1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP
    Dismiss Notice

GBL legal status

Discussion in 'GHB' started by DexSmarts, Jan 9, 2007.

1. DexSmarts

DexSmarts Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male
    So im taking it that its still legal in some states? excluding:California, Hawaii, New York, Oklahoma, Oregon?

2. thegoodfight

thegoodfight Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male
    Re: GBL status

What does swiy mean by "legal". Swim believes that it is an analog under federal law

3. garbled

garbled Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male from switzerland

How about: excluding the UNITED states.

4. Pomzazed

Pomzazed Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from thailand

Gamma Buterolactone is controlled substance in Thailand, and is permitted to use in industrial purpose only. License is needed in obtaining GBL here.
    (This also applies to 1,4-butanediol)

5. psyche

psyche Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    29 y/o Male from finland

I don't think that author is interested about it's legal status around the world, but if you're going to expand the thread to deal with legal status around the globe, I think it's totally uncontrolled in Finland. GHB is sold for worst cases of insomnia under the brand name Xyrem by prescription.

6. WrtngCocaineTutorial

WrtngCocaineTutorial Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from The Netherlands

I vote for extending the thread to gbl around the world.

I've seen Canada as a counrty gbl is shipped from, so I suppose it's legal there.

7. thegoodfight

thegoodfight Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male

Swim second's this!
    GBL is made by a few companies in Japan and China. What is the status in those countries?

8. garbled

garbled Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male from switzerland

GBL is now a listed chemical in Canada (as of 2003). I have heard that both GBL and GHB are outlawed in Japan. As far as I know they both are illegal in Canada, USA, NZ, Australia. But, although GBL is a List 1 chemical in the US, I understand that BDO is NOT listed.

FWIW, GBL and BDO are still legal in the US, they are just illegal if intended for human consumption. Once they prove you are in possession of either "for human consumption", that's when the noose tightens. Take the case of David Calder of Scotland. Because he "knew" the GBL he was selling to Americans was intended for human consumption, he too was in violation of US law.

9. boagoa

boagoa Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Male
    AW: GBL status

GBL is legal in germany, but it is watched via a "voluntarily monitoring system" . vendors should check buyers and normally the should save some information like name + address...

but it's a voluntarily system, you only need to find a vendor who don't want to know who you are =)

ghb is illegal in germany.

10. zera

zera Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from Illinois, U.S.A.

The DEA threshold limit for GBL is 0 kilograms, with the only exeption being when it is sold and transported in a 4,000 kilogram or greater container. That is to say if you want to buy GBL you need to purchase a 4,000 kilogram shipment, and if you don't think Joe Schmoe is going to get a visit from his local friendly field office after ordering 4,000 kilograms of a list I chemical, you probably are too stupid to be playing chemistry.

There is no possible way that you will obtain GBL from any legitimate organization that does business in the United States, and there is no way that if customs finds you importing it that you'll get away with it (it's also illegal to import in anything less than a 4,000 kilogram container). So for all intents and purposes GBL is a controlled substance in the US.

11. pillz

pillz Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male

swim doesnt think it is fully illegal in the usa, but if it isnt fully illegal it is definately a watched chemical just as any ephedrine products are.

12. darawk

darawk Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    Male

It's not illegal in the U.S. To my knowledge, it's still sold OTC in some states(albeit, mixed in with other substances).

13. Secure.H

Secure.H Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Female from Massachusetts, U.S.A.
    Re: Legal status of GBL in Mexico?

I am still curious swim thinks this really a no-brainer. GBL is not even illegal in the states simply a list 1 watched chem. It wouldn't even be illegal to drive back with a gallon! Or lets say it wouldn't be illegal to posess in the states I won't presume what the international border law is.

Surely it is common in Chihuaha? Unless there is some date rape hysteria there as well and I find Mexicans to be less hysterical a little more libertarian than the US.

Should swim swim across the rio grande and report back?

14. john nelson

john nelson Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male
    Re: Legal status of GBL in Mexico?

15. fnord

fnord Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male
    GBL legal in the us?

erowid is confusing me...

GBL became a List 1 chemical on Feb 18, 2000

1,4-Butanediol is not scheduled in the United States though we believe that it may now be scheduled in some states. It is not approved by the FDA for human consumption which generally means that possession is federally legal while sale for human consumption may specifically be illegal. It is possible that possession and sales could be prosecuted under the Federal Analogue Act (as an analog of GHB) although a federal case in New York in 2002 ruled that 1,4-butanediol could not be considered an analogue of GHB under federal law. On December 11, 2002, an 8th Circuit Court in Minnesota ruled that 1,4b was an Analogue under federal law, differences in the cases and jurisdictions means the status of 14b under US Federal Law is not yet fully resolved.

so erowid is saying its legal and ileagel?what is it?

16. snapper

snapper Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    Re: GBL legal in the us?

It is list 1 and all sales need to be reported. Very watched chem. It is not scheduled in the us. GBL is.

17. fnord

fnord Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male

what if it was being shipped from the uk?would those sales also be reported?what would happen if someone was caught ordering it?would customs just steal there shit?or would criminal charges be brought for small amounts like 250ml?

18. zera

zera Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from Illinois, U.S.A.

It is illegal to sell GBL in anything less than 50 gallon containers. Small standalone quantities are just as illegal as purchasing scheduled substances.

19. rxbandit

rxbandit Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.

Theres alot of sketchy sites selling GBL that obviously don't care about goverment protocol. As long as swiy isnt ordering from an official looking chemical company, swiy should not worry to heavily. tend on the side of caution though, as it sucks being woken up by men in black with shields.

20. snapper

snapper Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.

However, if SWIY is busted with the GBL (and people have in the US receiving from the UK suppliers) you may get more than a loveletter and they give out long sentences for GHB. The DEA is equally merciless with GBL. SWIY wouldn't chance it as, bottom line, it is illegal. No grey area at all.
    1,4BDO would likely bring equally negative attention, though the status of this chem in the US is more ambiguous.