1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP

Combinations - Gabapentin+Tramadol

Discussion in 'Drug combinations' started by Lehendakari, Apr 21, 2007.

1. Lehendakari

Lehendakari Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from spain
    I have been taking gabapentin when going out and found it fun when combined with alcohol and ritalin.

He's also been taking tramadol in low doses (alone) and found it a great pro-social drug, so he's going to add tram to the equation above anybody knows possible interactions??

I know it's a potential dangerius combo but I am going to use very low amounts of every drug. He usually does:

t+0: 2000-2400 mg Gabapentin
    t+2-3 h: 3-5 drinks
    t+5h: 20-40 mg Methylphenidate

He found no problems with this combo and wants to boos it a bit with 150 mg tramadol.

2. Nicaine

Nicaine Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from Rhode Island, U.S.A.
    IMO the greatest risk of interaction is between Tramadol and Ritalin... I wouldn't take both at once, as both have stimulant qualities. Gabapentin interacts with very little, so it's often fairly safe to mix with stuff (not always).

3. Lehendakari

Lehendakari Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from spain

I tried yesterday. He doesn't recommend it, in fact he thinks tramadol diminished somewhat ritalin euphoria. Tramadol didn't add any interesting properties to the original combo, so I will stick with GBP+MPH+Booze pretty euphoric and no side effects.

4. nanobrain

nanobrain Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    from Australia
    tramadol will also lower your seizure threshold, coupled w/amphetamines this does not bode well. good choice to leave out tramadol from future experiments.

5. static_vodka_420

static_vodka_420 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I say go with a lower dosage of methylphenidate than normal too lessen the risk of siezures.. he says when he combines these substances he gets a tignll light headed feeling all over, complete loss of social anxiety, alcohol potentiation, mild opiate euphoria, and plesant mental and physical stimulation.. he thinks the gabapentin takes the edge off of the tramadol and methylpgenidate

6. Leet_Dood

Leet_Dood Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from american_samoa
    Tramadol and methylphenidate is a very dangerous combination.

Expect seizures.

7. veritas.socal

veritas.socal Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    75 y/o from California, U.S.A.
    at least there is one that can answer this question, as my alien is RX'ed both gabapentin and tramadol.

yes, the gabapentin will potentiate the trams
    no, the alien notices no side effects, other than up all night when these plus coffee is taken

he takes 5-8 of the 50mg trams, and normally just around a gram of gabapentin...like900-1200mg9in 300 mg capsules)
    fuck the alcohol or amphetamines...the alien says alcohol puts him in the bed...a good thing when pain gets too bad

this dosage helps a bit w pain, esp when combined w copious amounts of indica

8. pobin21

pobin21 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    26 y/o from Arizona, U.S.A.
    i take this sometimes, not bad but nothing overly special about it.

9. Ayuvuz

Ayuvuz Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o from U.S.A.
    My cat was prescribed both Tramadol and Gabapentin for chronic pain, anxiety, and depression (Gabapentin has mild mood stabilizing effects and helps with nerve pain, Tramadol has an SNRI/SSRI effect and hits a few opiate receptors). He has since stopped using both drugs.

The combination of Tramadol and Gabapentin alone is actually pretty safe, as Tramadol lowers the seizure threshold, and Gabapentin raises it. However, the amount of Gabapentin you're taking has a reasonable chance of causing deafness/tinnitus that may or may not be temporary, as it is considered ototoxic (toxic to the ear).

Now, since Gabapentin raises the seizure threshold, it has probably kept you from having any neurological issues. Ritalin and Alcohol BOTH lower the seizure threshold, add some Tramadol to that - especially anything over 50mg - and you're potentially negating Gabapentins threshold raising effects and putting yourself at risk for an "absence" or petite mal seizure in the least. Worst case could be a tonic-clonic seizure, which can kill you.

As a side note, Gabapentin by itself (no alcohol or anything else combined with it) is almost impossible to overdose on and its CNS depression is extremely negligible, just keep your doses under 2 grams and watch out for tinnitus.

My cat has had a lot of fun combining drugs, but please be safe doing so.
    I would post links to support all of this, but there is a 50-post minimum before links can be posted. Google searches will net you the studies supporting any of the above info.