getting out of bed in a morning...

Discussion in 'Cannabis' started by dnb warrior, Nov 3, 2006.

1. dnb warrior

dnb warrior Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    There is nothing SWIM loves more than a spliff before bed. but if I have been smoking herb the night before (ie pretty much all of the time), when he wakes up all he wants to do is curl up in bed for the rest of eternity, and return to the dreams from which he has been so rudely awakened by that spawn of the devil known as an alarm clock. he can never believe that any of the day's events should have the audacity to think that they are important enough to make him get up.

whether he has had 4 hours or 14 hours sleep getting out of bed is hell, once he has been up for a few minutes he is fine, what he can't do is make the jump from that blissful, half-waking half-sleeping state that is better than any drug, to waking up and going about those mundane morning tasks.

he manages to make it to all of the most important morning/early afternoon appointments, but it's those slightly-less-critical appointments that sometimes suffer. If SWIM can fabricate in his head any sort of half-arsed excuse for not going to that lecture, the chances of him moving become pretty slim.

I would like to be a reliable person and not waste the best part of every day lying in bed. but is this problem just a fact of life for stoners, or are there things that can be done about it (other than smoking less weed).

I have tried putting his alarm on the other side of the room but always ends up getting up to turn it off then jumping straight back into bed. he has considered setting his alarm half an hour early, then necking a load of caffeine pills before lying back down and waiting for them to kick in (although he hasnt actually tried this yet). are there any ways round it? I'd like to hear from any regular cannabis users, does this scenario apply to everyone, or is it less of a problem for some? can SWIM's brain be taught to think logically in a morning, or will logic forever be overpowered by an overwhelming desire to do anything except get out of bed?

2. Each Hit

Each Hit Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I has quite similar reactions in the morning. obviously, the only way to help is to not smoke too close to bed time. either that or tell You to practice his self-discipline. sometimes, we just have to force ourselves out of bed, regardless of whether we want to or not. it also helps to sleep at the same time every day and in the same place. do not watch tv from your bed, as that trains your mind to not get tired in bed. basically, if you can train yourself to go to bed and get up at the same time every day (which might require waking up early a few times to get sleepy by 12am or whenever sleep is desired), it should be a little easier on those hazy mornings. swim often wakes up on his own around 8:30 in the mornings, now (he used to sleep until 11 or 12).

i know that probably isn't much help to you, but it is what generally works for me. there are still days when getting out of bed just isn't an option, but those only come once or twice a semester, now for swim...

3. soloradio

soloradio Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I have the same problem too!!!!! Its quite bad! Alarm clocks on the other side of the room, in the closet, underneath the bed...none have helped SWIM. Sometimes I dont even remember turning off the alarm, reguardless of where it is! I have tried popping some energy pills - Zantrex3 - and those have helped him get up after laying back down in bed from waking up....it is just not practical though. I suggested to swim, and now you!, that self dicipline in the morning is the only way out. It may be harsh, but so far this is the only thing i find that works for SWIM.

Im going to keep myself posted on this thread, i need to find a better answer! Wish i could help more

4. old hippie 56

old hippie 56 Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    Once you learn that shit won't get done laying on your ass. Think about who counting on you to get up and go to school/work.
    Or become one who can get by on 3 hrs sleep like swim.

5. Bajeda

Bajeda Super Moderator Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    The lethargic effect the next day comes from the THC that actually is processed by the liver when you smoke, which is converted into 11-hydroxy-THC, what affects you when you eat marijuana. It gives you a long lasting sleepiness effect that can make it a bitch to get up the next day after smoking, or in swim's case make him rely on marijuana to get to sleep to an extent.

Caffeine can help jerk you up a bit, otherwise you just have to learn to deal wtih it and use willpower to force yourself up in the morning. Once you get up an moving and get a shower in its alot easier to keep yourself awake.

Only other way to deal with it is to smoke less, or stop smoking completely.

After a long history of smoking daily I am starting to lean towards cutting back a bit and only smoking when he knows he doesn't have things to do and can relax both while smoking and the day after (plus wake & bake is quite enjoyable).

6. quili

quili Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I had the same problem last semester. Her grades suffered from it, too. :/ I amn't smoking now because she's in Japan and it's not around or available to her at the moment, and it DEFINITELY makes a HUGE difference. But, she will probably resume previous trends upon return to the U.S. Though her grades suffered last semester, she attributes this more to her own lack of caring than to the weed. If you care about what you're doing, you'll do it, right? At least that's what I think. So her lack of motivation to get out of bed in the morning suggested to her a bigger problem of not seeing a purpose in the activities she was doing, or not enjoying them, and therefore not doing the right things in her life. She doesn't like blaming the drug and it doesn't seem like the whole story to her.

7. dnb warrior

dnb warrior Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    yeah I find if he has a critical appointment it is much less of a problem. but he thinks routine is probably one of the most important things too, like some of you hae mentioned... I used to get up at 7:30 every morning and while he was late some of the time it wasnt by more than 10 or 15 minutes... now he is at university there is no real routine, sometimes he has to be in at 9, usually its more like midday, but anything before about 2pm seems early now.

he might try getting up at say 10:30 every day whether he has to or not, that might help.

8. jesusfreak666er

jesusfreak666er Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    sry if this is kinda bad response, but maybe consider not smoking right before bed... I feel like its a waste of weed. He likes to smoke like 3 hours before bed so by the time hes goin to sleep hes sobering up that way he enjoys the best parts of the high aswell as not running into that groggy morning feeling... good luck

9. Nature Boy

Nature Boy Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from ireland
    SWIM's cure for the pot hangover is a good breakfast and a strong cup of coffee. It's easier to get out of bed if food's being made for you in the morning. Better yet, get breakfast in bed.

