1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP

Health - Have Shrooms Messed Me Up Forever?!

Discussion in 'Magic Mushrooms (Psilocybe & Amanita)' started by zedsdead, Apr 6, 2014.

1. zedsdead

zedsdead Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Okay so this is partly an experience but it also segways into an important health question so I wasn't sure if this was the correct place to put it, anyhow lets begin.

Story

So to summarize best I can, before I started using psychedelics I was a heavy smoker. Weed would definitely have been my substance of choice. I later discovered my love for psychedelic mushrooms and started to use them alot more frequently then any person with a tenth of a brain knows they should. I basically was doing them in large doses every week.

Now the final time I did them I did my regular large dose and tripped hard but in a very pleasant way as I had numerous times before. Although this time, for the first time my trip turned very bad. (obviously due to me overdoing the bejesus out of it) at least thats what I assume. Now from what I'd heard prior to this, a bad trip was just temporary discomfort but mine was so intense that it essentially gave me some ptsd.

After two months of daily panic attacks and some other very messed up shit going down,

Including:
    - Anxiety/attacks
    - Depression
    - quick hallucinations
    - all around feeling like a bag of dicks.

I decided to go see a doctor. The doctor diagnosed me with drug induced anxiety.

I worked with meditation and various other methods of relaxation and I'm now able to keep myself relatively anxiety attack free although there is the odd one here and there.

The question

Okay that was a long summary.

Finally the issue I'm curious about. As I said weed used to be my favourite but with the effects of this fun situation I described above I also cannot smoke weed anymore. My high is fine but my burnout triggers awful panic attacks and this is insanely upsetting to me.

Weed has always been my waiting period drug to keep me from frequenting harder stuff even more than I already do. That and it has helped me mend numerous relationships and I would very much like to be able to smoke it again.

Do any of you experienced people out there have any advice as to how I could possibly make this happen ?

P.S any thoughts at all are welcome!

2. ianzombie

ianzombie Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    42 y/o from ireland
    Re: Have Shrooms Messed Me up Forever ?!

I suggest you lay off all drugs for a while.
    Nothing at all, no drinking or smoking, no caffeine or excessive amounts of sugar.
    Eat a balanced healthy diet.
    Exercise daily.
    Get into a regular sleeping pattern.

These are all things you need to start doing no to help your recovery.
    Who knows how long it might take but working on it is essential.

Its believed that drug use can trigger underlying psychological issues that would have surfaced in time, as you are young and around the age that issues like anxiety or depression usually surface it is possible you have sped up the process by abusing drugs like you did.

You did right to go to the doctor, stick with what he said for the moment but i would advise you to lay off the cannabis.

3. zedsdead

zedsdead Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from earth

Thank-you for the advice!

I dont think I made it clear how long it has been since this occurred.
    After a while I did exactly as you suggested quitting everything and leading a healthy lifestyle for months and months. This did help with my anxiety as well as the other things but then eventually after about 5 months it plateaud. I did not feel nearly as bad as before but no changes for about 4 more months.

At about the 10 month mark I got tired of waiting due to my love of other drugs and began drinking occasionally as well as occasional MDMA, Morphine, Codeine, and other substance use. None of these give me anxiety so I haven't exactly avoided them. As of now I never have panic attacks just mild anxiety like most people I'm sure. Its only cannabis that triggers the attacks.

p.s my post may have come across as more melodramatic all the symptoms are gone excluding anxiety.

I hope that clears some things up slightly.

You wouldn't happen to have any other advice to share?

4. ianzombie

Reputation Points:
    42 y/o from ireland

Well i would still go with quitting the cannabis if it is causing you anxiety.
    Many people, including myself, hit the wall where smoking stops being an enjoyable experience and call it quits.

5. zedsdead

zedsdead Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from earth

Thanks for the speedy responses.

Yeah I agree with that I haven't touched the stuff in a while I was more wondering if you think there will ever be a time when I would be able to again.

Or are you suggesting just permanently giving up on it?

6. ianzombie

Reputation Points:
    42 y/o from ireland

Well if you try it again after a few months and it still gives you anxiety attacks then there is not much point in smoking it again.
    Only trying it every few months or years will let you know if it is going to keep causing you anxiety.

I no longer smoke for the same reason.

7. zedsdead

zedsdead Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from earth

Alright Thank you very much ! All the advice is appreciated.

So I take it from your profile you can still use mushrooms despite your anxieties ?

8. ianzombie

Reputation Points:
    42 y/o from ireland

Yeah, i only have the problem with cannabis.

I take SSRI meds for depression and anxiety and they work great.
    Only when i am very hungover or if i try smoking weed do i get anxiety attacks these days.

9. zedsdead

zedsdead Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from earth

Are there any ill effects to taking that sort of medication or would you recommend it?

10. ianzombie

Reputation Points:
    42 y/o from ireland

Lots of side effects, like with most anti-depressants. They have helped me greatly though.
    If you don't need them then i wouldn't take them, your doctor would probably have suggested them i they felt it necessary.

11. zedsdead

zedsdead Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from earth

Thats true. But my current family doctor is vary anti drug and old fashioned. Maybe I'll speak with a different doctor and get a second opinion.

12. nells

nells Newbie

Reputation Points:
    21 y/o from england
    Hi. You may not reply to this but i am intrigued to know if you tried cannabis again and how it went.

I stopped smoking cannabis 7 months ago after a very bad panic attack on the tuesday after smoking a joint after a weekend on speed. (I did give birth only 5 weeks prior to this weekend) i see it as a way to start losing the baby weivht snd id used speed before and loved it before being pregnant.

