs affect everyone differently.

One thing you MUST understand when it comes to any hallucinogenic drug is that the trip WILL be a product of your setting / environment. Energy vibes that go unnoticed sober, can change your trip in an instant. Any uncertainty at all, any unsettling change, any worry, can send your trip into a downward spiral. I say this because you’re at your parent’s place and they’re gonna be home you said. That sense of worry sits deep in your subconscious, unnoticed to the sober mind. I don’t know you or your family, but from my own personal experience, my family hate drugs so I was constantly hiding drugs in an attempt to avoid scolding -(aka bad vibes).

Another thing about shrooms and psychedelics is that they’re significantly less enjoyable indoors, especially in a small room. The way these drugs twist a persons mind could possibly induce claustrophobia. The ultimate place to enjoy shrooms (I personally think) is outdoors exposed to nature on a summer day. Sometimes we don’t all have that luxury so we have to make do lol.

Another thing to keep in mind about tripping, is don’t have huge expectations or in depth plans for a trip. Expecting certain things to happen, for example hoping to see kaleidoscopic colours, will only leave you disappointed. Trips NEVER go the way you expect them to. You need to just “go with the flow” and make the best of it. That’s the nature of the drug.

Now in regards to planned activities, you may find that trying to play Xbox is near impossible while you’re tripping out lol. Trust me I’ve tried. You’ll just want to interact with your friend and the environment (thus why environment is so so important).

You’ll also want to plan to have a recovery day for yourself. If you have an important event the next day, I’d postpone the shrooms.

Like I said above, you should be fine if you’re only dropping a small dose (like <2grams) especially in the company of your friend.

I made the mistake of dropping 7.5 grams of shrooms by myself when I used to live with my parents, in my dark room while they thought I was sleeping. That was a disaster lol.

All in all, this is just some minor feedback that I wish I had before I had tried shrooms.

Safe trip and positive vibes, no matter what you decide! Cheers from Canada

7. whirlingkite

whirlingkite Newbie

Reputation Points:
    28 y/o from Boston, MA
    From what I understand, setting is important. Having a calming playlist on repeat, having a relatively clean space, having a kind trip-sitter, etc. It would also be good to have a backup plan if you're having a bad trip. I.e. taking anti-anxiety drugs or taking activated charcoal (which will flush it out of your system over time). I don't know if I'd recommend getting high with your buddy if you've never used mushrooms before, since if he started freaking out you could start freaking out too, and the effects could snowball for you both. I'm mostly going off of things I've heard.

I'd also, uh, recommend that you convey to your buddy any things you DON'T want to do while on mushrooms. I say this because my gf offered me MDMA when I was on mushrooms for the first time, and I said yes, even though I would've said yes if I were sober.

8. Zombi

Zombi The human lab rat Silver Member Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    from England, United Kingdom
    I think set and setting is important, but I realised that the set and setting slightly before and after the trip can significantly affect your next trip. If you have shit to do the next day and you trip, then your body will be tired. You still have to do things, but your body is tired because of the psychedelics and so your brain may try to reject it next time and that can lead to a bad trip.

I used to use psychedelics when I could, but I always had something to do the next day so now when I use them I usually take 2-3 days off everything. I chill before the trip, try to relax and clear my mind off problems and other things and then I do the same after the trip.

For your first trip you should have someone with you who has past psychedelic experience. Those who haven't used them will not understand your actions if you start doing anything strange or talking weirdly, and instead of helping you or making conversation they might react in a way that could trigger a bad trip. Try to stay inside, but not in one room. Maybe move around the house a bit, or go out to the garden and explore, but my point is to change setting as that can change your mindset.

Like others said, don't combine your first psychedelic with another drug especially cannabis. It should be a sacred experience, or at least a fun one and mixing with other drugs won't give you a proper idea of psychedelics. Also don't go out in public. I think only experienced trippers should go outside, because the amount of stimuli can be overwhelming (such as cars, people, loud noises coming from all sides, confuison and eventually you could trip out and lose your ego whilst in public if on a higher dose) and unexperienced people don't know how to control a trip.

Mushroom trips are generally hard to control, which is why they are best taken in a quiet setting like nature or an empty house. The body load is definitely one of the heaviest in my opinion when it comes to psychedelics, and it is best to be at home when this happens.

1. 4/5,
      This is very helpful, and well informed.
      Sep 2, 2018