Flashbacks? what causes them?

Discussion in 'Pharmacology' started by tat2dretard, Nov 15, 2004.

1. tat2dretard

tat2dretard Newbie

Reputation Points:
    yesterday i think alcohol may have casued a flashback of mine from a bad trip i had on shrooms about a few months ago? any one ever hear of this or maybe experienced this?

2. Bodhisattva500

Bodhisattva500 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    From my experience flashbacks are something made up by the media to scare people. ive never experienced one and ive done a lot of hallucinogens.In "Cant find my Way Home" by Martin Torgoff(great book!!)Alexander Shulgin explains, "in 1992 The dea hosted a meeting on lsd in San Francisco due to increased interest in the drug. Here are a few of the examples of the facts being presented:LSD is a drug so potent that just taking it once will leave residual molecules in the body, stored in the frontal lobes of the brain, and they may be there for twenty years until some trauma brings them out in flashbacks and drives a person psychotic--one of the greatest myths about it, but presented as a fact in front of the law enforcement community.This went on for two days and they dont need any statistics because these are accepted facts adn presented as such, and the academic communtiyt was stone quiet."&nbsp ;&nbsp ;

3. Bodhisattva500

Reputation Points:
    Placebo is a very potent drug as well

I once actually thought(along with scores ofother people) that ifelt the effectsof red rock opium. i found out later it was dryed tree sap.

4. P!MPJU!C3

P!MPJU!C3 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Flashbacks r real

Ive experienced them on a variety of occasions. There really clear. They give me visuels and sounds. But it may just work 4 certain people. Ive got lots of that brain shit: Deja vu's, flashbacks and luciddreams.
    I got it all. I dunno, it can be anything but i cant really point at something in particular.

5. Bodhisattva500

Reputation Points:
    Deja vu is when a situation occurs exactyly like it did the first time off in space, you just realize it for a second

6. enquirewithin

enquirewithin Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from bermuda
    Certain objects or feelings can vividly bring back to me an altered
    state, but I can get that with 'ordinary' memories too. I agree that
    flashbacks are really media/ government hype.

How is deja-vu related?

7. Dualpower

Dualpower Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Flashbacks occur naturally in people, usually relating to intense
    emotional experiences. The mechanism for their occurance in non-drug
    using people isn't well understood. In the case of people who use
    drugs, the obvious candidate for their cause is the drug itself, but it
    could just as well be that a drug created intense emotional conditions
    that foster normal flashbacks.

8. thydarkprevails

thydarkprevails Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    hmm..the other day i was in the shower, i had not yet applied soap or shampoo, and i closed my eyes, opened them, and saw thousands of bubbles floating around, i rubbed and cleared my eyes, and they were still there for about 10 seconds..they than disappeared into thin air..they did not fall or anything, they were suspended the whole time..

flashback ya think?

9. HippieD9

HippieD9 Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Here's what my old psychology prof told me about "flashbacks": they happen because of overstimulation of the brain. When all the pathways are being used, the brain creates new ones. This can take a while, and the feeling being sent through that pathway will hit you whenever it is finally finished making itself. Think of it as a car driving on a road that is still being built.

Peace,

D.

10. Undergradu8

Undergradu8 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Having never had a flashback i am in no way an expert or any such on this subject, however, my view on them is that the brain, being the infinitely powerful thing it is, stores a memory of every single thing it ever sense's, percieves etc (you get the point).

Now, part way through a trip something striking is percieved by the brain,perhaps a rapid red-blue-green light flash, or a smiley face on a crisp (potato chip for the americans) packet that blows past (it could equally be another stimulus, a certain frequency sound, or a distinctive smell etc). the brain works best at memorising things by association, and so, in the mind that trip is associated with that light flash, or packet etc,

Bad trips are often stronger in feeling and emotion that pleasant ones, and so the memory is stronger and thus more easily recalled.

later on in life, the same stimulus (light flash, packet etc) is percieved (i say percievedbecause it matters not what yoursenses detect but how your brain interprets, ie. percieves, them) and this brings back the memories of that trip in the past.

could all be billy bollocks, butit makes sense to me.

