Greater Celandine (Chelidonium majus)

Discussion in 'Ethnobotanicals' started by Thirdedge, Apr 8, 2006.

1. Thirdedge

Thirdedge Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:

The greater celandine (Chelidonium majus) is a yellow-flowering poppy, native to Europe and the Mediterranean basin. It is also widespread in North America, having been brought there by settlers as a herbal remedy for skin problems such as warts as early as 1672. The whole plant is toxic, containing a range of alkaloids, such as Chelerythrine; it may also cause contact dermatitis, particulalry the sap.

Greater celandine plants may reach 80 cm high, with deeply divided, 30-cm long leaves. The flowers comprise four yellow petals, each about 1 cm long, and are produced from May to July. The seeds are small and black, and possess an elaiosome, which attracts ants to disperse the seeds (myrmecochory).

The greater celandine is the only species in the genus Chelidonium, and is not closely related to the lesser celandine, which is in a different family.

I have read elsewhere it contains the alkaloids chelidonine, sparteine, protopine, chelerythrine and berberine. Some of these are responsible for the effects of the Chicolate (Mexican Poppy).

Well, I just loaded up my bong and proceded to inhale 3 cones, and fu&k me, it works:)

Instant change in mood, mild relaxation / calming, vision seems clearer, headache that has been lurking for a day or two has dissapered, interesting.

2. RealGanjaMan

RealGanjaMan Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Heh, I was staying at my Parents House the other day and my mom came home with a big bag of this from Australian mini-franchise herb/legal high store that just opened a store in my city. Its marketed as an recreational herb with medical benefits. The product code is 'OPI 8' :)D).

Anyways here's what the label says:
    ai.imgur.com_1lcHl.png

I've been smoking it and also have made a few cups of it throughout the last few days. I notice a very very mild/slight sedative effect, that diminishes fairly quickly. But for a few bucks, its alright, considering its medicinal benefits. Tastes good when smoked, when made into a tea I believe its a bit of an acquired taste.

3. ginettofica

ginettofica Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from italy
    I've been smoking it and also have made a few cups of it throughout the last few days. I notice a very very mild/slight sedative effect, that diminishes fairly quickly. But for a few bucks, its alright, considering its medicinal benefits. Tastes good when smoked, when made into a tea I believe its a bit of an acquired taste.[/QUOTE]

Chelidonium majus has very variable activity throughout the year. It has many balsamic times (as cholagogue, as psychoactivity, as antifungal). Unfortunately each one excludes the other. However the plant always contains chelidoninum (narcotine-like alkaloid, not narcotic, ultra-miorilassant, unsafe), which must be removed from the extracts. Chelidonium may be useful as an opioid, but I think we need to study it for at least ten years (and risk some unpleasant poisoning). In short, every variety of the Papaveraceae species contains useful narcotics, often the problem are adverse alkaloids, which can be at least unpleasant. Smoking "opi8" (leaves of the plant) can't cause more than a minimal relaxation, some heaviness of the body and probably the same analgesia of one half poppy leaf (provided the plant has been collected in its right time). Some very old books are helpful, some not (especially those that describe the celidoninum as a morphine-like substance). We need also understand the complex action of cheleritryne, and make sure that the aerial parts of Chelidonium does not contain sanguinarine. A big mess, in fact. Sorry for the bad English