1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP

Gastrointestinal Issues(constant bloating) more than 6 weeks after quitting opiates

Discussion in 'Opiate & Opioid addiction' started by GP60, Nov 26, 2016.

1. GP60

GP60 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Hello. Hope all of you had a Happy Thanksgiving yesterday and none of you got trampled at Walmart today!

I was wondering if someone can shed some light on this for me, either from personal experience or general knowledge. Today is my 45th day off opiates. I was using poppy seed tea for a year and in the past used to take very large doses( and I mean VERY large) of tramadol for almost 3 years and occasionally, in between, very large doses of loperemide to hold me over. Since, on me at least, these substances had a long effect, My uses of these were never daily. On average once every 3 days, sometimes once every other day and sometimes once every 4th.

Well, for the most part I'm doing much better, however sometimes I do experience some PAWS symptoms. The usual suspects, depression, insomnia, fatigue, etc. Surprisingly, and I'm grateful for this, no real big cravings.

But I am experiencing constant and pretty consistent bloating. My stomach is always distended. I'd say anywhere from mild but usually moderate distension. Nothing as bad as some of the pictures you see of people with cirrhosis or anything like that. But it is noticeable, in feel and appearance. I noticed this about a week into withdrawal. I don't know whether it was there before and I didn't notice it or maybe because I was throwing up and crapping every hour it wasn't noticeable and came up after that settled down. No real accompanying pain, just a feeling of uncomfortableness and fullness. Sometimes I do get a moderately intense pain when I sneeze, but that lasts usually 2-5 seconds and often has to do with how I am positioned( no pain when sitting straight and sneezing, but it's there when I'm laid back in my recliner) Sometimes if I don't drink or eat anything for a while it will go down a bit, but as soon as I have even a modest meal it's back.

The only other symptom I'm experiencing is inconsistent bowel movements. Sometimes I'll have diarrhea, sometimes I'll be a bit constipated. Never an extreme version of either, not like the diarrhea you get the first few days of withdrawal or the constipation you get after a large opiate dose, especially lope. And often it feels... incomplete. Like more should come out, but it's totally not. I'm sorry if I'm being a bit gross, I jut want to be detailed. And a few times I had floating stools. Not that I regularly check, but I noticed that once and immediately thought "I don't think I've ever seen that before"

So yeah, that's what I'm going through. I guess I'm wondering if this is at least somewhat normal at this stage. I have read a lot about PAWS in the last month and a half, both on this fine board and other sources. And I never really came across this being described as a symptom of PAWS. I did come across a couple of pages that listed "gastrointestinal issues" as a symptom of PAWS but that's literally it. No elaboration. Gastrointestinal issues could mean everything from being a little gassy to pancreatic cancer.

I'm worried that perhaps I did some damage with my foolishness. Now, the substances I took did not contain any Tylenol in them. I know that can cause liver and other gastro issues. But still, even without that I'm sure large doses of tramadol, loperamide, and poppy seed tea cannot be good for the insides. There were a few instances where I took Vicodin or Codeine with Tylenol, however these were very rare and even then the Tylenol content was less than 3 grams, which on a rare occasion should not be a huge issue for someone my height and size. But again, that was maybe a total of 4-5 times in the last 4 years, usually if I had a root canal or wisdom tooth extraction and the dentist gave me some.

In case anyone is wondering, since quitting opiates I have not taken any illegal or prescription substance that could potentially cause this as a side effect. I've taken Phenibut to help with the withdrawals, but I started that after the bloating became apparent and haven't taken any in 3 weeks. I take Magnesium, Calcium and Potassium for energy. And I rotate Benadryl, doxylamine, and Valerian Root for sleep. But those started well after the bloating began since they just made the RLS from withdrawals worse.

So I'm just looking for some advice and information on this and whether this can be a somewhat normal symptom of PAWS or whether it's more serious. Obviously going to the doctor is the best thing, however as I mentioned in another thread I am unemployed( because of my opiate use) and uninsured. If it persists and especially if it gets worse I will go to the Emergency Room, but for now I'm just trying to get some information on what could be causing this and whether it's normal. Thanks for reading.

2. ladywolf2012

ladywolf2012 Got diamonds in the soles of my shoes! Palladium Member Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    67 y/o from Foothills of Arizona
    Re: Gastrointestinal Issues(constant bloating) more than 6 weeks after quitting opiat

I'm probably the one who suggested that you go see a doctor ASAP, even though you don't have insurance. I'm not crazy about all doctors, but we here really aren't equipped--not most of us--to diagnose physical ailments. I know that I have never had anything like you describe after I have quit opiates or opioids. In fact, my stomach tends to calm down a lot instead of acting up.

