Cultivation - Hawaiian Baby Woodrose -how to grow and cultivate?

Discussion in 'LSA seeds' started by blaze808, Jul 29, 2006.

1. blaze808

blaze808 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    sup all, im new to the forum and this is my first thread. My friend I live in hawaii and has noticed a lot of hawaiian baby woodrose vines with the brown seed pods growing all over the place, and was wondering how I could grow his own from a hbw plant? im asking this since I had a big ugly fence by his house and wanted to grow sum kind of vine on it anyways,, preferably something that might come in handy later. Also, how can the seeds be cultivated? I have never tried this bfore and have heard a lot of bad stuff about how ppl get posioned from stuff leaching into the seed from the pod.
    thanks for the help guys

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2007
  2. Alfa

Alfa Productive Insomniac Staff Member Administrator

Reputation Points:
    117 y/o from The Netherlands
    Simply put the seeds between wet tissues and let them stay there until they have sproutet. Then plant them in soil, either in a house pot or outside. Make sure they get enough water to keep the soil moist. Do not overwater. Plant the small plants somewhere in the sun and where they can climb.

3. Cakes

Cakes Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    Hawaiian Baby Woodrose can also be propagated by cuttings/clones as well as root division:
    • One can take pieces of the vine and treat them like marijuana clones.
    • Laying the vine next to the ground and attaching part of the vine to the ground<<<use soil or rocks or U-shaped pieces of metal to pin the vine to the ground>>>keep that piece of ground moist until the vine sprouts roots there.
    • Air layering, which is the same idea of putting moist medium next to the vine until it sprouts, except don't use the ground>>>use a wad of something held on the branch. One can wrap a handful of growing medium onto the branch. Put something moist and airy and then cover that wad with a piece of plastic wrap to keep it moist<<use self adhesive wrap or ties or tape so the moisture stays in there.
    • Root division is best done in springtime, but fall would work too probably<<during those periods, the plant can think about and do root growth easily. The idea is to cut a piece of the roots off and then have that new piece of root grow all on it's own. See what looks good and do it that way or else here is a few pointers>>probably the bigger the pieces are the better as long as the root isn't huge and stubby>>SWIM means don't cut off a piece of firewood>>>go for the supple roots>>the ones with white-ish appearance<<finger size is good>>get nice lengths of them<<a bunch joining together into a bigger one leading to the surface>>get roots with the small thread-like roots still attached <get it all> and maybe even some greenery/leaves to go with those roots. When transplanting into the new home, make sure the roots can spread out and then "soak them in" <<that means water the whole area Really good. and maybe put a few gallons of nutrient water on top of that. Then give the new plants shade<<at least three days of shade, probably more>>do it until they recover enough that they don't wilt.