From recreational use with friends to secret or solo use

Discussion in 'Cocaine addiction' started by vivian.eclipse, Dec 16, 2012.

1. vivian.eclipse

vivian.eclipse Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    A friend of mine told me the following:

They have been a recreational coke user for about 7 years. They used it probably 5 times a year to start out with. More recently (the last 2 years) this has increased to 2-3 times a month. The majority of use was with another friend, almost always linked to alcohol. They would have a few drinks on the weekend and then decide to call the dealer and share 1 or 2 grams (sound familiar?)

They are skilled professionals in their early thirties who work hard and have led what most people would consider pretty ‘normal’ and privileged lives in a first world country. They never gave it much thought. Although the red flags should have come up when the use became more regular, often (unsuccessfully) trying to hide it from other friends and partners.

Following a break-up, one of the friends recently moved back to their developing home country where coke is cheap. A break-up, moving countries and changing jobs has been pretty stressful, but if they are honest with themselves, it was probably already a problem previously. They have found that they are willing to put time and effort into taking personal safety and legal risks to buy a small quantity (1 gram) of poor quality coke from street dealers in dodgy areas. To take some by themself at home, some out with people on the weekend who do not know, or the rest at inappropriate occasions (family BBQ’s with kids around).

They don’t think the quantity, or maybe even the frequency, is an issue. Playing on their mind is the secret and solo use and the time, effort and risks they are putting into finding poor quality coke being completely disproportionate to the reward.

They know they should be worried, but their actions haven’t changed. If they are honest, they are not really worried. They are struggling to figure out if this is a manifestation of recent stress, whether it really should have been flagged as a problem earlier or whether to carry on like it is all normal?

2. swimover9000

swimover9000 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    First of all I just want to say that combining cocaine and alcohol can create a deadly toxin called Cocaethylene. As we all know, this combination is almost always the case with those who aren't aware of this damaging compound.

Next for your question, I definitely don't think he should carry on as normal. You brought up this problem in the first place so deep down somewhere you must know that it poses some problems that might damage your future.

Stress can play a large factor in one's urge to use. A lot of my friends that use (anything from weed, to lsd, to pills, even tobacco...) tend to use more during a stressed state. When we are stressed we turn to what we know is comforting. Now, ask yourself, is your enjoying being high on cocaine? Or is he just doing it to not be not high on cocaine? I'm no expert in cocaine addiction, as I've only done it a handful of times. But I think that deep down your friend wants to stop, or even slow down his usage.

3. ZenobiaSky

ZenobiaSky Queen of Zen

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Stress is always a factor in increased use, everyone deals with it differently. Most of the time, in hindsight, there are red flags we could have seen, but we didn't at the time, because it's hindsight. I'm saying your an addict... but getting the drug is part of the thrill for an addict (I know not everyone feels that way) the fact that you are willing to go to such lengths to get it... that's a red flag. The fact that you know you should be worried it, but are rationalizing it in your mind by how much and how often you use.. that's the thinking of an addict. And if you weren't really worried about it, you wouldn't be thinking about, or reaching out for advice. Maybe make an honest effort, not to get any and not use for a while, and then see how you feel. Only you will be able to make this decision. Good luck to you.

1. 4/5,
      Good advice. Must decide themselves after good faith effort to stop.
      Dec 20, 2012
  4. halo99

halo99 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    i have, in my ongoing struggle to get my addictions under control made the same observations... e.g. i have noticed that my ability to control my addictions were directly related to how much effort i was willing to put into pursuing the drug:

when i did alot of cocaine i rememeber that going to work and not bringing some blow to keep me going was simply not an option.. similarly i remember driving 20 miles away to pick up a couple bags of crappy coke... my GF was a big coke addict (still is actually) and i remember the day when her incessant nagging to get more coke didnt affect me nearly as much... i was feeling lazy and the desire to lay in bed and watch tv actually overridded my desire to go buy coke for us that night... then it got to the point where i would start keeping it at my friends house (he doesnt do any hard drugs) it was close by (2 minutes away) but i could still get it anytime and i started to get lazy about it to the point where i didnt even want to make the 2 minute drive to get it...

i still like doing it from time to time and i understand that i will always be on my guard to control it but its now at the point where i dont even care to get more when its not around even though its very easy...

so anyway to answer the question i agree that it has to do with the effort put into the habit but not necessarily on a risk-reward basis... im at the point where i can easily have it without much risk and i still dont care that much to do it... its like i am steadily just growing out of it...