I do think that you need to see a doctor, both to get more information and to ease your troubled mind. I know that you don't have insurance, but as I suggested before, you know that the ER has to treat you, insurance or not. I would maybe wait until you are having an "attack" and go in then so you can describe your symptoms accurately.

Good luck and get well!

3. GP60

GP60 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Re: Gastrointestinal Issues(constant bloating) more than 6 weeks after quitting opiat

I think you're mistaking me for someone else. I've never previously discussed these bloating issues before, at least at length. And as a German Shepherd lover, I would have remembered an interaction with a winking wolf ;)

But don't misunderstand. I'm not trying to use this forum as replacement for potentially necessary medical attention. What I was looking for is knowledgeable opinions and personal experiences in case this is something that is normal. Maybe not normal, but at least something that is experienced by some people. Most people only have diarrhea for a few days to a week during opiate withdrawal. But I spoke to a person who was very helpful that said she was still experiencing it a month after stopping. Not every experience is the same and maybe someone has shared mine and can help. When you use opiates for years and are constantly constipated followed by a week of vomiting bile and bi-hourly diarrhea, that probably takes it's toll. Maybe that causes some sort of swelling or inflammation that causes bloating and will eventually go down. I really have no clue, that's why I'm asking. Perhaps there's an OTC solution. This forum has a lot of smart people and great info and I'm hoping I can get some information before I do go to a doctor or hospital, especially since, like I said, there really is almost no actual pain involved.

I once had a two week hospital stay without insurance, about a decade ago. I had a medical emergency and spent 2 and a half weeks there. the hospital bill itself was around $150,000, which was covered by a government program. But that's just for the bed, meds, etc. Any individual test, procedure, doctor consultation, they send you a separate bill. EKG, X-Ray, endoscopy, even Anesthesia for the endoscopy. If a doctor stops by your room and says hello and talks to you for 5 minutes, you can expect a $300 bill in the mail. I'd hate to go down that route again and ruin my credit again after building it back up before trying to find out some more info. Maybe there's a specific yet simple OTC solution? How much would that suck? I go to the hospital and get all those bills when it turns out that maybe a trip to Walgreens or a change in diet or some patience would have done the trick. So that's all, I'm just looking for more information and advice and other peoples experiences before I do actually go to the hospital again and go through that.

And thank you for the advice, well wishes, and kind words

4. cren

cren Titanium Member Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth

I have had some issues recently that opiates can make worse. I am not trying to give medical advise just speak from experience. I am currently being treated for sepsis.

Sometimes when you get constipated from opiate use you can not get rid of it all in withdrawal (I know its gross)

It can cause inflamation infection and sepsis. I am not trying to be alarmist or make you panic. You have to be extremely unlucky if that happens, but part of recovery is taking care of your mental and physical health so that you can avoid any cracks in your sobriety.

Opiates could of also masked the pain of any symptoms of an underlying condition however it sounds like you doubt this is the case but seeing a doctor would also give you reassurance of this.

Any stomach condition needs to be seen by a doctor for a diagnosis.

5. perro-salchicha614

perro-salchicha614 Pepperoni Addict Titanium Member Sponsor

Reputation Points:
    36 y/o from Headache City

I haven't had problems with bloating since quitting PST, but I think the inconsistent BMs are pretty normal. It's been a couple of months since I quit, and I'm still having the same problem. Although, to be fair, they were never quite right even before I got addicted to the tea. That was one of the reasons I gave myself "permission" to use it...

Do you have a low cost clinic in your area? The doctor my parents go to has people pay on a sliding scale based on income. They often get a portion of their bill written off. That might be something for you to look into.

6. iggy1234

iggy1234 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

Check out Irritable Bowel Syndrome.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2016
  7. Illdan

Illdan Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

You beat me to the punch.

From what you're describing, IBS sounds like a probable culprit. You may have just had it already and suppressed it with you're opiate use. The bloating, incomplete feeling bowel movements, all common symptoms of IBS.

Pay attention to the stress triggers in you're life to see if it gets worse when you have stuff on you're mind. Dealing with withdrawal is a naturally stressful experience so it only makes sense for it to be acting up now.

Again though, like everyone else here, I'm no doctor so take what I say with a grain of salt.

