Addiction - Hair loss and adrenal fatigue from long term kratom use?

Discussion in 'Kratom' started by DepoV, Oct 28, 2013.

1. DepoV

DepoV Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    I've been addicted ( deep and bad) to opiates for over 2 years, when I finally managed to quit it completely, haven't had one single pill since July 19 of this year. All thanks to kratom. I still take it daily, feel like I just can't get off it. Somehow I do prefer this habit over oxys, morphine or anything alike, since it is legal and easy to come by.

I first discovered the kratom end of may, when I visited a local head shop and it didn't take long before I realized that it will definitely help me get off the opiates. So, I used it off and on until my final opiate quit day. And, ever since I started using kratom, I've experienced a massive shedding of hair.

Now I've been on it daily ever since July 19, all throughout the day. It's my only "lifeline" or so it feels. I want to quit, but I can't. Without it, I have zero will to live, or so it feels. It's the first thing I take when getting up in the mornings and the last thing before bedtime.

It doesn't make me "drugged up", woozy or anything, just helps me get through the day, which feels completely worthless without opiates, but that's a road I never want to go back on.

Middle of September month, I did decide to quit the kratom and I managed a whole week. But, life was shitty and once more I was bedridden with zero spunk. Eating, showering, just the smallest tasks felt like climbing Mount Everest. And I caved in and got another bag. My "will to live" went from zero to a hundred within ten minutes of the first cup of kratom tea.

I use between 10 and 20 grams a day.

I just wonder if this hair loss is due to adrenal fatigue or thyroid problems from the substance? Ever since I started it back in end of may, I got heavy hot flashes throughout the whole day, several times an hour, soaking my whole body. I also woke up several times a night drenched in sweat. I thought it might be due to menopause or something, but also suspected the kratom. Just a day or so off of it back in September, the hot flashes just endes as suddenly as they came and have stayed away even after I got back onto kratom again.

Wtf? I'm dedicated to quit it again now. I have gotten tremendous help from it, since it basically saved my my life and helped me off of opiates, but I suspect it messes with my endocrine system now and I don't want to get bald, lol. I still have about 90 grams left of my latest supply, which I will slowly taper down on, starting tomorrow. And then, when it's gone, never buy it again.

I also feel it dehydrates me, incredible much. Is there anyone here that recognizes anything in my experiences? Is it just a fluke that my hair loss started up a little after first starting the kratom, or could it actually be due to it? The thing with the hot flashes are just odd too, but just as odd I don't have them now when I'm back on kratom again.

DepoV added 44 Minutes and 15 Seconds later...

I can't find an edit tool on here, so I just add it in a new post. But, I wanted to add that ever since September, when I got on the kratomtrain again, I'm only using Bali. Before that, I alternated between the same and Maeng Da. I heard the Bali is way less potent and stimulating.

When I used the Maeng Da, especially too much, I got a weird overstimulated feeling, as if I drank too much coffee. I also got a hard time to focus with my eyes. Also brain zaps, pretty much the same I got when I quit Effexor a long time ago.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  2. electricjw

electricjw Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I have also experienced hair loss, and it all started while I was using kratom daily. I have been losing hair in my beard and now I have like 3 or so bald spots and it seems to be getting worse. I really do believe it is the kratom, as that has been the only difference in my life at the time, other than some stress from work, but I dont believe it is from stress. I have just recently quit kratom and it seem to be slowly getting better. At first, the hair falling out did not have the white 'bulb' on the root of the hair follicle, but now after quitting, the white 'bulb' is starting to show up again. So hopefully it will go back to normal and I will quit losing hair too. I too, also believe that kratom affects adrenal fatigue and I wonder if there is a way to offset this while taking kratom.

However, I did take an oral dose of cannabis 2 days in a row and i did notice hair regrowth in one of teh bald spots. So I'm going to research this more and see if it can provide a cure, which so far the results are promising.

3. DepoV

DepoV Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Hi and thank you for your answer!

Very interesting, you seem to experience something similar! I've read that adrenal fatigue could cause body hair to fall out. I'm not too hairy, so I don't think I'm affected that way.

