1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP

Other - Former Opiate User, Current Kratom User, Pre-employment Drug Test

Discussion in 'Kratom' started by eastmad, Jan 15, 2013.

1. eastmad

eastmad Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    My friend has a problem.

He used to use opiates. Mostly poppy seed/pod tea. He hasn't used any opiates in at least 2 weeks, possibly more, so he's good to go there. He does use kratom daily. About 1/2 - 3/4 teaspoon of plain leaf, around 6 times per day. However many grams that works out to.

He's been offered the job of his dreams. They require a pre-employment drug test. Since he'll be moving out of state to take the job, and has to take the drug test IN the new state (he asked if they could take it in his state and he can't), they gave him 2 or 3 weeks to come do it.

He realizes he's probably just being paranoid but he's worried.

His questions are:

1. It's been at least 7 years since he had to take a drug test. Those were all urine tests. Are most pre-employment drug tests still urine tests? Almost all? All unless it's a high-security job (which this isn't)? He knows he's fine for opiates if it's a urine test, he's worried about a hair test.

2. He knows that in a standard drug test they don't test for mitragynine/kratom and that nothing in kratom metabolizes into an opiate. So even a false positive would be a FALSE positive. But he did read about a new urine test for kratom use. It's an article dated Sept of 2012 that says "The new test uses Liquid Chromatography-Tandem Mass Spectrometry (LC-MS/MS) technology to detect the presence of the major active alkaloids found in the Kratom leaf."

What are the odds that his new employer-to-be will use this test? Has anyone ever been tested for kratom during a standard pre-employment drug test? It isn't illegal, so he doesn't THINK they'd test for it any more than they'd test for, say, tobacco.

3. If they have, how long does it take to clear kratom? He's looked online, and can't find anything definitive regarding half life. He is addicted to kratom, since he's quit before and gotten pretty bad WDs. But he can do it if he needs to, especially since he has at least 2 weeks to do it in.

Any advice anyone could offer would really ease his mind. He thanks you all in advance.

2. PillMan

PillMan Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    27 y/o from Arkansas, U.S.A.
    I don't believe you will be tested for kratom. Did the article you read say anything about the tests already being used?

Just wait till almost the third week to take the test and try to stay clean of all illegal drugs. I'm quite positive you will be fine.

I don't know the half life of kratom but I will try to find out real quick and let you know.

Good luck.

3. eastmad

eastmad Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I'm not taking the test, my friend is. But I'll let him know what you said.

He won't use anything illegal during that time. He actually prefers kratom to "real" opiates and only uses them when he's out of kratom which won't happen during this time. Only reason it did a couple weeks ago was his mail got delayed by the holidays.

So are you saying he should stop using kratom as well, even though it wouldn't cause a false positive? Because I'm guessing he'd rather not withdraw if he doesn't have to. Everyone knows that sucks.

I did some research for him last night, and went to the Millenium Labs site (that developed the kratom urine test) and it said they were mostly marketing it for doctors and clinics that specialize in addiction medicine. So I guess it's not likely at all that they'll use it for pre-employment.

Are most pre-employment tests for jobs that aren't high security still just urine? Has anyone had blood or hair taken for a "regular" job?

4. ianzombie

ianzombie Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    42 y/o from ireland
    Its unlikely that you will be tested for any of kratoms alkaloids.
    The only worry people could actually have with kratom use is that if they are using bad vendors and buying enhanced products or extracts, that the product is being cut with something.
    Its very unlikely, but there was Krypton Kratom a few years ago that when lab tested showed it contained caffeine and O-desmethyltramadol.

5. Springtime

Springtime Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Am I missing something? If kratom is legal then wouldn't that mean:

1. that they wouldn't bother testing for it

2. that even if they did, it wouldn't show that you had done anything wrong?

Otherwise they might just as well test new employees for ginseng, nicotine, alcohol, caffeine, and so on.

I'm not claiming knowledge of drug testing in a far-away land (which your country is, to me) so if anybody knows of employers who are running tests for legal products, I'd be very interested to hear about it.

6. eastmad

eastmad Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    As far as my friend knows, he buys from reputable vendors. He always just gets plain powdered leaf. His 2 favorite vendors appear to be just individual people who sell kratom online.

What do you think the odds are that they will test hair or blood? I'm thinking that unless they suspect something, or its a high security job, it will just be urine.

I myself also work in a medical warehouse, and I know we have some 10 panel urine drug test kits around. I can snag him a couple just to ease his mind, too. He should drop clean because he told me he hasn't any opiates in at LEAST 2 weeks.

7. FenixDelta753

FenixDelta753 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    please let us know of any updates! I'm very curious as to how this story ends.

8. DiabolicScheme

DiabolicScheme Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Was tested back in November and I had no problems passing a drug test but apparently there is some stuff going around that is mixed with opioids (Ive heard the metabolite of tramadol and Ive heard methadone), make sure they are getting it from a source whose business model depends on kratom, I dont recommend sources that sell other products as well because they can sell crappy kratom and still stay in business.

Stay away from enhanced versions you never know what kind of crap they add and head shops are a bad idea to.

There are tests for kratom but I really doubt a company is going to pay for a specialized test (expensive), especially when the product is legal in most places.

9. joem597

joem597 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from Utah, U.S.A.
    I was just tested via mouth swab two months ago for my job, it tested for twelve drugs and kratom was not one of them. I have never heard of an employer giving a hair follicle test or a blood test. I usually hear about regular 5 panel urine tests so this mouth swab was a bit of a surprise. I am not an expert about this but I figured I could pass on my knowledge. I hope for the best for you, I really think you will be fine but like you said, you can always stop until the test just to have peace of mind.

10. FenixDelta753

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I passed my test just after I posted here. Buy natural kratom and you'll be fine!

11. ianzombie

ianzombie Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    42 y/o from ireland
    By natural so you mean plain leaf (crushed/powdered) and not extracts/enhanced products?

12. FenixDelta753

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    correct, But I suppose we could also say that the higher quality extracts qualify as natural because there isnt anything in them to boost their potency that is foreign to the kratom plant, only the alkaloids in higher concentrations.