8. GP60

GP60 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

I have considered IBS as a possibility. When people are in my position, they all do the same thing: Try to Diagnose themselves. Hell, I have the internet and I saw a few episodes of ER, how hard can it be? But what I read almost everywhere about IBS is that it generally presents itself in 1-2 day "attacks". For me, other than the periodic changes in bowel movements, the symptoms have been consisted. For over a month now, the bloating has been pretty much the same. It's always there and is pretty consistent, rarely much better and rarely much worse. Even the inconsistent bowel movements have been somewhat consistent. That sounds weird and contradictory, but what I mean is it's only a mild version of each. Mild constipation or mild diarrhea, not the type of constipation you get after a large opiate dose or the kind of diarrhea you get during acute withdrawal. But I have considered this and maybe will try some probiotics that have apparently been successful

I hope it's not that though. I would much rather it be a more serious acute condition than IBS. Cause there's no cure for that. That's just something you have now. Just another thing to deal with during my long, crappy, hopefully opiate free life.

Also, that might not be something they are able to diagnose during an ER trip. They generally run all their tests and tend to focus on medical emergencies and clear cut test based diagnosis. IBS is a symptom based diagnose that usually takes a few doctor visits.

9. Beenthere2Hippie

Beenthere2Hippie The Constant Optimist Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

Hi GP60- I'm not sure of your age (which can be relevant to what you condition may actually be), but have you considered gallbladder?

http://www.everydayhealth.com/gallbladder/guide/symptoms/

If it is gallbladder, you will need a doctor to diagnose and treat it; it will not subside on its own. Good luck with this.

10. Illdan

Illdan Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

Although there's no cure for IBS, the symptoms can be easily managed through diet and stress reduction.

Also, a flare up from IBS can last much longer than a day or two. When I finally went to the ER due to bloating and pains in my side the symptoms persisted for almost a month leading up to my diagnosis. I thought that I had a hernia or something because of how long the pain persisted.

If you went to the ER about this they won't be able to give you a definitive answer, but they can easily rule out most other causes with a simple UI and other test. After my initial visit to the ER they set me up with a gastroenterologist who confirmed the ER's suspicion in no time.

I think if it's only IBS that that would be a good thing. Why would you prefer for it to be something that's potentially life threatening? Just so you can throw a pill at it instead of making some lifestyle changes. It's your life, but that kind of logic just sounds a little crazy to me.

11. ladywolf2012

ladywolf2012 Got diamonds in the soles of my shoes! Palladium Member Donating Member

Reputation Points:

Well, I've had IBS most of my life, and it is very debilitating. There is very little that can be done to help it medically, athough changes in stress levels, diet, exercise, etc. can make some difference. Mine comes and goes, though it is never really gone: it just subsides for a little while and becomes less uncomfortable. My bathroom trip are totally unpredictable and erratic, and it can be set off by eating a piece of plain chicken or some yogurt. It's pretty awful. The worst is when I get a nervous pain in the middle of my stomach and wonder if my old-time ulcer is coming back?

So I'm with you, GP60--I would rather have something acute that could be cured than something that is virtually uncurable and sometimes indetectable. I have had to just learn to live with my symptoms and never be too far from a bathroom (or a wide tree in the woods...)

Yes, do check into low cost clinics in your area. There might even be a free clinic in your area--have you inquired? Remember, county clinics have an obligation to treat you too, like the ER, at least they do in my state, and they are way cheaper.

Here's something I have been doing my whole life when the IBS kicked up: I have gone on a diet of pretty much brown rice only, with maybe fruit/veggie juice on the side. The brown rice, which I eat with a little soy sauce, butter, and garlic, allows my whole system to calm down. White rice will do in a pinch. It might be worth a try for a couple of days...

Oh, best of luck to you. By the way, most of these stomach problems went away when I was on opiates regularly. It is only when I am not (like now) that they are really flaring up. I know that just 10 mg. of hydrocodone would cause my current stomach pain to subside almost instantly, but I have none and would not take it now anyway.

12. Illdan

Illdan Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

^^ LadyWolf, changes in diet and stress levels can pretty much make the condition non existent, so I'd have to disagree with you when you say it's virtually incurable.

IBS is a condition that's brought on by the mind. Any condition that can be manifested due to our own thoughts is easily controllable if the person suffering has a little bit of knowledge and discipline.

I was diagnosed with it about ten years ago and for me it's never been that serious. Some simple changes in diet, along with meditation and exercise can work wonders for these so called 'incurable' conditions.