After that panic attack i have had endless anxiety and got diagnosed with gad and health anxiety. I smoked weed from 17yrs old up till 7 months ago and im now a month away from being 21. I even smoked through my pregnancy.

There is nothing more I crave at times like a joint but I too am on ssri medication for anxiety.

13. Susmaster310

Susmaster310 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    20 y/o from Hawthorne, California 90250, United States
    To be honest man listen to your body not your mind sometimes its rejecting it for a reason. Maybe later youll take a hit or two. maybe your smoking ends here thats not a bad thing. I also got into the psychedelics after weeds and over did it. I was testing my limits and felt powerful, smart, confident, I was at my prime in life when i discovered them one by one exploring as much as i could. till one night i decided to just keep eating my stash of shrooms i had an oz i ate around 17 grams long story short (dont feel like typing) I was alone in my room for the night. I think the best trips youll have are when your alone. As soon as the peak started coming i knew something was coming and coming strong. i could feel it raceing thro my viens. I had tryed shrooms 25 times prior to this day i didnt even think anything of it i was thinking i was just gonna have to just confront and resolve. By the time i was peaking i was at overload my poor soul could't take it i was strong but not invincible. They took me apart and (what i would call) scanned me like i was data. Relieved me front memories holding me back and my mistakes. it did relive me but it left my stunned, broken, as if they took a piece of me for me to retrieve when i need the last piece of my puzzle. Im still working on getting myself back to one piece.
    I have side effects like random sights of hullicinations
    vague memories of trips some memories
    i talk to myself all the time
    I feel like im about to explode when people talk to me i get nervous and my words dont flow like they used too
    What i hate the most!!! The twitches i get in my muscles (neck, fingers, toe, leg, eye, etx.) I fucking hate it. Somtimes it will do it randomly i know people saw it happen but no one really says anything. Im not going to explain why it happened either.
    I promise you are not the only one like this we just need to work on it step by step. I will return to get that last piece. Sorry i worded it weird thats the way i see it. I still dont know what they did to me that night dont even remember much. Just small parts and flashes. It was torture towards the end of it thats what got me the most how they just left after. Just left me to rot. I was crying on the floor i had never felt so much pain and suffer. towards the end of the trip personal events were revised. I just wasnt prepared for what came that night it ruined my life straight up. but on the bright side i am me this me because of what they did I became greedy and hungry for the power and knowledge that would be gain after a trip. i believe shrooms have the power to connect you with entities. Those entities are the host they will be your guide or your worst nightmare, or even someone who simply only wants to have a simple chat! shrooms till this day havnt been fully understood because of lack of research on the fungi. I recommend we stay in contact give feed back on ideas or statements. Shrooms in my opinion is thee most challenging psychedelic to over come. it takes a hold of you binds with you as one. you are apart of it and it part of you. not like other drugs like lsd or weed. Shrooms abilities are unique i see them as entities/form/life form what ever you want to call it. I recommend you listen to your body and what its trying to tell you. psychedelics can only show you so much. I learned that the hard way.

I also did try to do shrooms again 2 months after 3 grams and i couldnt stand it. I was uncomfortable and felt strange as if i didnt belong there or a feeling of why did i take them? As if they were asking why was i back so early. i havnt done them since i been busy with school and work but they still hold a special place in my heart. I didnt have an uncle Matt or a really close family member or anyone to get feedback from in highschool. Psychedelics unleashed my mind to numerous amounts of views and made me a pro at revising anything i set my mind too. What I'm trying to get across is before that night i had a girlfriend, a job in highschool, connects, i could bullshit my way out of anything, i could talk to a female no sweat, i could talk to a crowd or even be a speaker for presentations. it was all stripped away from that one night
    Its been 5 years since that night I'm 210 pounds ,i only watch tv i feel like my brain is being fryed, i cant get my words to flow right I'm broken. The only person who can help you is you. You are the only one who can save you. not weed or pills YOU!!! Carry on what you learned to help you with bringing things to one again. I did this to myself no one else, I have to have hope in myself. I never loose hope its what drives us to continue to pursue what we believe and want in life. Hope is what i treasure the most in my life today. I will return a better man than i left. I just discovered my official carrier as a technician that was relieving to have at least that was a good start for me after dropping out of college and being a couch bum for a few months then got moving to get my diploma so i could make more money to buy my self a nice car then a girlfriend
    see where im going with this i am building myself back up once again with out psychedelics. thats the hard part! I would smoke weed here and there because i have a med card it helps with calming me down or keeping me stable. Somtimes some types of weeds do get me anxious and shaky. I think its the intense amount of dosages we were giving our selfs of shrooms it thro off our brain chemistry. I would just focus on you for a while because you need your full attention for this. Dont try to explain this to people, only people who will understand is the people WHO UNDERSTAND PSYCHEDELICS. I dont know about you but i thankfully know friends that know just as much as i do but you will have people who look at you as a fool. Ill stop typing

14. Dr. Obscure

Dr. Obscure

Reputation Points:
    29 y/o from New York, United States
    No. Nothing lasts, but nothing is lost.

You will be OK. (I've eaten too many mushrooms).

15. Dhalsim

Dhalsim Newbie

Reputation Points:
    33 y/o from Victoria, Australia
    Hey there, I was diagnosed with drug induced psychosis from smoking weed. I've had several relapses from smoking it and am unable to smoke it without being medicated for psychsis at the same time. So now I just accept that I'm going to be on medication for the foreseeable future.
    Be safe.