1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP

Tapering - Getting off Clonazepam with Vit. B3 (niacinamide & niacin)

Discussion in 'Downers addiction' started by GordonWarren, Jun 25, 2015.

1. GordonWarren

GordonWarren Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from Canada
    My pusher (dr.) got me hooked on benzos 10 years ago (5mg/day, which is the equivalent of 100mg/day of valium). He told me that the meds I was taking was a bridge to recovery from trauma & job burnout. What a crock of BS that was! I recently decided to take matters into my own hands and get off of clonazepam for good. This link got me started. orthomolecular dot org
    While xanax is the same strength as clonazepam, 5mg proved too much to quit all at once, so I began the following taper, changing and adding things as I saw fit (I've been reading info about orthomolecular medicine & ordered some books from Amazon). The basic theory is that people with severe illnesses (especially those taking prescription meds) have "maxed out" their vitamin & mineral reserves and require megadoses of certain vitamins to give patients the nutrients they need to recover.

Week 1: Cut back from 5mg clonazepam to 4mg per day
    Daily Vitamin Intake
    - not much, just 3mg of melatonin an hour to 2 hours before bed (when you take it is important, because it's a hormone that will reset your bodyclock). I cut clonazepam back from 3mg to 2mg before bedtime. No ill effects reported, but this was just dumb luck on my part. Week 2 is a more solid approach (one to imitate if you are hooked on benzos and want to get off of them).

Week 2: Cut back from 4mg to 3mg per day
    Daily Vitamin Intake
    - 500mg niacin taken right after lunch (feel the flush--no health worries, it's natural)
    - 1000mg niacinamide taken between 2 & 3pm
    - 500mg vitamin C taken between 2 & 3pm (blocks nausea often caused by niacinamide in the liver)
    - 1000mg niacinamide taken between 4 & 5pm
    - 500mg vitamin C taken between 4 & 5pm (same time as niacinamide)
    - 1mg clonazepam taken at 2pm
    - 2mg clonazepam taken at bedtime
    - 3mg melatonin taken 90 minutes before bedtime
    ---------------------------------
    Additional vitamins taken for general health
    - 1 centrum multivitamin (breakfast)
    - 1 calcium with magnesium & zinc (breakfast)
    - 1 vitamin B12 (100 mcg, breakfast)
    - 1 vitamin B (mix of B1, B2, B3, & B6 - trace amounts, breakfast)
    - 1 vitamin A (3000 mcg, lunch) aka 10,000 IU (international units)
    - 1 vitamin E (180mg, lunch) aka 400 IU (don't ask me how they calculate it; I'm just reading labels)

NOTE: Don't take vitamins, including niacinamide, after 5pm unless you want to be squirrelly all night. Have a drink (booze) or your favorite GABA enhancer if you are anxious and take more niacinamide & vitmain C the next day to increase GABA in your system without puking.

Week 3: Cutting back from 3mg to 2mg (proposed, I'll let you know how it works out & what adjustments, if any, I had to make).
    Daily Vitamin Intake
    - 500mg niacin taken right after lunch (feel the flush--no health worries, it's natural)
    - 1000mg niacinamide taken between 2 & 3pm
    - 500mg vitamin C taken between 2 & 3pm (blocks nausea often caused by niacinamide in the liver)
    - 1500mg niacinamide taken between 3 & 5pm
    - 1000mg vitamin C taken between 3 & 5pm (same time as niacinamide)
    - 500mg niacin taken between 4 & 5pm
    - 2mg clonazepam taken at bedtime (none during the day at all)
    - 3mg melatonin taken 90 minutes before bedtime
    ---------------------------------
    Additional vitamins taken for general health
    - 1 centrum multivitamin (breakfast)
    - 1 calcium with magnesium & zinc (breakfast)
    - 1 vitamin B12 (100 mcg, breakfast)
    - 1 vitamin B (mix of B1, B2, B3, & B6 - trace amounts, breakfast)
    - 1 vitamin A (3000 mcg, lunch) aka 10,000 IU (international units)
    - 1 vitamin E (180mg, lunch) aka 400 IU

What really got me interested in orthomolecular medicine was shortly after I started taking niacinamide, my depression completely disappeared after 38 years! This was an unexpected benefit after quitting effexor, which I did easily using 5-HTP. That thread may still be here somewhere. I put it up a couple of week ago. However, 5-HTP made me moody; now I don't have to take 5-HTP at all. That got me drinking the orthomolecular koolaid, as anybody who has suffered severe depression would.

If you would like to quit benzos using vitamin B3 (niacinamide & niacin), share your progress & report any good/bad effects. I'll keep this thread updated as I wean myself off of benzos for good.

GordonWarren added 867 Minutes and 53 Seconds later...

Note: I've since cut back on the "Additional vitamins." They were making me squirrelly.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
  2. Jake.

Jake. Ask me a question, try me ;-) Titanium Member Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    from UK
    I am using this method , found a really good guide about quitting Alprazolam on the internet,

I am using

B6
    B12
    Niacin High Dose
    GABA 750mg 3 times daily,

and jumping off cold turkey,

I may make my own support thread,

Good luck!!!