Brewing - Fruit Booze

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by desolated000, May 31, 2006.

1. desolated000

desolated000 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    So to ferment something I read all you need is sugar and yeast, and that fruits are naturally fermenting.

So I have some questions about this:

-Filling a glass with fresh squeezed orange juice will ferment?
    -Does it need to be in the sun to ferment
    -What will be the end result? i.e. how potent / alcohol:juice ratio
    -Will it be editable (bearable to drink?)

Thanks, I did search but couldnt find anything this specific.

2. desolated000

desolated000 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    also how long will it take to be say.. 10 proof?... 50 proof?

(wont let me edit)

3. IHrtHalucingens

IHrtHalucingens Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o
    A simple google search provided me with this wonderful website giving you fairly detailed procedures on fermenting fruit juice.

http://www.homebrew.net/ferment/

This isnt a source, but i am linking another website, idont mena to spam or anything, im a little unclear on the rules regarding links to other websites, but there are links to erowid, an informational site, just like this one. But if this is against any rules let me know ill edit my post.

4. robin_himself

robin_himself Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from The Netherlands
    When I am making some booz... he always distallates the fruit booze and then get nice alcohol which he can use in making mix drinks. The distallation proces is very easy.

5. desolated000

desolated000 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    that info is helpful, but it is pretty complex, and cant really answer all my questions, thanks though the professional info is a good reference.

My friend said he left a cup of iced tea out in the sun for a loong time, and when they opened it it smelled strongly of alcohol, but they were not willing to try it. Will iced tea ferement?

Basically every drink has sugar, but I am confused as to which ones have yeast, and what yeast:sugar ratio is best for fermenting. Putting a peice of bread in sugar water will ferment Ive read, this website says itll make as much as 12% alcohol, if that is what it means by "bread/baking"