Opinions - GABA's effectiveness?

Discussion in 'Downers and sleeping pills' started by psyche, Jul 16, 2006.

1. psyche

psyche Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o from finland
    This has to be dumb question, but let's hear it: Are GABA pills effective, because I just read from a book that GABA doesn't penetrate BBB and GABA levels cannot be increased by consumption.

2. adzket

adzket R.I.P. Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    37 y/o from U.K.
    i ant answer you spersific ? but i would sugest looking into GABA recepters and how it is used within the brain ect. i know that benzo's can effect the amount of GABA produced ect but not much more.

3. psyche

psyche Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o from finland
    Yes, I was just reading a section about GABA in a book The Biochemical basis of Neuropharmacology, and that book stated that GABA doesn't penetrate the barrier between blood circulation and brain, so it doesn't get to brain if it's eaten. But still there are GABA pills on market. Are they inefficient or what's up with that?

4. adzket

Reputation Points:
    37 y/o from U.K.
  5. psyche

psyche Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o from finland
    Well thanks for efforts, but I don't see how's that helping when I have a book with much more info but it's conflicting with the fact that they are selling GABA pills. Wiki article too states that "In 2005, some homeopathic pharmacutical companies started producing and selling various formulas containing gamma-aminobutyric acid itself, in herbal sleep aids[4] and as an anxiety remedy[5]." It still doesn't make any sense. Is there an error in this book or what?

6. adzket

Reputation Points:
    37 y/o from U.K.
    like i say dont know much about it thought link might of helped but do they maybe have another use for gaba if it does not travel the blood brain barria? if not i cant think then what the point would be maybe just marketing ploy. sorry can't be of more help but not my field realy.

7. Forthesevenlakes

Forthesevenlakes Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    psyche: I have read the same thing. apparently under normal circumstances GABA does not cross the blood brain barrier very well (if at all). if it were in an oil soluble form, or was coupled with certain other drugs, there is the chance that more of it could be made available to the brain if taken orally. One site even claims that the combination of GABA and vitamin B could work. I would believe the textbook over the multitudes of advertisements he is seeing suggesting that it might, under the right circumstances, cross into the brain. The jury may still be out, but I am inclined to believe that GABA supplements are a waste of time and money.

8. Sloop

Sloop Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from solomon_islands
    Have any of you ever taken 3 grams of gabba on an empty stomach

they say it doesnt cross the blood brain barrier but after 10-15 mins I have a minute or two when it seems to effect my breathing, it is subtle but happens every time so far, there is a definite shortness of breath and it goes and after that there may be a very mild but calmer feeling however this later effect is more questionable and potentially placebo. the breathing effect is not placebo, but slightly unpleasant yet very transient.

I think something must cross into the brain to effect your breathing in this way? perhaps to the hypothalmus or whatever controls breath in the brain

cheap but definitely no match to decent Kava Kava or even the mildest benzo though

9. snapper

snapper Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    GABA does not cross the BBB. If it did, it would have the effect of GHB, which is aminated in the brain to GABA. the effects you experience are peripheral since GABA can act outside of the CNS (your lungs are outside of your CNS). It can also give you this annoying tingling feeling in your mouth if you take too much at once. Some people may have leakier BBBs and may get some translocation, but overall it's a bust for getting those good GHB like effects.
    bodybuilders use GABA to boost GH - seems it still does that, though you have to wonder how it gets to the pituitary. Probably has access to that...

Snapper

10. rodent

rodent Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    GABA may not cross the BBB but look into beta-phenyl GABA (aka phenibut ;))

As always, be careful!

11. fiveleggedrat

fiveleggedrat Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I took large doses (4+grams) of GABA and experienced very undesirable feelings of worry and near panic, similar to a bad caffeine/niacin overdose.

Swim says no recreational value.

12. spatchcock86

spatchcock86 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from Florida, U.S.A.
    GABA definitely does something. You feel as if you're unable to catch your breath and get tingles in the tips of your fingers. This only lasts for about 1-5 mins though, and then, well, nothing really.