1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP

Hair drug testing and question i haven't seen clearly answered.

Discussion in 'Drug testing discussion' started by ReppingPlates, Sep 8, 2017.

1. ReppingPlates

ReppingPlates Newbie

Reputation Points:
    36 y/o from New York, United States
    So I have hypothetical, lets say a person used amphetamines and benzos and always shaves off all their body hair and had no head hair and they kept shaving it all, they then stopped prescription use. How long would they have to wait before they could be sure that any new body hair they let grow was fully clean? If they waited two weeks and stopped shaving, would that new hair length be void of drugs?

I know people will say this is unrealistic but I'm trying to understand the way the the test works. Is it three months because one has three months worth of hair growth they can use? or is it three months because somehow it takes 3 months for new hair to grow clean of drugs metabolites or residue or whatever?

I have read any new hair length that grows 10 days after being fully shaven should be clean? does this make sense? its hard to find a straight answer since most people are talking about a forced test where you have no choice, however for an employment test they sometimes tell you to come back when you have hair or you know its coming up. however I have also read that depending on the hair cycle that some body hair can have older hairs thats are still dirty, despite being shaven totally after last use?

Thanks.

2. Yellow Brick Reality

Yellow Brick Reality Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from Ohio, United States
    For hair on the head it grows an average of a quarter inch per month. Some people grow hair much more quickly others slower. That is the average.
    Then you need to know how each drug is metabolized, it's half life. Then figure out how long it would take for that hair to grow out enough on the head for testing.
    I would search for forensic drug hair testing if your looking for an exact answer.
    It's pretty complex, however I've read that it shows drug use over 3 months because hair older than this is rarely used for testing. Generally,the hair itself degrades and becomes harder to test.
    It also depends on the lab and how precise their equipment is.

3. TheBigBadWolf

TheBigBadWolf Apprentice Sorcerer Palladium Member Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    52 y/o from Germany
    I think that in modern times in US or Europe we do not need to fear lab equipment might be unprecise.

It's more a question of where you put a detection threshold that is realistic.

Three months obviously came from how long untreated hair keeps the info (drug metabolites) readable. And an inch is an inch - if you catch my drift - 2.5 cm doesn't sound as good ;)

BBW

4. ReppingPlates

ReppingPlates Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I still get it. If one ceases to use drugs for ten 2 weeks and then shaves all their hair off, would the new hair be clean of drugs?

5. Yellow Brick Reality

Yellow Brick Reality Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from Ohio, United States
    As long as the specific drug in question has a shorter half life like 4-8 hours then yes you should be fine. I'd wait 3 weeks to be safe. Then shave and grow hair back out.
    Some benzo's in particular have a very long half life namely diazepam and Klonopin. So it just depends on which one you have in mind. Diazepam for instance can last as long as 8 days to reach 1/2 the original potency. 16 days for its active metabolite to reach 1/2 strength. So you would have to wait at least 1&1/2 months then shave then grow for this one.

6. ReppingPlates

ReppingPlates Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I was thinking of xanax. Thanks for taking the time to respond.