11. Alfa

Alfa Productive Insomniac Staff Member Administrator

Reputation Points:
    117 y/o from The Netherlands
    I experience this the same and it also makes pharmacological sense to me. i.e. if an event affects the brain in a simular way as it has during a psychedelic state, this may trigger the brain to react in a simular way as during the original experience. Smells, colors, taste, sounds, feelings, anything might trigger this. I find it possible to enter a state that triggers a flashback or do the opposite by going away form such states and stopping a flashback. If you can go one into it, you can go out of it as well.

12. antigenesis

antigenesis Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I read somewhere that flashbacks are Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder or whatever its called...

13. happatai

happatai Newbie

Reputation Points:
    i've definatley had flashbacks before. i remember laying down to sleep,
    i close my eyes, and 5 seconds later a crystal clear voice says my
    name, i open my eyes and stare at a blanket on the ground and watch it
    transform into various things. corpse, giant worm, octopus, mini-mt.
    everest, etc... then i snapped back into reality and went to sleep. i
    wasnt dreaming either, i was wide awake.

14. enquirewithin

enquirewithin Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from bermuda
    Is that a flashback or a new phenomenom?
    Edited by: enquirewithin

15. happatai

happatai Newbie

Reputation Points:
    pretty sure it was a flashback. i wasn't making myself think i was seeing things, i was just laying there like 'what the fuck'

16. Mezza

Mezza Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    37 y/o from U.S.A.
    Flashbacks definitely occur. I've had them when I've not wantedthem (suddenly being thrown back into the exact same state of consciousness as a bad trip from months previously), and when I have (being in club without access to MDMA, and using the lights and music to induce an MDMA roll identical in all respects to if I'd actually consumed a (fairly weak) pill).

My personal belief is that certain drugs don't actually cause trips themselves, but trigger the brain to behave in such a way as to produce it's own altered state of consciousness, which we perceive as a trip. So once the brain has done that a few times it can then 'remember'how to induce that experience without needing the initial trigger chemical to be present.

17. miffy

miffy Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Hi!

I've had them, too. When I'm completely straight, and haven't taken
    psychotropics for ages - it's a couple of years since I last tripped,
    for example.

Still, even so, I was walking down a hill one day about six months ago,
    bright, clear morning, hadn't even had a drink. . . I crossed over a
    side-street, and looked to my left to check for traffic - and the road
    to my left stretched off to infinity. Came as quite a surprise to me -
    infinity, right there, down the road.

I messed around with it for a bit. Walked down the street towards it,
    thinking 'what the hell is this' - squinting my eyes, trying to work
    out if it was a trick of the light, or something. When I got half-way
    down the street - which was one I knew, and was only about 500m long -
    infinity disappeared, and I could see the end of the road again. Turned
    back the way I'd come, and there it was, behind me.

This strange effect continued for about 10 mins. I wasn't on anything,
    as I said, not even booze. The effect was purely visual, and didn't
    include any of the confusing "I can't remember who I am!" type effects
    that sometimes come with acid.

When it was gone, I shrugged, put it down as one of those things, walked off.

18. Caliform

Caliform Gold Member

Reputation Points:

That's it. It's simply a reliving of a mental process you had in the trip that was imprinted.

19. pabel_giboon

pabel_giboon Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    113 y/o
    I agree with the idea flashbacks are "playbacks" of the brain structure when doped. That is a weir idea since it happens spontaneously, but... could thatbe achieved at will? I mean, it would be great to be tripping just at will without spending a penny and taking fewer risks, wouldn’t it? Has anybody heard of something like this?<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

20. oldman

oldman Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    flashbacks exist they just are not caused by any lingering drug matter in the brain. no drug has the capacity to stay active in the brain or body months or years later.

Tags: