Growing Peruvian Torch From Cuttings?

Discussion in 'Peyote & San Pedro' started by farnboughtech, Mar 13, 2007.

1. farnboughtech

farnboughtech Newbie

Reputation Points:
    29 y/o
    this may seem stupid, but i was wondering if a fresh periuvuian torch (i know i know, i cant spell it) cutting, or a few of them would grow into a cacti with time.... like if you take a flower cutting it will grow. anyone with ideas?

2. kld1

kld1 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Re: grow?

Yep, they'll grow.

3. Barebonejoe

Barebonejoe Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Re: grow?

not a flower cutting. You need at least 6" of cactus column or tip.

4. Ninja Master

Ninja Master Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    ive gotten 3 inch cuttings to grow.

5. Meneer_Cactus

Meneer_Cactus Newbie

Reputation Points:
    35 y/o
    When harvesting a large Cactus, make sure that it is at least 18 inches (46 cm) long. Cut the Cactus into 3 equal size sections with a sterilized blade. Do this by making one slice 1/3 of the way from the growing tip, and another slice 1/3 of the way from the base of the plant. (Soil level) Leave the bottom, rooted section to regrow, use the middle section for your purposes, and use the top piece to root as a cutting.
    When rooting a Tricocereus species, take a cutting that is at least 15 cm (6 inch) in length. I have heard that cuttings as small as 2 cm (1 inch) thick can be rooted, but I advise a larger section. Be sure and take the cutting from a growing tip. Cut several shallow nicks in the ribs close to the bottom of the cutting. Set it in a cool dark place until the bottom becomes dry and hard to the touch (somewhat like cork).
    The section is now ready for planting after being dipped in a rooting hormone like RootTone (use per instructions). The section should be inserted about 7 cm (3 inch) into a commercial cactus mix. Be careful as the pot will probably be top heavy. Keep the cutting in the shade and let the soil dry out completely between waterings (watch for rot). Cuttings might need an occasional misting at their bases if they fail to root or shrivel.
    Some cluster forming Cacti, such as Mammillaria can be easily separated from the mother plant after they start forming separate roots. Just carefully break them off of the parent plant with a gentle, twisting motion ( a sterilized knife may be needed for those stubborn plants ). Plant the young starts as you would any other cutting, just remember to slightly bury the plants and cover all roots.

6. sunyata

sunyata Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from norway
    I have had success with 3 inch cuttings dipped in clonex gel, then allowed to absorb the clonex in a dark cupboard for 2-3 days before being placed in a tray filled with small sized(ca.0,5cm) leca-pebbles and watered occasionally.
    I have only done this twice, but both times roots were visibly developing after a couple of weeks.

7. Barebonejoe

Barebonejoe Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Ninja_Master, what is you's method for rooting 3" cuttings? And what's been the probability of it working for you? Same question applies to you, sunyata.

SWIM never tried anything less than 5". I've seen a pic of one rooted with a 1 1/2" section. I'm just wondering what's the most efficient.

I can't wait for SWIM to experiment with this once he has settled down.

Last edited: May 4, 2007
  8. sunyata

sunyata Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from norway
    Swim dipped them in Clonex rooting hormone, placed them on a plate and left them in a dark, dry closet for a couple of days. Occasional misting, though I am not sure it's necessary and don't overdo it.
    After that he placed the cutting in a small container filled with leca pebbles(roughly 5mm). He watered it maybe once a week, but you have to monitor the cactus, if it starts swelling you must water it a lot less.
    After two-three weeks the cuttings had developed visible roots around one centimeter long, he repotted at this time.

After repotting it is a good idea to mist it occasionally as well, since the roots are very short and can not reach much water, but again, don't overdo it.

I have only done it twice, but with success both times.

9. Mr.Nixon

Mr.Nixon Newbie

Reputation Points:
    is there any way to increase the mescaline content of the peruvian torch

as I have read that levels vary

10. Ninja Master

Ninja Master Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    barebonejoe see this thread
    https://drugs-forum.com/threads/30799
    probability of it working is around 90% depending how fat the cut is before rooting. it takes cacti bloated with water to do this. so far to date ive got 100% success with this method and ive done it to more than whats pictured in this other thread.

11. jux

jux Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    MIF planted a 2 1/2 inch cutting that is about 1 1/2 in diameter. he checked a couple of days ago and it has roots started. (pics at the end: (https://drugs-forum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=276508#post276508 )

all mif did was let the cutting dry at the bottom for a week. he then stuck it in a mix of dry cactus soil and pearlite.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2007
  12. rza

rza Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from new_zealand
    Ive got a cutting that is less than a inch and its starting to root fine.