1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP

Greece to make substance use legal!

Discussion in 'Drug Policy Reform & Narco Politics' started by saos, Aug 3, 2011.

1. saos

saos Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from greece
    The Greek government announced that it will legalize the use of all drugs and substances, from cannabis to heroin :applause:. Possession and cultivation for personal use, will be considered a misdemeanor, and will be punished by fine or by up to 30 days of prison. Prison time, can also be bought.

Harsher penalties are to be given to drug dealers from now on. In most cases it will be double the time that the current penal system advises. Until now if one was an addict and a drug dealer, he would get a lower sentence. This will no longer apply and drug dealers will be dealt the same whether they are addicts on not.

The government invoked humanitarian reasons for this sudden change of legislation, but everybody knows, that they cant keep up with the bill, of the so called drug-war. 40 percent of convicts in prison are because of drug related crimes, and the courts cannot process cases at a satisfactory rate, making some cases (even simple ones) to last for years.

Hopefully, they will ultimately understand that there is a lot of money to be made by making Greece the new Netherlands, and start giving licences for cannabis shops and smartshops. All the quality of the Dutch weeds and mushrooms, plus sunshine, beaches, and great nature.

Long live the great Greek crisis!

source in english provided by darkcharmer: greece.greekreporter.com/2011/08/02/decriminalization-of-drug-us/

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  2. psyche

psyche Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    29 y/o from finland
    Wow. Any source for this?

3. darkcharmer

darkcharmer Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from Canada
    I've got one here:
    greece.greekreporter.com/2011/08/02/decriminalization-of-drug-us/

Not legal, but decriminalized.

4. Alfa

Alfa Productive Insomniac Staff Member Administrator

Reputation Points:
    116 y/o from The Netherlands
    greece.greekreporter.com/2011/08/02/decriminalization-of-drug-us/

5. dabullsef

dabullsef Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    This is great news! but if i'm reading correctly, only cannabis will have punishment if it effects others not just the user? Why not the other decriminalized drugs?

6. darkcharmer

Reputation Points:
    from Canada
    It's trying to say that cultivating cannabis specifically will fall into the misdemeanor category (along with possessing any drug), implying that manufacturing other drugs besides cannabis will still be treated harshly. That's the only place cannabis is mentioned in the article, I don't think the "punishment if it affects others besides the user" has any specific reference to cannabis attached to it.

7. saos

saos Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from greece
    From what i have gathered from newspapers and television stations, the cultivation of any plant that bears a psychoactive substance for personal use, will fall into the same category as cultivating cannabis for personal use. A misdemeanor.

Growing magic mushrooms, coca , salvia, or even poppies, if grown in quantities that can justify personal use, is to be considered a misdemeanor. It is not specifically stated but implied. Processing coca, poppies or any substance to produce a drug, is still unclear if it will be considered a felony or a misdemeanor if the scale can justify personal use. My guess is that it will be considered a felony. I will try and keep you posted on the details.

Now some more details about drug dealing. Large scale drug dealing will be punished by a life sentence that it is usually 25-30 years. Small scale drug dealing will be punished with 10 to 20 years in prison. The current law requires 5 to 10 years of imprisonment.

Terrible news for the entrepreneurs of the wild side, but a long deserved justification for the users.

8. _Dante_

_Dante_ Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from scotland
    Interesting.

Just as Amsterdam are about to turf out all of their drug seeking holiday makers, Greece attempt to cash in while in the depth of a financial crisis.

I'm probably being too cynical, but it's food for thought...

9. geriann

geriann Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    35 y/o from U.K.
    that's the frst thing i thought of too, LOL.

10. mersann

mersann Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    As this is more about decriminalisation than legalisation, this is probably not about a direct attempt to get more money. But, I, too, thought that this may have to do with all these financial problems they have - it could be that they're trying to cut expenses, rather than trying to get more money.

IMO, if they were really legalising all these drugs (with relatively high taxes) and getting a state monopoly, they might really get plenty of money from taxes, while getting rid of a problem that costs a lot of money. The way they do it, they only get rid of the problem while not gaining additional money - or perhaps this is like a test run, and they will officially legalise it in case their tests are successful.

