full plant extraction of opium possible from poppy?

Discussion in 'Opium & Poppy' started by ooah, Aug 4, 2006.

1. ooah

ooah Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I was wondering if there was any way to exstracted opium out of any other part of the plant other than the pod? how many pods does it take to make a dose? any thing helps. thanks swim have done a search for this also.

2. Forthesevenlakes

Forthesevenlakes Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    I believe that only the pods are worth extracting opium from. in fact, it is the seedpods that produce them, no other part of the plant.

plants vary by strength, so it will take different numbers of pods to make a dose, depending on the strain and such. I has heard for tea to start with 5 seedpods, but not to drink it all at once. perhaps someone with more experience in this field should back swim up here...

3. SumoCat

SumoCat Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    I recently came across an article or posting some place, can't remember where, that discussed extraction from poppy straw.

SWIM doubts the efficiency of this. It seems like more effort than its worth, possibly? But, yes, it is theoretically possible.

Also recall reading that there is *some* matter available in both stems and leaves when the plant is young, green and fresh, but I could be totally wrong about this.

Maybe someone here knows whether the latex forms within the pod only, or whether there is a transport of alkaloids throughout the body of the plant up *to* the pod, as it matures?
    -Sumo

4. cz-one

cz-one Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Theres alkaloid content in all parts of the plant. Thats why poppy grown for pharmaceuticals is made into 'concentrated poppy straw' as the narcotic can be extracted from all of it.

5. Alien Sex Fiend

Alien Sex Fiend Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from Canada
    swim was wondering if there was any way to extract opium out of any other part of the plant other than the pod?

* yes (and no) no because no it ts not worth to try other parts of the plant; its a VERY small content and one needs literally half kilos and killos of straw

how many pods does it take to make a dose?
    * it really depends on on the plant itself. if it got lot of sun and no rain in the final weeks, less. To know how many pods one needs one must know how potent their crop is; without a lab testing one wouldn't be able to tell. so its guesswork: approximately 3 to 10 large pods depending on their potency. it also depends how many cuts were laced to tear the pod.... and sometimes when pods are not removed from the plant one may bleed them for 2-3 days collecting raw