Heat and Filtering (A 2 Part query)

Discussion in 'Opium & Poppy' started by MrJim, Mar 8, 2007.

1. MrJim

MrJim Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    So - It seems that it is always a given among the "teaheads" that you want to exercise extreme care in keeping the temperature of the tea below 85C - the thoery being that above that morphine converts repidly into pseudomorphine.
    When black tar heroin is made, especially out in the bush, they take a garbage can of boiling water and put big blocks of opium and acetic anhydride into it and then boil virousously for hours. The morphine isn't destroyed in that process - In fact it's converted into a more powerful semisynthetic. But I believe that the first part of the process is solely boiling water and opium - essentially poppy tea.
    The thing I have been pondering is this. First, swim put some tea on a low heat and then went out to do a quick errand. Long story short, this quick errand ended up taking almost 5 hours. He measured the tea temperature when he got back and it was above 85c. But when he drank the tea later it was one of the best batches he had brewed in quite some time.

This same batch of tea brings SWIM to query 2. He has always used coffee filters - and as anyone using them knows - they take a long time to drip through, and you normally have to resort to twisting clumps of wet straw with your hands to get it all out. Anyways, this last batch was filtered through a sifter. Yep, a flour sifter. It was very dark and thick. But I used about half the tea he had used with coffee filters previously and was blown away by how hard it hit him.
    So How important is heat, really?
    And what is the limit for overfiltering?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2007
  2. MrJim

MrJim Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    No one knows? In a place like this?

3. Laudaphun

Laudaphun Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I have always heard as a rule of thumb, the most important thing when brewing was just to never steep the pod matter in boiling water. SWIM once played around with tea and he would heat the water to boiling, remove it from heat and then add plant material after water temp had dropped below boiling. SWIM always heard that the reason being for keeping the pods from contact with boiling water was because morphine was sensitive to heat, and that the same was true for smoking opium and H. The reason that the original opium pipes were created in such a way as to melt the opium while keeping it from contact with the direct flame. Chasing the dragon I guess follows a similar concept. I would guess that direct flame may pose more of an issue than boiling water, so maybe its possible that water temp in tea got overemphasized by people. I should do some research to find out at which temperatures morphine would begin to decompose.

Hehe, as far as filtering... I was a trooper and drank tea, ground pod and all... =)

I am getting nauseous thinking about it.

4. MrJim

MrJim Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    Reading that made me gag a little bit.