5. jayna oso

jayna oso Newbie

Reputation Points:
    48 y/o from U.S.A.
    it does not matter what drug you are talking about, as soon as you start 'hiding' you drug-use, then you have a problem. coke is a terrible drug to be hooked on. best of luck to you.

6. Xanahalf

Xanahalf Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from Canada
    Cocaethylene is not a "deadly toxic". It is slightly more potent and may have higher cardio toxic effects, but there is no evidence than cardiac arrest happens any more often with the alcohol + cocaine combination than it does with cocaine alone. It is produced anytime cocaine is taken while alcohol is in the system. It is responsible for the extra euphoria created by mixing alcohol and cocaine.

Sorry i know that was off topic but the idea that mixing alcohol and cocaine "creates a deadly toxic" is very wrong.

7. bluestar

bluestar Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    There are some topics to consider when transitioning from social user to private user:

1) When you are getting high alone, it takes more drugs to get you higher than you would be if you were with a group of people.
    2) When you are getting high alone, you have more control over how much you use. This can be good or bad. It can be good because you are immune from social pressure to "do another line" if a buddy asks you but you are already in your zone. It can be bad because you are immune from social pressure telling you to "slow down" and enjoy the feeling you already have.
    3) When you are alone, the ritual of getting high can turn from ritual to routine, from routine to lifestyle, from lifestyle to addiction. It's important to be self-aware of what tolerance you have to cocaine and just how much in drugs and self-control are being wasted because of your habituation to the experience.

If you can honestly assess some of these topics, you will have greater self-awareness of your condition as a user.

1. 4/5,
      For you point #3. Very efficient explanation of the escalation of addiction.
      Dec 27, 2012
  8. scartissue_68

scartissue_68 Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    68 y/o from United States
    I could have neg-repped you, but thought it better to disabuse your misconception. Cocaethylene IS toxic campared to cocaine or alcohol taken alone. In fact the article from which this quote was taken was titled "Toxicity of Cocaethylene.

If we're both off-topic it's better to have the facts exposed, so other may avoid a tragic combination.

9. reef88

reef88 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Both Cocaine and Alcohol alone are toxic by themselves. Cocaethylene is just more toxic and harmful, it has more negative effects, specially on the heart. But it's not some deadly toxic compound that will most likely kill you. I've combined it and seen people combine them a hell of a lot of times and nothing happened (nothing we could notice at plain sight), in fact, most people I know don't do coke unless they drink because nobody likes to get too jittery and coked up. I know one person who happened to died from cocaine use, and he was a 100% coke user, it was all about coke, no alcohol.

I've heard a lot that it is a much more harmful compound though, and I guess it must be true because of the studies and such, even though I have never seen anything negative about it in my life.

10. scartissue_68

scartissue_68 Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    68 y/o from United States
    Of course you're right, but if Coke alone killed a friend (sorry for your loss), how can you argue from anecdote alone, that Cocaethylene is something that should not be treated with the most extreme respect and avoided, if possible.

I admit to being biased against all things Cocaine, so I'm less than objective. However, there is no doubt that Cocaethylene is at least 20 times more toxic than Cocaine taken alone.

11. chef123

chef123 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    To The OP. You are right to wonder about your freinds increasingly curious habits. MY friend was doing the same thing a few years ago. Starting with the occasional weekend party with friends... Eventually the drug became his only friend. and today he does it everyday. sometimes just half the day, but usually all day long. And he works full time professionally in a suit and tie, makes enough to support his habit,.. and no one knows about his secret, He doesn't even know anyone else who uses coke anymore. His friends long since growing out of the phase.

It doesn't even give him a high anymore. In fact, quite the opposite, a minute after a line, all he can think about is if he will die, and he swears he doesn't want to do this crap anymore, till 30 minutes or so later, when he thinks he needs a boost, and he tries again and the whole scene is repeated. and replayed at least 1/2 to a dozen times a day.. not too much product considering.. an 8 ball lasts him about a week.

Anyway.. I'm just saying. If you can stop now. do it. But don't be surprised if you can't. If you keep changing your mind about wanting to stop and being able to when you want. This is exactly how the little known societal "functioning" addict like my friend came to start.. And he may be the lucky ones, as some go the other way "non-" functioning way of addiction, the way most would picture a coke addict.
    Anyway.. God be with you and good luck.