Opinions - Have to rant... Alcohol most dangerous drug on the planet

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Nicaine, Jul 3, 2006.

1. Nicaine

Nicaine Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from Rhode Island, U.S.A.
    OK, this is a rant guys. But what is it with alcohol being one of the goddamn most dangerous drugs on the planet. Mix it with tobacco & it causes high rates of oral and throat cancer. Mix with other substances (downs, coke) and it can be lethal. And by itself it's not only lethal in moderately high doses, but IMHO the buzz/high SUCKS! Unless you're just gonna toss down a couple beers on occasion. Which isn't really using alcohol as a drug anyway, if you know what I mean.

Why is this stuff legal, but so much else that's much less harmful is illegal. It's laughably ridiculous. Same with tobacco, although that's a different story. The two "legal drugs" are among the worst in existence. Instead of regulated by th FDA (like other substance) here in the US we've got the bureau of alcohol, tobacco and firearms, i.e. "bureau of taxation, 'sin money' to the government". Damn, I swear U.S. society is stuck somewhere back around 1850.

P.S. sorry, no offense to anyone. Things just seem so crazy sometimes that ya gotta rant & rave.

2. Nature Boy

Nature Boy Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from ireland
    Why are they legal? Tradition, that's why. Tobacco and alcohol have long been the drugs of choice for the governing white classes of the USA, a trend that has spread worldwide and prohibition of other drugs (especially cannabis and opium) have deep-rooted racist backgrounds. Truth is, US society is stuck somewhere back around 1850 but unfortunately prohibitionary trends are still very much post Second World War. At least in 1850 you could obtain drugs other than alcohol and tobacco legally.

3. StigmataLectron

StigmataLectron Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o from U.S.A.
    Alcohol and Tobacco kill you. See, the government wants to say that all drugs are harmful. Alcohol and Tobacco wreak havoc on your body. Other drugs attract cops to do the harm for you.

I somewhat agree with the alcohol "high" sucking. It's definitely better than being sober, more head relaxing than being stoned.. but with the harm alcohol does, why not go for GHB instead.

4. Psych0naut

Psych0naut Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    from The Netherlands
    The only problem with G is the short duration, and it's awful taste.
    But I have found a way to totally disguise the taste, so the only problem left is to smugle it with him when going out.

5. quili

quili Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I agree with both of you- nicaine and nature boy. It seems so ridiculous that alcohol is legal and it is absolutely out of tradition that these laws have developed. Alcohol has been used and accepted for centuries, all over the world. Tradition and accessibility is what I would think. Sometimes I am shocked when she reflects on how messed up she has been from alcohol versus other drugs that could never mess her up to that extent. I also agree that alcohol is not even very fun! And I have to make the argument, weed, of all things. Really. Swim cannot comprehend why this is illegal and alcohol is not. Well, perhaps she can comprehend it but she thinks it is completely illogical and stupid.

6. Nature Boy

Nature Boy Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from ireland
    Perfectly example of alcohol vs. illegal drugs:

SWIM once decided to do some shrooms in a friends' house for the night. Himself and about eight of his lab rats had their shrooms bought earlier in the day and tripped away merrily. Two other rats hadn't made it into town that day and didn't have any shrooms. In an attempt to get in the same frame of mind as the rest of them, they decided to drink 6 litres of beer each. Needless to say it was quite amusing to see the two rats stumbling around with sore heads as the rest of the rats all enjoyed a lovely clear-headed comedown off the shrooms.

7. Akewstick

Akewstick Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    I agree with all of the sentiments of this thread, apart from the bit where it says it's not good to be drunk. Being drunk is EXCELLENT, i'd like that cleared up.

8. quili

quili Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Being drunk is okay, but it gets old in swim's opinion (swim seems to crave change in general). Sometimes swim gets this "ug" feeling about drinking. Other times it's great and pretty fun. Plus, I feel moderately pissed off about alcohol right now because she got drunk and stoned last night and then kind of ruined- or at least made things a little more awkward/difficult- these friendships with a new group of people she's only hung out with a couple times. Swim hates waking up and feeling little pangs of regret after a night of drinking. It fades, but it's annoying nonetheless. But on the flip side, it's great to wake up and be able to go over various events from the night before and laugh/smile at them all day.

9. The Doors

The Doors Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    SWIM really doesn't like drinking. He didnt mind it until he discovered marijuana. Of course at first, like everyone else, SWIM believed marijuana was all hazardous to the body, brain and lungs but that soon changed once he bothered doing a bit of research.

I used to be able to drink his fair share (easily could drink up to 14beers without being too delurious)... Now he can barely finish his beer(when he has one...) If SWIM drinks now, he'd rather just drink a few glasses of mixed drinks(usually vodka with fruit punch) start feeling buzzed and then he will go smoke marijuana. SWIM greatly enjoys the mix of alcohol&marijuana, the buzz/high is amazing.

One thing is for certain though, SWIM highly doubts he's going to be really drunk anytime soon in his life. He really has no interest in alcohol.

10. quili

quili Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Good call, doors. When swim first started drinking she would just get trashed, but that's definitely not intriguing to her anymore. She almost always smokes after drinking now, too. She enjoys the kind of spinny feeling and agrees that it can be a pretty nice high. I am pretty much done with chugging stuff and taking shots. Just drinks wine casually a lot these days.

11. Abrad

Abrad R.I.P. Platinum Member & Advisor R.I.P.

Reputation Points:
    SWIM definetely enjoys a few drinks, although he doesn't enjoy getting stupidly drunk (anymore). It does get kind of boring but I find that taking a break of a month or two reduces his tolerance and allows him to enjoy it again. He also agrees that a couple of joints at the night is very nice after drinking.