Oral use - Full Spectrum kratom tea experiment

Discussion in 'Kratom' started by nEone, Jul 28, 2008.

1. nEone

nEone Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    So - I have read a lot about making tea with Kratom. He's learned two things:

1 - Not all of Kratom's active ingredients are water-soluble. This is part of why some people find tea to be lesser than powder, particularly if they started off with T&W.

2 - Some of Kratom's active ingredients are heat-sensitive. A rolling boil can reduce the potency of Kratom - which also explains why some tea experiences may be less-than satisfactory.

With those things in mind...I am trying a two-step tea:

First step
    50g of crushed Kratom leaf soaked in 1 pint of white rum (40%) for a few days.

Strain rum and keep to the side.

Second step
    Simmer leaves in 1L of water for 20 minutes, just under a boil.
    Strain and repeat.
    Combine teas and reduce at a simmer to 1L of tea.

Discard leaf.

Combine water and rum to make 1.5L of tea that is 10% ABV...not enough for the alcohol's effects to overpower the Kratom, but enough to preserve the tea.

Add sweetner to taste.

10oz (a normal coffee cup) should be a decent full-spectrum serving.

SWIM's leaf is soaking in the rum now. He should have an update on this process by the end of the week.

2. nEone

nEone Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Re: Full Spectrum tea experiment

So

In practice - the tea experiment is a success - but there are lessons learned that will make further experimentation MORE successful. Or at least more palatable.

The resulting tea was mixed with thinly shaved ginger and a bunch of maple syrup. I didn't do a great job straining the leaves in part because he used cheesecloth and squeezing near-boiling leaves is trickier than it sounds. So the tea is...errrm....murky. It looks a lot like coffee with a splash of cream in it...opaque, golden brown. It cleared some after a day of rest...but it's not a sparkling clear tea. It could be with better filtration.

The flavor is...STRONG. I used white rum instead of vodka on a whim...and the rum flavor is very dominant...even over the bitter character of the kratom. Vodka would be better.

a coffee cup's worth is a lot to drink when the result is a murky bitter rummy mess. It's not bad...the flavor is kind of like apple cider that's been rolled in dirt. Not bad...not great...not bad.

The effects of a coffee mug-full (approx 8-10 oz) came on in about 20 min...not any faster than with Toss N Wash. They laster for longer but were markedly stronger at about the hour through the two hour marks. The lingering effects were present for a good 5 hours.

A second attempt was made the following day - post-meal. And the effects were noticeably reduced. Much more so than with Toss-N-Wash after a meal.

All in all - this was a good experiment and it's nice to have the tea on hand and preserved by the booze to allow the tea to hang around for longer than a week.

That said, the tea isn't delicious and the result isn't cost effective enough to make crushed leaf-tea the method of choice based on cost alone.

I went out and bought a vitamin capsule maker and put together a round of 000 size capsules. Even with lots of tamping and compacting...each capsule weighs out to 1g....meaning that he's going to have to eat 7 or 8 of these things to match a tablespoon of toss n wash. More subtle for public consumption, for sure...but still a pain in the ass.

3. Panacee

Panacee Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from The Netherlands

Swim thinks his method also might be classified as a full-spectrum tea. But it seems to him to be less work.

>2 hours after his meal (empty stomach), Swim starts of with T&W 5-10g of powder, within an hour he takes fresh tea of >15g. After a few hours he takes a few doses of 15X extract.

I am convinced he is ingesting all the possible alkaloids this way.

4. nEone

nEone Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

Holy shit, that's a LOT of Kratom. A normal strong dose for I am 10g - You is TRIPLING that and then some.

SWIM experimented with the gel caps this morning - he took four of the 000 caps that had been well packed...they weigh out at ~1G a piece. That should be a light threshold dose, which, for first thing in the morning, is really fine...particularly since light doses tend to be more energetic.

SWIM gulped them down with a cup of coffee around 8am - hoping that would aid in dissolving the gel caps. He walked to work and by the time he got there (15min) and settled into his desk, he felt it coming on.

It seemed to last a little longer - he still felt the effects lingering around 1pm when he went to get lunch. His guess is that the caps slowed down the release...and the process of packing the caps compressed the powder, making it release into his system a little more slowly than loose powder.

5. Panacee

Panacee Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from The Netherlands

I know. I have some worries about that. But I has read about people ingesting daily up to 50g. I don't use daily. Althoug he has developed a tolerance.

In the beginning I was getting noxious from 15g, he had to throw up. His nose and back was itching like hell. Now even 35g doesn't make him sick. The itching is almost gone. Also the hangover next day is less.

I had a bad MJ-habit and was using X regularly. I find Kratom to be a good replacement for both. I feel better than ever. His insomnia is cured, so I think he is adding to his health.

Why You takes Kratom in the morning and go to work? Don't You spoil the experience? When I had my triple-of-You dose he doesn't have the urge to go to work, people will certainly notice. Swim thinks taking 5g is just not enough to get a full spectrum experience. May be the concentration of some alkaloids is too low.

6. nEone

nEone Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

I amn't all that into pushing the upper limits of Kratom...it seems like beyond a certain point, the results are nausea and vomiting, and general discomfort....Not sure what the benefit of that would be.

SWIM works a pretty high-pressure desk job...lot's of screaming people and repetitive tasks. A low-dose of Kratom takes the edge off - too strong and it reduces his ability to multi-task - but at the 5g mark, it's more like a cup of coffee that chills him out.

When he's home and wanting to really enjoy it - then he bumps it up to 8-10g and rides the waves in comfort.

7. Stephenwolf

Stephenwolf Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from Canada

The "stories" i've read must have been of real lightweights... at about a tablespoon of material (i know not the best way to measure a dose) its always work.. Usually would put it in with their coffee grounds when making coffee...its always worked very very well. ...tastes like an espresso shot is added..