I fear, that latter idea of mine is wishful thinking, but I could imagine that once one country starts legalising drugs that don't have too much of a negative effect on society, a wave of legalisation might follow, just as to avoid too much money concerning drug tourism going outside the country.

11. saos

saos Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from greece
    Re: Greece about to decriminalize substance use!

Lets hope that this is the long term plan. For now, the plan is to decriminalize use, but not legalize any kind of sale. Mersann you nailed it.

12. veritas.socal

veritas.socal Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    75 y/o from California, U.S.A.
    cannabis was NEVER actually legal in holland
    please dont neg rep me if im wrong, but i read somewhere it was only decriminalized and a blind eye turned
    the netherlands BANKED, im sure, on canna-tourism, taxes from coffeeshops, etc. people making holland a stop on their holiday, just to go to amsterdan to puff the dank.
    i am sure that the greek government will benefit financially from decrim, even if its just the money NOT spent on enforcing the drug laws

13. Maca1

Maca1 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Another EU country to follow Portugal's lead. Expect many more.

14. Alfa

Alfa Productive Insomniac Staff Member Administrator

Reputation Points:
    116 y/o from The Netherlands
    I hope so, but its not without reason that this important news did not make it to most countries. Most governments do not want such news publicized and more than a few EU governments have a lot more media control than they would admit to.

15. salgoud

salgoud Newbie

Reputation Points:
    61 y/o from togo
    Being a frequent traveler to Greece and the islands in the late 70's, possession of illegal drugs got you thrown in a Greek Prison. However, when going to a pharmacy on most islands, like Leros, you could obtain Valium Deca and methaqualone OTC. Also in Spain around the same time you could obtain these substances. I was not interested in other things at the time, but who knows what one could have obtained.

I believe that with Greece's current situation about it's debt and government, they just don't have the money to carry on a "Drug War". The Greek people are very proud and generous people. It makes a lot of sense to decriminalize all drugs. Drugs are a social problem, money would be better spent on rehabilitation than incarceration. I have so many fond memories of Greece, it saddens me what they have been going through.

Decriminalize all drugs. Someday, hopefully this will be accomplished.

salgoud

16. _Dante_

_Dante_ Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from scotland
    Too true!

I read the news regularly, and the only place I have seen this is on here.

I haven't looked for the piece (ie searched for it), though I haven't come across it, and in my opinion, it is news worthy of reporting more widely.

They don't want people knowing and then clamouring for the same legislationin their countries.

17. darkcharmer

Reputation Points:
    from Canada
    I'm also guessing that Greece is a bit embarrassed by this and thus making efforts not to spread it too far and wide (I mean, that paper isn't exactly one that's constantly monitored by the international media). I get the sense that it has nothing to do with increasing liberalization and greater acceptance of scientific findings, and instead - as some others have mentioned - with financial problems.

I nonetheless think you're right, and that this is especially true in the US. There may even be some sort of semi-backroom deal going on that allows them to do this without repercussions from the rest of the first world, as long as they don't advertise it and try to promote drug tourism. I say this not to conspiracy theorize, but because the UN does actually have some strong (US-pressure-based) rules regarding what member nations are and are not allowed to do in terms of their drug laws. They're open about this, it's not a secret - I can dig up sources for that if anyone is interested.

18. nomud

nomud Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from Chile
    Terrible what the bankers did to Greece.
    Swim thinks this was all a planned debt crisis event.
    The central bankers print fiat currency from thin air.
    And then bankrupt you by charging interest for money from nothing.
    OUCH
    In swim's humble opinion they gave Greece
    just enough rope to hang themself.
    Then the bankers will loot the country at a big
    discount.

19. Seth_Heinmann

Seth_Heinmann Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from Australia
    Bolivia has gone even further than Greece. There, they repealed the UN Single Convention on Narcotic Drugs. This, essentially, opens the way, not only for decriminalisation, but legalisation as well.

To find more, simply type "Bolivia" and "UN Single convention on Narcotic Drugs" in a google search.

20. neuxswalker

neuxswalker Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from Australia
    This is great, finally countries are waking up to harm minimisation,

Darkcharmer, I am interested to read of such UN practices if you would be so kind as to post references please