When I was on opiates, my hair ( head) was perfect, always have been. Maybe this is just a reaction of me struggling with this addiction for so long, not being able to quit, and experiencing extreme anxiety due to all my failures to quit. Leading me to do more. But, I do suspect my adrenals are involved.

I also noticed I have wrinkly fingertips at all times, as if they've been soaked in water too long. They're fine first thing in the am, when waking up, but prune up within the hour, which is when I have my first cups of kratom. Somehow, I think it's messing with my sodium levels, dehydration regardless of h2o amounts taken, and drops my am cortisol levels that tends to (guessing here) spike at night, waking me up every night at 3 am, unable to fall back asleep.

The last few days I've tried real hard to cut down on kratom, but it's hard. I've noticed I'm taking it, because I'm bored. So goddamn bored, and it tricks me into feeling "less bored". But, I think it really does drain the energy from me. It has done it's job now, I know I will never start abusing pills again, now it's time to let go of this lifeline and managing on my own.
    I also started to drink a few glasses a day with a pinch of good quality sea salt, which might help the adrenals, and also drink Liqorice Root tea, which does the same.
    I took 15 mg of melatonin last night which is supposed to balance off the cortisol, but still woke up at 3 am this morning...goddam...

Oral cannabis, what is that? Like "brownies" or candy? I'll try anything that might be helpful, so please update whatever you might find helping you!

Again, thank you and I hope you too get a healthy growing hair again! :)

4. Amazing Jeans

Amazing Jeans Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Not much to add but is it not possible that you two are just naturally losing hair?

5. DepoV

DepoV Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    I never had hair loss before starting kratom. Kratom, and me being in extreme stress from withdrawing from opiates, is the only "difference" I can pin it down to. I'm also a female, which usually don't lose hair...I hope? I did check my thyroid levels last spring, which were fine, which are usually the cause if a woman starts to lose hair.

It could, perhaps be, just a bad telogen effluvium period due to this extreme stress. But, it really started as soon as I discovered the kratom. My hot flashes too, they were just aweful. But again, they disappeared after just a day or two after quitting kratom for a week in September, and have stayed away ever since.

Well, I guess I just have to wait and see, and come to a conclusion a month or two completey off of the kratom. I pray to god my stupid hair loss will stop, this is the most awful thing I have ever experienced! But, in a weird sort of way, it has been helpful too...I have withdrawn a lot, just stayed home, not wanting to hang out with anyone. And therefore haven't exposed myself to drugs in the same manner as before. And I couldn't be happier that I managed to quit, today I'm on day 106 off of opiates! Yay me!!! :)

I just wonder if there's a connection of kratom and adrenal exhaustion, at least when overusing it, which I must admit I have. I hope, a year or so after I've been totally clean, I can start to enjoy kratom in small bits and pieces, on my own terms. Just a pleasure cup every Friday night or something like that. It is a wonderful, wonderful plant.

6. Amazing Jeans

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Firstly, very well done on getting off the Opiates and long may that continue. Another thing I can suggest is to try a different vendor for your Kratom.

My guess with regards to your hair loss is that it is down to stress.

7. DepoV

DepoV Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Thank you for your kind words! :)

Yes, I've been trying different vendors, alternating between getting kratom from my local headshop and buying online.

I hope too it's due to the stress.

8. electricjw

electricjw Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Yeah my hair loss in my beard just started recently. I quit opiates and ahven't done any this whole yr (2013), but started up kratom around april or so and in August I definitely noticed these bald spots in my beard. No way is this natural and it is not from stress. So if I was you, I wouldn't be satisfied with stress being the cause of your hair loss!! When I say April, I mean where I started to do it daily, until about sept sometime.