Plus we really don't have many cures for anything. Western medicine is (and has always been) in the business of symptom control rather than actual cures. There's no money to be made in keeping people healthy and teaching people how to take responsibility for their
    own health.

13. scartissue_68

scartissue_68 Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    67 y/o from United States

This sounds as though your prejudice has been fueled by misinformation usually fomented by politicians trying to save the world from "Evil" drug companies. (Cough, cough...Bernie Sanders) FACT: Many diseases that have killed millions have since been cured by vaccine or drug therapies. Smallpox, Polio, Measles, Yellow Fever, Malaria, Typhoid Fever, Whooping cough, Pneumococcal disease. Modern Pharma is also close to cures in HIV/AIDS and Tuberculosis. Also, Many cancers that were once a death sentence are now curable.

Sorry for going off-topic, but this idea of drug companies trying to keep us all medicated rather than working toward cures is absurd. The people who work in Pharmaceutical Companies have families and friends, just as we all do.

Now, back on-topic. At the OP: You did say that you had some symptoms before starting PST and other opiates. So, the IBS diagnosis is indeed a potential cause of your symptoms. IBS is a disease within the category of Inflammatory Bowel Disease which includes Ulcerative Colitis and Crohn's disease.

Despite what some have said, most of the IB Diseases cannot be cured...only kept under control. I've seen direct to consumer TV advertising for a new drugs call Linzess (which promises enhanced relief of Irritable Bowel Syndrome with Constipation or Chronic Idiopathic Constipation.)

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but a doctor's diagnosis will probably requires at least a colonoscopy and probably and MRI. Very expensive tests, but they are both out-patient oriented, so no hospital fees (unless surgery is required) to cause extra worry for finances. If Linzess is indicated, it is proprietary and will also be expensive. Check "GOOD RX" website for discount coupons.

Here's the good news. I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease 34 years ago (good news follows) and it was blamed on stress of returning to work after 7 months off due to extreme injuries. The symptoms were brought under control and never returned. About 5 years later, while having an emergency laparotomy, the surgeon said he saw no evidence of Crohn's. I have no idea how this just went away. All these IBD's list stress a part of a causality.

Obamacare allows insurance for per-existing conditions. Trump is on record, saying, "he wants to continue this type of coverage". You should figure how to get onto an ACA insurance plan. Diagnostics, doctor visits and tests will be expensive. Try to get your tests done at a private facility. Do not go into an ER setting...your bills will skyrocket.

Best of luck.

14. Illdan

Illdan Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

Scartissue please don't insult my intelligence by claiming that I'm naive enough to have been the victim of some politician's political propaganda. I'm the kind of person who think's for themselves and comes to conclusions based off of my own knowledge and investigations.

It really doesn't take much to see the corruption within the medical community nowadays.

If pharmaceuticals were the answer to solving the riddle of 'good health' then America would be kicking ass. We make up 5% of the worlds population but consume around half the worlds pharmaceuticals. We also consume 80% of the worlds opiates according to CBS. That in itself should be enough evidence to prove that too much emphasis is placed on 'pills' rather than alternative and preventive techniques.

In 2014 'Pfizer' (a pharmaceutical company) lobbied over 77 million dollars in Washington. Do you think they just throw this much money at politicians for the hell of it? Do you think that they don't expect something in return once their man(or woman) gets in office? For what other reason would they do this other than to flood the market with more of their product? Just look at the skyrocketing prices of some drugs as of late because of these 'EVIL' little shithead CEO's like Martin Shkreli. No, he's not the byproduct of an unethical, greed driving system. Not at all.

I just read in 'the guardian' that big pharma has spent almost one billion dollars during the past nine years to fight against setting limits on opiate prescribing. Never mind the insane amounts of many spent on fighting and discrediting the benefits of marijuana. Does this sound like a system that puts the good health of human beings before all things?

And to make the argument that because the people who work for these companies have families that that somehow makes them immune to corruption and greed is absurd. What about the CEO of a big tobacco company? Or even Pablo Escobar for that matter? Both of whom I'm sure had kids, but had no problem profiting off the deaths of other human beings.

The truth is that 'big pharma' has a stranglehold on not only this countries politicians, but it's own citizens as well.

Sorry to derail this thread yet again. This is just something that I'm passionate about and have zero patience for people who make such broad generalizations about me based on a single post on a message board.

