1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP

Effects - Have Maeng Da or Thai strains the "opioid effect"?

Discussion in 'Kratom' started by picuru, Oct 23, 2012.

1. picuru

picuru Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from Canada
    Hi, SWIM has read that Maeng Da or Thai strains are stimulant and energizers, I have only tried Bali and has a potent opioid effect.
    SWIM`s question is if Maeng Da strains or Thai strains have any opioid effect? Or is like having a cup of coffee?

Thanks.

2. profesor

profesor Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from Colorado, U.S.A.
    I'm not very experienced, but in the opposite situation, I started with maeng da and just recently tried bali. The "energizing" properties are not like coffee, more like a non-lite beer on an empty stomach, when you get this flood of carbohydrates and you get a "relaxed" kind of energy.
    Really for me at <5g doses, I just stopped being tired and achy in the evenings- I wasn't suddenly filled with extra energy, but it also didn't seem to give me any problems sleeping. There's a definite opioid "feel" to them.
    When you start taking larger doses (I don't know you're tolerance or how much you usually take) it really stops being energizing and is almost exactly like Bali.
    I tried Thai and was disappointed, although it possibly could have been the fault of that particular source. I think the extra money for Maeng Da is almost always worthwhile at better vendors. As far as extracts, after once getting an Maeng Da extract I don't buy them anymore, I'm afraid I'd start having addiction problems if I continued using it. In speediness, it wasn't too different from powder.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2012
  3. seaturtle

seaturtle Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Bali gives me alot more stimulation than Maeng Da, and both give a potent opioid effect. I've found Maeng Da to be a more pure opiate effect since it lacks the stimulation. However strains vary from vendor to vendor so Kratom called Bali at one place may be way different than what another vendor is selling as Bali.

4. ianzombie

ianzombie Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    41 y/o from ireland
    All kratom will produce opiate like effects to some extent. Some are more stimulating that others, some more sedating, although all strains will produce both effects depending on dose.

Vein colour is more of an indication of stimulant/sedative quality than strain location.
    However some strains are particularly stimulating compared to others.

I like Thai kratom, its what i started with several years ago.
    Personally i am not great with caffeine, but i am better with kratom when it comes to stimulation. I do get the jitters that id associate with caffeine intoxication from taking too much kratom, but i do not seem to get the same level of anxiety i associate with caffeine.