So Depo, is your hair loss just more hair falling out than normal or is there thin patches or even bald spots? I've also read that your diet plays a crucial role in your hair loss, besides genetics. Eating a lot of 'bad' foods like sugar and starches can help feed the bacteria/fungus/etc thats could be causing the problem. What I seem to have is alopecia barbea and it is a type of fungus, and it is an auto immune disease. Like I said, I had no problem like this before I started kratom, so I'm thinking that somehow kratom is lowering my immune system, which is not fighting off this fungus, when ordinarily it would.

when researching this before, it seemed like some people who had it, mentioned having adrenal fatigue or adrenal related problems. Other people seemed to have cured it from just fixing their diet. There diet was vegetables and certain meats (chicken being the best), and trying to eliminate eating diary, sugars, gluten, grains, and eggs. Also eating organic wouldnt hurt either! It seems like alopecia and its types affect all races, and types of people, but it seemed like the common link between them all to me, was the diet. Getting the CORRECT diet seemed to be key, but it is hard to follow. The main treatment through the medical field was to take some pill or cream, or get a steroid shot in the area. All of which took months for something to happen, which the bald spots can cure itself in months without the treatment, so its really hard to tell if it works at all, plus you must keep up with the medications and their costs.

9. DepoV

DepoV Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Eletricjw: Thanks again for writing and telling about your experience!

My hair loss is diffuse, so no bald spots. Just massive amounts of hair in the shower drain and everywhere else. Yea, I guess I could eat more, just that I don't have any appetite after quitting the opiates. But, I think at least, I'm getting enough proteins and vitamins. Less carbs now though after cutting out gluten. Gluten free bread taste pretty bad and is expensive. I'm sure I don't come up in the daily recommended 2000 calories. Perhaps 1200 cal. Eating has become a chore and is boring after quitting the ops...sad but true.

I refuse to ever going to a doctor unless I'm having a heart attack or something, lol, I have zero faith in them. I also have zero health insurance and the stupid opiate habit pretty much broke the bank.

Today is my first day off of kratom and again, here I am in full-blown wd. It's like this sh*t never ends. But I must quit just to see if it helps with my hair loss. And if it doesn't, screw it, I'll go back on kratom and become bald I guess, lol. But, kratom is the only thing that I can really pin it down to. The hair loss started pretty much right after I started using kratom. So, I must give it a try or I'll never forgive myself.

Just that everything is so hard when not taking kratom. I'm still in my friggn jammies, can't sleep, can't do anything but sit on my couch and feel sorry for myself.

One thing I'm looking forward to is getting full sized pupils back, which will happen on day 3 or so off of it, it did last time. I hate my pinpoint pupils.

10. Amazing Jeans

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    DepoV - Not much to add other than in your situation, I mean stopping true Opiates, I would suggest you do a taper with the Kratom to give you a smoother ride to 'normality'

All the best.

11. DepoV

DepoV Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Thank you! :)

I've tried tapering, I just can't manage that one bit. It was the same with the opiates, just had to stop all at once. Then the kratom became my lifeline. In the beginning I was doing a 30 gram bag, all throughout the day. Now I'm doing about half of that and it makes me feel like I'm having a purpose of getting up in the morning.

I don't trip on it though, it doesn't give me one bit of the wonderful feeling opiates can give, but it brings me back to my baseline, the one I've lost when I became physically addicted to the ops. It's truly has been that one thing I so needed to quit my expensive and detrimental addiction. But now I have to let go and find myself again without it.

Today was day 2 off of kratom. Not easy, but also not overwhelmingly hard. Last time I held up for a week in the beginning of September, it was almost a full-blown opiate wd. This time it's not, not yet at least...knock on wood here...But the existence is pretty bleak. It's like life isn't fun. I've been sitting mostly on my couch watching bad movies, taking naps and forced myself to eat something. And I've been chugging the h2o. I even managed to go on a trip to Walgreens to pick up a prescription of Ambien for my terrible insomnia. This time I won't abuse it though, just take it at nighttime. I did last night, but yet here I am, wide awake at 1 am. I just took 15 mg of melatonin hoping to get some more sleep.

I really, really must quit for good this time. While kratom is legal and way cheaper than street drugs and it has been a tremendous help for my struggles, it also turns me into couch potato. I can do my chores with no problems, but I have no drive to do anything else. That's not how I want to live my life. I figured, I've been on the couch for so long now I might as well spend a week or two extra on it and then, hopefully get my old me back. Full of energy and can work out and be busy.

I've read about people develop severe depressions after quitting. That's what's scares me. And I refuse starting up on an antidepressant, which I view to be worse than any opiate. I used Effexor about ten years ago and it turned me into a walking zombie, destroyed my marriage and the wd were horrific.

Thank you all who have written here! :). I'll keep you updated on my progress. This time I WILL make it, or I'm gonna kick my own ass. :)

12. Amazing Jeans

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    If you really want to stop you will stop, I have stopped a few times in the past for a few months at a time but I then seem to go back to it.

At my worst I was doing over 40g a day, at the moment I take one dose of 12.9g and that seems to keep me relatively satisfied.

I too have taken anti-depressants (Citalopram) and it started making me think suicidal thoughts several times a day so I stopped that cold turkey after about 9 weeks on it.

Good luck with everything DepoV.

13. DepoV

DepoV Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth

Thank you for answering and sharing!

Yes, I just tried to quit, again, went without for several days, which made life even more hellish than usual. So I made the bad decision to fill my ambien script this Monday, and I binged it all up in less than 2 days ( wrote a whole story about it I opiate addiction) And today I feel like hell, honestly, I thought several times I was gonna die, then I just started wishing I was, just to cry and pray to God to let me live anyways. Seriously, that stuff is dangerous! I can't eat today, I'm burning up, feels like I have a 104 F fever ( I don't) can't sleep, been wide awake with panic since yesterday last am dose was gone. I'm sitting here with a cold cup of kratom tea I can't get down, I've worked on the same cup the whole day ( this IS a step forward...I hope...gotta see the silver lining, right?)

I was actually sooo close today to text my dealer for opiates to help me out of this hellhole I created all by myself...but...I DIDN'T! ( another micro, or acctually; macro victory I can take to my pathetic bank and cash in AND put in my loser pipe, without smoking it, lol)

All in all; life sucks BIG time....but, when I read your answer, I started crying ( I'm so emotional) like a baby and I felt that you cared and for that I'm eternally thankful. Just so you know, I'm here for you too if you ever need to vent! :) And be proud of your accomplishments, it's not a small one by any means!

14. Amazing Jeans

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    You did very well in not ordering anything from your dealer, try to work on that thought and see it as a HUGE victory! In my honest opinion and you may totally disagree but I think it might help if you stay on the Kratom for a while until you are in a stronger position to have an attempt on quitting the Kratom as well.

It seems to me that you are trying to stop everything too quickly, while Kratom is not completely harmless it is atleast a very pure substance that is not doing too much damage to your body (perhaps none at all) and it does help you to stay off all the other things.

Stay strong. :)

15. DepoV

DepoV Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Yes, I did get 2 bags of kratom, but today, or yesterday actually, I couldn't stand drinking the tea I made in hope of getting some relief. The cup still stands on my table, ice cold and disgusting and therefore completely non appealing. I've never been repulsed by kratom before. It could also be due to the fact that i ran out of my sweetened coffecreamer and had to sweeten it with Splenda and a dash of regular milk, which is fairly disgusting as ive gotten used to my creamer. But, ive managed before to down it, regardless.

But then again, I've lost all my hunger feelings. The only thing I've managed to eat was some bananas which
    I had to force down. I also warmed up a frozen dinner yesterday in the oven in the am, hoping to eat it and rev up my metabolism and up my low core temp, only to manage to take two bites, feeling as if I'm gonna vomit, and had to throw it in the trash.

Gah! I went from feeling real crappy, to feeling even crappier by doing this. I hope to get another couple of hours of sleep now, but I'm scared to death of the vivid night mares I'm getting, making me wake up screaming in panic after just 1 hour or less at a time. It's like the whole world is closing in on me and I'm really losing it this time. Perhaps I'm going mental? My brain cells have denatured...? But that only happens with high fevers, and I'm far from even the normal body temp, being so cold.