15. GP60

GP60 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

Hello to you as well and thanks for the suggestion. However if it is my gallbladder that's the culprit, then I think I might have a nice lawsuit on my hands against my surgeon :) I actually don't have a gallbladder. About 10 years ago I had very serious pancreatitis that almost killed me. The fact that it almost killed me is my fault since I had symptoms for more than 2 weeks before it got unbelievably unbearable and was taken to the ER by ambulance. You know how it is? "I'm fine, it's just a stomach ache, it will go away!" It way didn't. I was in the hospital two and a half weeks. The culprit was gallstones and since I was at risk of it happening again, decided to have it taken out. So the gallbladder is definitely one thing I can rule out

@Illdan I'm glad that your symptoms can be managed to near non existence with some lifestyle adjustments. From what I understand, that unfortunately isn't the case for many people with IBS. I personally know someone who has adjusted their eating habits and made other lifestyle changes and makes regular doctor visits yet sees only mild relief of the gastro symptoms and almost no relief of the Chronic Fatigue Syndrome that developed as a result of IBS. The symptoms of IBS are not universal and everyone has different experiences, from more mild to debilitating. So if some lifestyle changes did the trick for you, I'm genuinely glad. But it's a mistake to assume everyone is as lucky as you. And frankly, and I sincerely mean no offense by this, it's a little rude and arrogant to say "I disagree" and that symptoms can almost fully be managed to someone that has had the disease for most of her life.

And to your other point. Let's pretend for a second that IBS symptoms and experiences were the same for everyone and everyone had the same manageable experience as you. that isn't the case... but let's say it is. Even in that scenario, I think I still would go with a acute condition that's a bit more serious than IBS, given the choice. I like my lifestyle. I like what I eat and how I live. If I had to choose between making significant lifestyle choices for the rest of my life to avoid IBS symptoms or having a more serious but acute condition that will go away after a few days or a week of treatment... well, I'm still going with the latter. That's just me

And one more thing. I also have another symptom that I didn't mention: heartburn. Moderate and uncomfortable heartburn somewhat frequently. And not like I did before, where I would get it very occasionally after eating very spicy foods or something very acidic on an empty stomach. Now I've been getting it after like half a glass of Cranberry Juice. Never happened before like this. Is that something that happens with IBS, or maybe that's a sign of something else, maybe something like gastritis?

Anyway, thank you to everyone that responded so far. I will likely seek medical treatment within 7-10 days, but I am hoping to get more information before that. Who knows, maybe this is something that can be fixed with a simple and safe OTC solution. I really want to get as much info as I can before the cultures start sending me a bill for everything.

16. perro-salchicha614

perro-salchicha614 Pepperoni Addict Titanium Member Sponsor

Reputation Points:
    36 y/o from Headache City

GP, I'm having the same issue with acid reflux/heartburn. I always had it for as long as I could remember, and the tea seemed to quell it, so of course it came back with a vengeance after I quit. In an earlier era, doctors would probably have just given both of us opium (since they didn't have medications for specific conditions) and considered it a successful treatment. But anyway, I'm glad to hear you'll be getting treatment for your medical issues. Please keep us posted on how you're doing. :)

17. ladywolf2012

Reputation Points:

Sorry, I don't see a button for quoting directly...Please instruct me!

A previous poster said in response to my post, "^^ LadyWolf, changes in diet and stress levels can pretty much make the condition non existent, so I'd have to disagree with you when you say it's virtually incurable. IBS is a condition that's brought on by the mind. Any condition that can be manifested due to our own thoughts is easily controllable if the person suffering has a little bit of knowledge and discipline. I was diagnosed with it about ten years ago and for me it's never been that serious."

I feel as if my own intelligence has been insulted. I don't want to go too far off-track from the original poster's issues...but just for a moment. Your experience has been your experience and mine has been mine. I have not experienced IBS to be brought on "entirely by the mind," as there have been many times when I was all dressed up and ready to go out to a gathering I was really looking forward to when my IBS suddenly sidelined me into my bathroom, where I proceeded to spent the rest of the evening. Interestingly, I was in a Somatic Psychology Studies graduate school program at the time, studying the brain/body connection every day.

So please don't make unequivocal statements about the causes of, the experience of, and the healing of IBS. What you know is what IBS has been like for you...but not for me.

My IBS has involved a lot of acid reflux/heartburn, as you are experiencing yourself OP--particularly in my later years. (I developed a duodenal ulcer in my forties that has never entirely gone away and no, it cannot be cured with antibiotics, as it is not a bacterial ulcer.) IBS can encompass the entire food intake to food elimination tracts, and everything in between.