10. dnb warrior

dnb warrior Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    mmm I think breakfast in bed might do the trick... fat chance of that though
    jesusfreak: actually a good suggestion, if it works, SWIM still gets the hangover (if it can be called that) even when he leaves a few hours between spliff and sleep but maybe its not as bad. maybe if he just thinks its not as bad, then it won't be.
    SWIM never considered it a waste of any drug if he goes to sleep before it wears off, he likes to go to bed on a high, still he would probably waste less money if he used this method, so it must be worth a shot!

11. Akewstick

Akewstick Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Breakfast, deffinately, SWIM never goes to sleep stoned unless he has coffee and bread in, the thought of coffee and toast is all that will move his ass, if he dosen't have the shit to make breakfast... well, he can't imagine he'd get up before dusk, no matter if the rest of humanity was counting on him getting out of bed.

12. chilliker

chilliker Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    They lie about marijuana. Tell you pot-smoking makes you unmotivated. Lie! When you're high, you can do everything you normally do just as well … you just realize that it's not worth the fucking effort. There is a difference.
    -Bill Hicks

13. Pinkavvy

Pinkavvy Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Swip has noticed that drinking plenty of water in the morning when you first wake up helps get the lethargic stoned feeling through you... then of course you toast a fatty blunt for breakfast of some good purple sativa to get your day started right.

14. Alicia

Alicia Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Swia tends to still be able to get up with out problems, problem is thou she is always wakes up early in the morning refuses to wake the boyo up and lays there even when she not smoking the night prior. Swia feels groggy sometimes but can still get up ready to work or smoke more. :)

suppose it all depends on how often you smoke or use weed in general.

15. edges

edges Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    I think You needs to stop smoking the night before critical appointments, perhaps.

Also if You goes to bed and gets up at exactly the same time every day, he will find it much easier (if not already doing so).

Another thing You might try is one of those coffee machines that has a timer. Personally, I hate coffee out of a coffee machine (hand-drip for me) but if You likes it, maybe the smell of fresh coffee already made might help him out of bed.

16. D.U.M.B

D.U.M.B Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    I have this problem from time to time. Mainly during the week when working. SWIM usually gets up straight away and has a cup of coffee and goes outside for some fresh air. Sometimes SWIM can wake up still stoned with the smoke still filling the room, on occasions like this SWIM struggles to get up but has always managed to.

On the weekends it can be a different story. I have been known to awake early on a Sunday, say 7am and have a quick toke and sleep up until 9 or 10 and then have another quick smoke and another hour of sleep. It keeps the dreams interesting so I say

17. AdderallJunkie102

AdderallJunkie102 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    I have this problem too, because he is still living with his parents and don't worry I am still in high school. Having parents that are home all the time makes blazing by yourself really hard and I have to do this often because often while his friends are blazing he is doing HW or busy at work. If I was living by himself he could simply smoke right away after finishing responsibilities, but that is impossible so, he must wait till his parents go to sleep to smoke. To get the minimum amount of sleep that I need he can go to bed a few hours after his parents go to bed, however it is pushing it a little; in terms of it being a comfortable bedtime. So, I would run into the problem of weed hangovers and he had to develop a caffeine addiction.

SWIM's ritual is to set the alarm 5 or 10 minutes before he has to get out of bed and make sure he has a water bottle full of very strong Iced tea (w/ plenty of sugar) next to his bed. He then drinks it and then lies back down till he has to get up. Smoking a cigarette on top of this helps a lot too unless you get light headed easily. Also, taking OTC painkillers can help get rid of even more of that sore feeling you get in the morning after smoking weed.

In terms of forcing yourself to get out of bed: SWIM always reminds himself that once he drinks his coffee or other strong caffeine drink that he will be fine. Having a good breakfast as an incentive helps a lot and believe it or not needing to go to the bathroom in the morning is a good way of forcing yourself to get out of bed.

18. dirk

dirk Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Regardless of if I smoke or not, I have a real foggy head in the morning. It allways seems so unreasonable an idea that anything is really worth me not having "just a few more minutes in bed".

I have read around the subject for ideas and inspiration and came across someone who recomended trying to condition a habit of getting up and out of bed as soon as the alarm goes off (and obviously not returning to the lovely warm bed).

They suggest you can instill this habit by training. i.e. you spend an evening or two getting into bed, setting the alarm to go of in ten minutes. Relax and get into a nice cosy state. Then, when the alarm goes of you sit up, swing your feet out of bed take a couple of really deep breaths then get out of bed and leave the room.

If you practice this enough, then do it "for real" for 30 days it will become a really strongly ingrained habit. (a bit like the habit you have now).

My other trick is having my nicotine habit drag me out of bed. I keep my tobaco at the point in the house furthest away from my bed, and I never smoke in the bedroom. Some mornings I may not know how it happens, but I find myself sat downstairs lighting up the first fag of the day.

Or you can allways start looking for a job as a test pilot for a bed company.

1. 3/5,
      good suggestions!
      Nov 20, 2006
  19. Akewstick

Akewstick Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Have a cream siphon with a charger of N2O cracked into it and a balloon attached, but set the rule that you can only do it while walking to the kitchen to make a coffee.

20. dnb warrior

dnb warrior Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    good suggestions. I am going to start conditioning his lazy self... starting tomorrow! a new life of being up in mornings awaits.