I promise, if I'll make it through this, get stronger and well again, I'll start going to church. Ill be a good person. I'll even get an education as a drug counselor, work for free to help other lost souls. I'll do anything...

Again, thanks for your support and reading my vents and rambling!

16. ianzombie

ianzombie Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    42 y/o from ireland
    I find tea easier to drink if its hot.
    You could always boil it down to a single shot. It tastes vile but its quick drinking and if you have something to chase it with its not so bad.

Hair loss?
    Cant say i have noticed anything over the last several years of use that could not be contributed to age.
    Ive had a touch of hair cancer since before i started using but i still have a good head of hair. My father was bald by 26 so i'm doing ok.
    Its not something i have ever come across before this thread. I really dont think its down to kratom, but i suppose there is always someone who is affected by something differently than the rest.

17. msje1993

msje1993 Silver Member Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    LISTEN UP

tagament caused hair to fall out
    Big Time people use this as a kratom
    potanaitor.when she stopped
    using it her hair stopped falling
    out!!!:)

msje1993 added 15 Minutes and 54 Seconds later...

I found out Tagament used for potanation
    of Kratom made HAIR FALL OUT when she
    cut out the tagamet het hair stopped falling
    out. After that she took Biotin daily
    too to try to hurry up the damage that's been done
    and it made her hair much stronget too!!! :)

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
  18. ianzombie

ianzombie Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    42 y/o from ireland
    Do you have any reason to believe it was the Tagament?
    The only information i can find on Tagament and Hair Loss is that it is sometimes used to Treat hair loss.

By Diana Rodriguez
    Medically reviewed by Lindsey Marcellin, MD, MPH
    http://www.everydayhealth.com/hair-loss/hair-loss-treatment-tagamet.aspx

19. msje1993

msje1993 Silver Member Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Yes I do because it completly stopped imediatley!!!

msje1993 added 4 Minutes and 28 Seconds later...

If you pull on your hair
    lightly your hair will come rite out
    stop taking the tagamet for eaven 1 full day
    then tug on it you will
    be so relieved!!it took only 1 or 2
    days to see

msje1993 added 14 Minutes and 54 Seconds later...

look this may be because they haven't
    climbed the trees in indonesia and found
    tagament with kratom works in the opposit
    way but I haven't any reason to
    make this up I'm a 44 yr old hard working
    woman who happens to care. for people
    ho care enough to keep there hair
    could try 2 days without tagamet and see
    for themselves. I will look further into this
    after work but gotta go

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
  20. DepoV

DepoV Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Msje1993; I have never heard of tagament! Sorry, my brain is currently on a vaca, left me in a hurry and I have a hard time right now to understand the simplest things. You must explain it to me like I was a two year old :) But man, this does give me HOPE and a whole new will to quit!

So, this tagament occurs naturally in kratom? And together with kratom it can cause hair loss? What does potanatior means? That tagament additive is used to make the kratom more potent? So, the
    kratom ( I only use the powdered stuff, the last few months only Bali, and never the enhanced stuff)
    we buy online or in head shops are not ( never) just pure kratom? That is; just grinded up dried kratom leaves?
    So, I AM actually poisoning my hair follicles every time I enjoy a cup of kratom? Huh, go figure! Well, I just woke up again, after yet an hour of restless sleep, and I havent had any kratom yet today, so far! I will actually try to really go through with this now, and stop! And yesterday, I had only a few sips. I really haven't had that much kratom at all the whole week, since ive been Zombiefied by Ambien.

I was thinking more in the line of that kratom itself can mess with the endocrine system and therefore cause secondary related hair loss. But I will try! I just have to! Or I will just never find out! :)

janzombie; thank you for your answers! Im gonna do some research on this tagament/kratom/hair loss subject today! It sounds odd that tagament, at the same time, is used to halt HL. I don't think I have the genetic kind of HL, with the DHT destroying my follicles, but who knows. But I know, that when I "only" abused opiates, my hair was growing normally and I didn't have any problems with HL. But, does kratom really come with tagament? Or is it something that some people use on their own, to enhance the kratom effects? In that case, I don't use it, never have.

Anyhow, thank you both! :)