In order to try to determine what is going on as exactly at possible, your doctors will probably want to do an endoscopy, a colonoscopy, and perhaps other relevant procedures. These are all expensive, obviously--another reason for trying to find low-cost to no-cost medical care. I'm sure you have looked already--but maybe it exists somewhere and you haven't found it yet. I hope so. And, if all else fails, do go to the ER. They can't force you to pay bills you cannot pay.

When I was first diagnosed with IBS in 1982, I was put on a phenobarbital-based drug. That did nothing for the IBS, but it did get me all tanked up on phenobarbital! I honestly don't know what the current recommended prescription medications are, as I stopped taking them some years ago. I am careful with my diet, and I live off acid-blockers like ranitidine and basic old-fashioned stuff like Pepto-Bismal and Alka-Seltzer, but otherwise, I have mostly learned to live with my condition. The reflux is worse, but the rest of the IBS is frequently better than it used to be.

Re/OTC treatments, I highly recommend the acid-blocker class of drugs. I seem to have to take them nearly every day--and when I do, they help enormously. I take ranitidine, famotidine, or cimetidine on a rotating basis.

So that's some of of what I know about IBS. If you turn out to have it, OP, it will be unfortunate but it won't kill you. Here's wishing the best for you!

18. GP60

GP60 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

Here's an update. The bloating remains pretty consistently. The other symptoms I mentioned seem to be pretty infrequent. I wanted to try a probiotic since I read many people have had success with them in treating IBS, especially bloating. So I got one a few days ago specifically designed for the small and large intestine and specifically professes to deal with bloating. I was encouraged at first because after starting it I was farting a lot. Like... A LOT. I thought maybe gas was the cause of my bloating and my body was getting rid of it. And since I knew how to keep 'em quiet in public and they were benign odor wise, it was no big deal. But after 3 or 4 days of farting, the bloating remains. I was hoping to hold off on the ER until I used the probiotic for about a week. And I did try some Cimetidine since I had some leftover from my poppy seed potentiation days. But no change.

However I did notice something that concerned me quite a bit more. I noticed a bit of swelling on the right side of my chest, under the breast. I consulted an anatomy chart, and wouldn't you know, it's right about where the liver is. It's a small hand sized area that just sticks out a little like a very short bulge. It's not hard or soft, it feels like the rest of my stomach. But it definitely is protruding a little bit. That is certainly concerning and more than likely I will go to the ER soon.

And this brings me to a question. Would opiates that do not have any Tylenol present a significant risk of any liver damage? Because I've only done Tramadol, Poppy Seed Tea, and for short periods, Loperamide. Would any of those present a danger to liver function? Granted they were larger doses, in some cases very large, but they never had Tylenol. Actually, to be perfectly honest, there were a few instances where I took some Vicodin that did have Tylenol. However these instances were extremely rare. Usually if I had a root canal or a wisdom tooth pulled and got some from the dentist or another physician, I'd take around 6. But again, this happened maybe half a dozen times and the most recent time was probably 2 years ago. so what kind of effect would those drugs have on the liver? Have I potentially screwed myself more than I thought? I did check out some medical websites that listed hepatoxic drugs, but I never saw any of the ones I was using listed, so I thought I was fine

19. cren

cren Titanium Member Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth

Thats not good. I am not trying to be alarmist but poppy seed tea can contain other things that can have no effect on your high but still potentially harm your liver. Generally opiates dont harm your liver but poppy seed tea isnt just pure opiates it has other extra things that can be harmfull. I am not sure about tramadol. A simple blood test will see if you have good liver function or not but pain on that side can also indicate other things not just liver problems so you need to confirm the cause of this, as there can be so many things that can go wrong.
    You can self diagnose for ever if you want, but if you want to prevent things getting worse and fix something while it still can be fixed then you need to see a doctor as soon as possible.
    If you can come up with the money for tramadol and poppy seed tea and all the other things then you can find the money for the doctor.

20. ladywolf2012

Reputation Points:

It seems that just about all medications are processed by the liver, so the liver is working hard all the time to eliminate the toxins we dump into it. Some, like acetominophen, are just more toxic, is all.

Stop worrying and get to a good doctor. In my considerable experience, liver inflamations have always felt hard and spongy, not soft as you are describing. So anything at all may be going on, and before you start heaping tons of abuse of yourself for your possible "drug crimes," find out what is really going on!