1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP
    Dismiss Notice

Other - Found a bottle of unopened beer outside, is it safe to drink

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by AlwaysSunnyinMI, Jan 12, 2013.

1. AlwaysSunnyinMI

AlwaysSunnyinMI Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Well, I was outside today cleaning up around the yard and came across an unopened glass beer bottle. What surprised me that noone noticed it when mowing the lawn. The label is mostly gone and the cap on bottle is a bit rusty but readable as budweiser. What you say, is it still safe to drink?

2. MoonLitCrystal

MoonLitCrystal Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    Hmmm...I would say drink at your own risk. You never know how long the beer has been sitting there. The last thing you want to do is drink a skunked one.

3. Potter

Potter Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    open it up and smell it. if it smells fine, it's good to drink. As long as the beer isn't exposed to the air (like a cracked bottle), it shouldn't spoil and become toxic.

Then again it's Budweiser, it's not like that stuff can go badder. Why not sell it to some underage kids and go get a bottle of something nice ;-)

4. AlwaysSunnyinMI

Reputation Points:
    Ok. if if it doesn't smell funky, I'll drink it.

5. MoonLitCrystal

MoonLitCrystal Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    Let us know how it turns out. I'm curious to see if the thing was actually drinkable :beer

6. rawbeer

rawbeer Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    Just because it's not rotten don't mean it'll taste good. In my experience if any part of a beer can or bottle cap has had time to rust, it's bad. I've drank some old, old beer and it's nasty. Especially a Budweiser...why is a 33 year old even considering this, when a brand new bottle of bud should run you about $1?

I drank a rusted Busch can out of a cooler that had been in my trunk for 6 months once, it was sweet and flat and wierd. Don't know if it made me sick; I was very drunk when I had it and teh hangover was in the mail already. It's not something I would do again, even drunk.

Heavy ales tend to stand up to aging well, but there's a reason AB has always pulled there beer from shelves after it gets a few months of age...thin beers do NOT age well.

7. AlwaysSunnyinMI

Reputation Points:
    I opened it and it just didn't look right so dumped it down the sink. There was like a grayish mass of air on top that evaporated. The smell I couldn't really tell because my sniffer is bad and didn't dare taste it. Went to the store and bought fresh, cold beer off the shelf.

8. rawbeer

rawbeer Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    Yeah, even in a hermetically sealed container beer has a shelf life. It may not go toxic but it will go butt-nasty. Beer is a food product and the alcohol content is not high enough to prevent spoilage. In most beers I think 6 months is about the limit, unless you're dealing with heavier ales.

That's actually part of the reasons light, highly carbonated beer became so popular - prior to the industrial age it was hard to make and even harder to keep from spoiling so people went with heavily hopped, thick alcohol-rich beers that kept forever. Lager got popular because it was something different, and now we're seeing the backlash and a resurgence in the old beer styles.

My wife hates going down the alcohol aisle at the grocery store with me, I'll spend 10 minutes buying a 6-pack because there are so many choices. Man, life can be rough sometimes...

9. GoldGarden

GoldGarden Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    In my experience rawbeer, most beers go skunky after 4 to 5 months, however, have a shelf life of up to a year... But yes, they go butt nasty at that point :D

10. Nosferatus

Nosferatus Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    I think the more important question is why the op is even considering this, or why others are giving serious answers, consuming any food product that was found outside and that one is unsure of the origin of is something that should NEVER be done, barring some emergency. That's just common sense. All that being said, a high school friend of mine and I once drank some labatt's beer of unknown age, not sure of the age but it was in stubbies, so 80's maybe? That had sat however many summers and winters in a rickity little shed at my parents cabin, the results were pretty much what was expected, stomachs were turned, beer was sworn off for a while. The grey mass of air thing is quite vividly accurate, however, I have a defense, we were stupid kids, what's yours?

11. GoldGarden

GoldGarden Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Hey... I once had a can of coke that would have been from the 70s.... It was fine except for being flat :p

But yeah... I dunno... Some people are just curious souls Nosferatus :D

12. Tor_Hershman

Tor_Hershman Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Would you like to buy a bridge in Brooklyn???

13. GoldGarden

GoldGarden Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Tor... Yes, Yes, I would... I'd put up toll booths on that sucker and get my money back in no time.. And if they didn't like it, they could swim! Either way, win win! :D

Why, you selling one? :p

14. DaveBowman

DaveBowman Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Regarding taste, not safety: I'm no beer connoisseur, but I guess the whole idea of drinking cold beer (mandatory in commercial-industrial-big brand beer ads) is to reduce their crappy taste. The colder, the less alcohol punch in your taste buds, among other impressions in your mouth. If you decide to drink that bottle, consider drinking it very, very, very cold.

15. GoldGarden

GoldGarden Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    You left out the fact he would need to clean it thoroughly Dave Bowman... Some dog (or person) may have pissed on that bottle... You never know... Also, it was rusted... So, you don't want to be drinking rust either....

16. Nanashi

Nanashi Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    If you distill your own liquor already, it couldn't hurt to throw it in with your mash and distill out the alcohol.

17. GoldGarden

GoldGarden Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Purelyscientific,

I can't see that being a very beneficial thing to do.... He wouldn't get much benefit out of doing that, but then, he wouldn't get much benefit out of actually drinking it either...

He could always sell it on eBay... Some sucker or weirdo would buy it.... They buy some weird shit....

Tags: