Opinions - Hangover and creativity

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by psyche, Sep 2, 2006.

1. psyche

psyche Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o from finland
    First of all, do you feel that your creativity is enhanced by hangover. Secondly, do any of you have an idea why is that? Metabolites? It seems to me that they are only toxic. Is brain somehow (temporarily) damaged so that firing patterns go more randomly causing seemingly more creativity?

2. tre2005be

tre2005be Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    i've never really thought about it before but i often have abstract thoughts when nursing a hangover, and quite often solve problems that have been running round my head.

good question

3. Nature Boy

Nature Boy Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from ireland
    SWIM oftens finds himself waking up early when he's hungover as opposed to the usual stoned sleep into the afternoon. I wouldn't so much say that a hangover boosts creativity, it just boosts occupying oneself with something because it's better to overcome the hangover with some sort of activity rather than just sitting there and accepting it.

4. psyche

psyche Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o from finland
    I don't think I buy the occipying-theory. I and my friends agree that my imagination flies higher when hang over. Also, my hangovers are usually mostly tiredness and I feel sometimes even better than normal. I was hang over at morning and he started wondering if there's some good explonation. Actually it was my friend who first thought that hangover enhances creativity and I found the same to be true when he payed attention to it.

5. Metternich

Metternich Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I have found that thier creativity suffers when feeling ill, and hangovers have no creative effect. For Swim a hangover is like a period of depression, and they cannot move themself to do anything remotely useful or diverting other than shutting the blinds. Not that I am wallowing in it, it's just that when they get hangovers they get them bad and then it just hurts to even think.

this is interesting though. I hasn't heard of "creative hangovers" before and would like to read more experiences/opinions.

6. Akewstick

Akewstick Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    I got the grades at A level this summer, C D E, the Subject he got a C in, he did 2 exams with a hangover, and 2 stoned, and 2 sober, and the other 2 subjects he did 100% sober.

What does this prove? Probably just that he was much better the first subject, and would have got A/B if he'd have straightened up, but this isn't the conclusion he wants to draw from it. So he hasn't.

7. DEViANCE

DEViANCE Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Strange, I have just turned the radio on and caught a converstation between the talk show host and their guest. This is how it went.

They would have to second what Nature Boy said, they too wake up early on a hangover. Even when they need to sleep.

As for boosting creativity they cannot confirm they have had any such phenomenon in fact the opposite and as a music producers they find that any work done on the day of the hangover sounds good though when listened back on a day later or so it doesn't sound as it should so for them the enhancment is artificial.

However.... their mindset is altered and they certainly do feel someone different in their persona on certain hangovers, their thought processes are altered slightly and they find they can say things to people that they wouldn't normally say. They seem to be overtly direct and forward in their communications and what they are thinking. This is on no bad scale as they can still refrain from holding back things that are best not said but they do seem to be much more open and honest.

8. psyche

psyche Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o from finland
    I'm not saying my thinking abilities would be increased, no, I forget words often on hang over. Just that my thoughts go wilder and my wordchoices are more random i.e "creative", even considered afterwards. But it's nothing comparable to weed or any psychedelic drug indeed.

Early waking is logical because alcohol greatly reduces the quality of sleep. That contributes to part of the hang over. In addition to that is obvious loss of fluids, instant withdrawal and alcohols toxic metabolites. Drinking liters of beer or cider can contribute to the stomach discomfort.

9. Forthesevenlakes

Forthesevenlakes Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    maybe it has to do with the fact that alcohol is a depressant. after any drug use, theres a rebound effect that usually takes the form of effects opposite to what the drug would produce. so, after a dose of a depressant like this, the brain would increase its firing rate (presumably) thus leading to more brain activity and for swiy, more creativity. thats swim's .02 anyway.

10. psyche

psyche Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o from finland
    You are right, lakes, wonder how I didn't come to think that. Altough it might be only part of it but definately good point. Are shaky hands also explained by desensitisation of DA receptors (at basal ganglia) or having too litlle DA like in Parkinson's.

11. Forthesevenlakes

Forthesevenlakes Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    hm. could be action at the basal ganglia or cerebellum...but I am guessing that its probably cerebral overactivity and thus overstimulation that is causing the hand tremors...not a dopamine deficiency like in parkinson's. its probably still gaba-mediated you know? like maybe there is a "usual" level of dopamine in these areas but less gaba than normal providing inhibition there.

12. izzy31

izzy31 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from turkmenistan
    Headaches and nausea doesn't make me creative at all.

13. fatmanstan

fatmanstan Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from The Netherlands
    SWIM heard once upon a time that one of alcohol's (ethanol's) metabolites is a stimulant. I used to get drunk almost for the stimulation he got the next day. He finds that he definitely works alots harder at work if he has had one too many the night before. If he has had about 12 too many, different story altogether. From SWIM's point of view, the stimulation is strictly physical, ie want to get moving and doing something, not really creative, ie working on a speech/essay or graphics type stuff (brain work).

14. azrael2600

azrael2600 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    hang over

swims creativity level is severely impaired when having a hangover. Swim doen'st get head aches when having a hangover, but gets a more of head cloudiness going on, which severely impairs swims thoughts.

15. fnord

fnord Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    just hook yourself up to an ive before you sleep and youll be fine in the morning

16. dangerousdave

dangerousdave Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I awlays get very abstract thoughts when nursing a hangover after excessive drinking, they often seem clear and absolute. These thoughts often are followed / preceded by periods of confusion. Whilst my mind feels 'clear and absolute' i tend to feel rather disasociated from my body, and emotions feel relativly blank. It is also a relaxed state, I become more open to suggestion. I believe it can make me feel more creative; I have on occasion written stories / mini essays on subjects whilst in this state, which is not something I would normally do.

17. Bajeda

Bajeda Super Moderator Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Re: hang over

That sounds like swim. He doesn't understand how one could get increased creativity from the day-after effects of consuming alcohol.

Even if he gets "different" thoughts (not necessarily creative) his mind is so clouded and tired theres not much to do with them.

18. psilocybin

psilocybin Newbie

Reputation Points:
    32 y/o from U.K.
    sorry didn't read all the replies. when i get a hangover i get them really bad, and relly often! i get really horny when i'm hung over even when i feel like im gonna be sick. i always assumed this was due to hormone levels, like testosterone being different.. anyone else noticed this?

19. Tony Blair

Tony Blair Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I've noticed all of the above, it can go anywhichway :)

20. Frankster420

Frankster420 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    I am intrigued that hangovers actually cause creativity because for SWIM they just cause very unpleasent naseua and headaches.