Other - Friend needs help with Oxycotin please

Discussion in 'Oxycodone' started by sangman, Jun 10, 2013.

1. sangman

sangman Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    My friend asked me this question and I am unable to help him so I have turned to forum for any help i can pass on so a bit about him he is 60 years old and suffers with a great deal of pain. 6 months ago he was up to 310 mg of MST plus Oramorph for breakthrough pain. He had gradually got to this amount working up from 15mg twice a day 5years ago, in the end he had to chew them to get relief.
    He tells me that over the Last few months he has reduced his MST pills to 150mg + Oramorph
    So on to the Oxycotin he says that the doctor has prescribed him 2 x 40mg per day and 10mg Oxycodone pills for the breakthrough pain and he says they don’t work at all, he has told this to his doctor and has been told to persevere he has also been told that the oxycotin pills should do beter than the 150mg of MST he was on.
    I know his doctor and he is a male in his late 50s and can be very moody and is very suspicious of anyone seeking pain relief. anyway back to the problem, on Friday he took 4 of his 40mg oxycotin Pills removed time release coating and crushed them up he says he got a little help from them but not much he would also like a bit of a buzz. So anyway, any help on how to get the best out of his Oxycotin and Oxycodone would be of great help. On his behalf I would like to say thank you for taking time out to read this.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2017
  2. BigDiggerNick

BigDiggerNick Banned

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Maybe potentiating it? Cyclizine is a wonderful opiate potentiator and it's otc, but probably behind the counter. Look for bonine for kids.

As far as I know, the new oxycontin's are pretty unabusable due to the new op formula which is worse than the old OC and I heard carcinogenic, though I might be wrong about that.

Maybe he has to take more of the Oxycodone IR, as actually being in pain raises the "high threshold" in other words 20mg might get someone high, but if that person was in pain, it might do little for him. Talk with the doctor for a higher IR dose. Or get another doctor. Doctors should not just tell patients to persevere when they complain about a drug not working. It's almost the equivalent of saying "Get over it"

I hope this helps, and sorry about your friends situation.

3. Dimethylysergicalyblessed

Dimethylysergicalyblessed Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from gaza_strip
    Eat fatty foods before dosing.

4. scartissue_68

scartissue_68 Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    68 y/o from United States
    You're right about Cyclizine being one of the best antihistamines for opiate potentiation, but it is only available by prescription.

The OTC med called Bonine (for kids) is Meclizine. It is also an antihistamine. It is primarily used in this children's formula as an anti-motion sickness remedy. Meclizine is also used to treat symptoms of vertigo (dizziness or spinning sensation) caused by disease that affects your inner ear.

Like most antihistamines, I would assume Meclizine would make a decent opiate potentiator, although, as you pointed out by calling it "wonderful", Cyclizine seems to be the Gold Standard for antihistamines potentiating opiates.

5. BigDiggerNick

BigDiggerNick Banned

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Really? Because according to CVS drug information center, it's otc.

I don't know though. Maybe we live in different countries.

6. scartissue_68

scartissue_68 Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    68 y/o from United States
    No, we're both Americans. Seems we're both trying to help.

After about an hour of research, I want to clarify the confusion I caused over Cylizine and it OTC availability.

First: BDN is right. "Bonine for Kids" does contain Cyclizine, as it's active ingedient. Bonine for ADULTS contains Meclizine. BDN was also correct in assuming this that "Bonine for Kids" might have to be "requested" at the pharmacy counter. It can also be obtained without a prescription, from legit sites, on-line. I'm going to assume that I am not breaking the "sourcing" rules, as these answers are easily found, for an OTC drug and I did not reveal any specific source.

The kid's stuff is 25mg, big "chewables" for those considering cooking and shooting. Of course, shooting pills is never a good idea. I only want to build context for understanding this drug's effect, availability and scheduling category.

Adding to my confusion was the Drugs Forum Wiki on Cyclizine which reports "prescription only" here in the US. Another Medical Site reports Cyclizine as being Schedule 2, but not requiring a prescription. Very confusing. Schedule 2, but no prescription? I'm going to go with the DF Wiki. Cyclizine prescriptions are given to help with enhanced control of dizziness, motion sickness, nausea or vertigo or prescribed (off-label) as an opiate potentiator. It can also can trigger very real, dissociative hallucinations when taken in abusive doses.

Thanks to whomever "repped" me on this issue, but I was not, originally, entirely correct. I would not be offended if you chose to rescind your rep.

I value my reputation on the Forum and offer apologies to BDN. His suggestion to potentiate the available opiates for enhanced pain control was a solid. Cyclizine is a good way to do just that and it IS available OTC, but might be regulated, depending on where you live.

7. MadOne

MadOne Mercury Member

Reputation Points:
    from england
    im prescribed them cyclizine deffo enhances opioids. its a weird one in uk its in a cat that allows it to be sold otc but at current it has no suppliers that make it for otc sales. its against the law for a chemist to split up or sell a 100 box of cyclizine in uk because they say (pom) on the box and thus cannot be sold. next best thing is nytol or diphenhydramine apparently

MadOne added 4 Minutes and 5 Seconds later...

also 40mg of oxycontin 2 x a day is no where near the same strength as 150mg of morphine twice a day no wonder hes getting no pain releif ffs thats a major under estimate by his doc ! it shud be 80mg 2 x daily and 10mg oxynorm as required at least oxycodone is not 3 x stronger than morphine that dr is an idiot

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
  8. in.pain

in.pain Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from Canada
    OxyContin is not a medication the elderly should abuse. There is a high risk of severe complications in older patients over the age of 60 who take their medications as prescribed.
    Please make sure you associate yourself with the high risks and severe complications of Respiratory depression in older patients.
    From the Purdue site
    “Respiratory depression, including fatal cases, may occur with use of OxyContin, even when the drug has been used as recommended and not misused or abused {see Warnings and Precautions}”

Better to be safe than sorry, Moe

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2017
  9. MadOne

MadOne Mercury Member

Reputation Points:
    from england
    sounds to me like hes taking them for legitimate pain needs and not to get high off although to sum in constant pain its a bonus to have a few hours lift away from constant reality. thats the whole point of the post i thought that the coversion rate was wrong and he needs more morph or oxy. although im sure it is common when switching to a different pain killer for the prescriber not to give the full dose straight away due to varying strengths of different opiates and their oral effectiveness. like oxy it may be stronger orally than morphine in some people but im sure thats down to its higher oral bio not the strength of the opioid. morphine remains the standard by which other opiods are measured by. iv morphine is about 1.2-1.5 times stronger than iv oxycodone for most people.