Glutathione or N-Acetyle Cysteine to Prevent Hangover

Discussion in 'The euphoric body' started by Gradient, Jul 22, 2014.

1. Gradient

Gradient Sentient alkaloid Staff Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    I've been told that some people consume glutathione or n-acetyle cysteine supplements ~30 minutes prior to their first drink to reduce or prevent subsequent hangovers. The rationale is that glutathione can participate in the metabolism of acetaldehyde to acetate, and the amount of glutathione present in the liver can be exhausted by heavier drinking.

Has anyone tried this with any success?

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
  2. mess clean

mess clean 'member? Palladium Member Supporter Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    42 y/o from 3rd Stone from the Sun (M-F, 8:00 PM to 4:00 AM)
    I haven't tried this specifically with regards to drinking, but taking NAC will increase your liver's production of glutathione, which is arguably the best universal endogenous antioxidant you've got.

Even if it doesn't have any effect on your ability to overcome a hangover, it will literally make your body better suited to reduce the harmful effects of drinking on your body and liver. This is from an oxidative standpoint, not a "hangover" one.

Even though I haven't done this specifically for hangover protection, I do take NAC daily and I haven't had a hangover in years. And I was just at a wedding a couple days ago where copious amounts of champagne and whiskey were consumed (by me and others) and I woke up late but basically ok the next day...others weren't so lucky. Lol.

So, now you've got me wondering the same thing...and in my experience, it seems to work.

Hopefully others chime in too with info on this.

3. Lodewijkp

Lodewijkp Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from The Netherlands
    acetyl choline taken before drinking protects the liver and kidneys , taken after drinking it makes alcohol and its metabolites more toxic to the body. the study is somewhere on pubmed , i haven't saved the link.

if you want a hangover cure go for Ampelopsin, gynostemma pentaphyllum contains good amount along with other ginseng alkaloids.

4. Gradient

Gradient Sentient alkaloid Staff Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    I'd certainly be interested to hear if people find reduced or abolished hangover symptoms - and also, if glutathione supplements indeed reduce acetaldehyde loads, if the subjective effects of drinking are changed in any way.

This doesn't make much sense to me. Who takes acetylcholine supplements? Do you mean supplements that provide the requisite molecules for acetylcholine synthesis within the body?

If you can find this study you're referring to, demonstrating that boosting acetylcholine results in exacerbated heptato/neprhotoxicity from alcohol, it would be a very helpful contribution to the site.

Interesting. If you would explain how these compounds help prevent or cure hangover symptoms, this would also be extremely appreciated.

5. Lodewijkp

Lodewijkp Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from The Netherlands